Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I refuse to kill a smallmouth of any size. I also don't keep crappie 15" or bigger cause they lay so many eggs. On the other hand I never release a walleye that will keep or a spotted bass big enuff to make a sandwich. Walleyes because they are delicious and spots because they are really good and they don't get big enuff in our lakes to make a good sportfish. Spots have no size limit on my home lake and the creel limit is 20!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I wont keep any fish with fins.

Ingwewife likes to kill and eat brookies.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ingwe, so you eat lots of eels?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't keep any bass over about a pound and a half, and eat very few bass at all. Panfish (bluegills and crappes) are too fun to catch, and just too good to eat to look much further. I won't kill tiny walleyes either, but anything from a foot up to about 24 inches goes in the pan. 'Wish I could say I catch lots that are bigger than that and get released, but that's not usually the case.

No eelpout or dogfish will ever come into my boat. They're just too damned ugly.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll eat all the Burbot that Gophergunner throws back, love those ugly critters but rarely get to go fish for them. Always kept most any and all flatheads, channels, and blues growing up. Crappie that were bigger than my hand went in the boat if my Grandad was in charge. And bass got a pass, Dad was an avid bass fisherman and taught me to let them grow. Saugeye went on the string if they were legal length, as did walleye if we got to go trolling at the lake.

Nowadays I like to keep a handful of rockfish, a lingcod if we're lucky, maybe one small halibut, and about a dozen salmon per year. I usually smoke about 4-5 trout per winter that I catch ice fishing and we have one or to pike fries per year so I keep a dozen or so slimers for that plus a couple for the pickle jars.
Anything else gets released or given away to friends or family. We don't eat too much fish and I don't like cleaning and dealing with the dang things.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We always keep every Columbia River springer that we catch (as long as it's fin clipped). It's just like eating a self buttered fish.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
When I get the chance, we keep bluegills.. We also eat brookies..
When we get the chance to salmon fish, we like those.. Other than that, we eat few fish..

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Ingwe, so you eat lots of eels?

No I eat lots of the kind of fish I can catch here, shellfish and crustaceans. If it has claws or a shell I generally like it a lot! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
I wont keep any fish with fins.

No wonder you're always grumpy !

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not many fish I won't keep and eat...all depends on who was willing to take me on the boat with them.

One buddy is real involved in bass tourneys, and if he caught me killing ANY bass to take home and eat, well...I'd probably be made into chum for the bigger guys.

I love me some panfish.

Trout are not high on my list of fish to eat, but I'm not above smoking a couple here and there.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Keep- legal walleyes, panfish, legal salmon.
Throw back- everything else.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I'll never keep a Muskie, only thing I fish for so...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will not keep a bass , always keep perch.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
just caught some nice flatheads. 72#, 50#, and 18#. Kept all. Turn all big blue cats back. Keep small bass out of our lake. My buddy wanted me to take 1000 out this year. Still working on them..

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23
Not many fish I won't keep and eat...all depends on who was willing to take me on the boat with them.

One buddy is real involved in bass tourneys, and if he caught me killing ANY bass to take home and eat, well...I'd probably be made into chum for the bigger guys.

I love me some panfish.

Trout are not high on my list of fish to eat, but I'm not above smoking a couple here and there.

Bass tournaments kill more bass than people keeping a few to eat and that's a fact in the south. I have seen 20 - 30 dead fish after a tournament weigh in, many times in the warm water months. Fish caught in summer are hard to keep alive in even the most advanced live wells. And fish caught deep have to be fizzed or they belly up as soon as they go back into the water. Tournament Bass fisherman don't own the lakes and fish like they think they do. Keep all the bass you want.

Last edited by seal_billy; 07/18/15.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I never keep cat fish. They almost always taste like mud. I gave up on cleaning and cooking them. I catch lots of small ones when panfishing and they always get that snotty boogery crap up and down your line. Hate them things. I can see the sport in the big ones though and I'm guessing that caught somewhere else they are good to eat but I have ate them in restaurants also and I didn't like them there either.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd throw back any catfish I caught. I like fishing for bass and sunfish and will keep those if good size for eating/legal.
Wife likes trout so we keep those too.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I hate to eat stream trout. They taste awful. Trout that run up into streams out of lake Superior are different, they eat good, real good. Siskowit lakers are just grease balls. Native redfin lakers and Brook Trout out of Nipigon are superb. Bass under 3 lbs are good. Walleyes are good Cats out of cold water are good. Northerns are usually good. Panfish are good if you can get them big enough to be worth messing with. Eelpout are good. Bullheads out of cold water are good and truly gourmet when smoked.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Up until last summer, I never kept fresh water drum. They were scrappers and fought like the devil, but my Brother in law fried some up and I have to say, it was very good eating. Sooo, now a good size drum comes home with me if'n I catch one.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't keep trout. Don't like to eat them.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.