Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Ok guys, looking for people with actual experience using gear they can recommend, and not just what they read from advertisements. I hunt in PA, late archery and the rifle season can be in the 20s, or up in the 60s temp wise, most years it's in the 30s. I'm looking for pants and a jacket(outer layers) that are warm enough to use sitting in a tree stand, but breathable enough that I won't sweat to death still hunting, walking around, hiking in, etc. Breathability is huge, as I sweat easily. I'm thinking something fleece like material wise, as I need it to be quiet in the brush, or when drawing a bow in the tree stand. Water/wind repellency are a huge plus, but not required. I have the lighter season gear, and base layers covered, and I'm not looking for anything bulky, or anything like a heater body suit. Carbon scent control doesn't matter, as I'm not a huge believer in that. Price isn't much of a factor either. So, any suggestions of clothing that fits the above criteria?

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Nothing I've used is warmer and quieter than wool. That said, I've been using UA stuff the last few seasons and it's been great.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What style of UA, if you don't mind me asking?

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd have to look truthfully. But I have the long johns and a "storm" maybe for outer wear? They're quite enough for stand hunting, and lighter than the wool. I do wear a wool jacket if it gets down to around 0F though.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A few years ago I finally broke down and bought a Browning
Gore-tex jacket, it worked well keeping me dry when I was perspiring heavily. When on the stand I frequently wrapped it around my lower body and legs to help prevent heat loss. For the last several years I have used Underarmor as my base level, a waffle weave henly and fleece jacket. This has worked well in the temps between 30-50 degrees during deer season here in Indiana and Kentucky. I have several Woolrich cruiser style cape jackets that I use when the weather is colder. To control cost I purchase a lot of my hunting
clothing on eBay, frequently finding NWT or gently used items for little cost.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am with you on looking on line. We hunt hard in bad terrain and are really hard on clothing. I have been a fan of some type of wicking underwear for a long time, especially socks. It is hard to find orange outer clothing that is good quality even if you want to pay for it. After about 20+ years, my Remington camo orange pants and coat set were beyond repairing. I looked around and finally stumbled on a set of bib overalls made by Browning in Cabela's bargin cave. I am not a fan of bib overalls, but these are great. They have STEEL zippers. There is a large zipper in the front and long TWO WAY zippers in the legs. When I am walking around hunting, I always open up the zippers. It is not water proof, but I have gotten soaked in freezing rains and was still reasonably warm enough to stay out all day.
You have to go with what works for you, this is what I look for in hunting clothes.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Everything I own, from a long sleve T shirt all the way up to my heaviest outer garments, is all Realtree HD. This way, I can adjust my clothing according to the weather.

The best thing I own is a full rain suit. I didn't buy Gortex, it's Dry Plus, the knock off brand that Cabella's sells. It's a little cheaper. I'm not sure what the fabric is, but it's soft and quiet. The jacket and pants each roll up and fit into their little bags. I just keep them under the back seat of the truck. They're thin and light weight and will fit over all of the other layers regardless how cold it is. It's truly a full season garment and gives you water proof clothing whenever you need it. This would be a huge investment.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Borden,

I hunt the Adirondack Mountains from early October through the first weekend of December.

Most of the miles I put on involve climbing or descending. I prefer clothing that moves and stretches as I do.

Weather can be from 0 to 60 over that time period. I still hunt quite a bit, sit for long periods when circumstances dictate, and generally have a 4-5 mile hike to the truck at the end of the day.

For all these reasons I've settled on Sitka Gear as my go to clothing. Allows me to layer as needed, and I stay warm and dry.

This past season I replaced Sitkas base layer with good Merino wool, which turned out to be an excellent decision. Comfortable beyond description and warm.

While Sitka can be expensive, I've picked up a fair amount on Camo Fire at decent prices.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The cabelas berber fleece and wooltimate are two good lines of clothing that will suit your needs. With the windshear lining they are both great for a wide range of temperature and weather conditions. If you watch the bargain cave they can occasionally be purchased for very reasonable prices and they are both very high quality.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you use a belt, get rid of it and pick up a pair of suspenders. What a difference climbing hills all day.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I typically wear my Dad's Woolrich red & black plaid coat and pants. They're about 40 years old but still holding up quite well indeed.

TR

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sherwood; 07/17/15. Reason: photo added

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stormy Kromer hat for sure. Best $40 I've spent in a while. They come in actual sizes, so they fit properly.

I have two wool coats; a Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser, and a Cabelas washable wool I got on clearance. Nothing feels as good to me in the woods as a wool coat, but they are heavy and that can add to your fatigue if you're on the move a lot. I'm thinking of adding a lighter Filson to the pile just for still-hunting and milder days. I also have a Filson vest that adds a layer without binding up my arms. Filson stuff is pricey, but is very well made and well worth the money. Weatherby was selling some nice camo wool stuff, but I haven't seen it in a while.

Medium weight wool pants, from Army surplus to Woolrich have worked very well. Someday, I'd like to add a pair of Filson's.

For lack of something better on hand, I've been wearing fleece shirts most of the time. Fleece is warm and light, but on me anyway, moisture tends to collect inside and chill me. It does dry quickly. Another problem with fleece is that unless it has a wind-blocker layer layer, the wind goes right through it. The fleece and wool blends may be better. Here again, good wool would be nice, but spendy.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ive been upgrading my cold weather clothes myself

Gray Wolf Woolins bibs last year....coat this year

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I find fish patterns to work well in the warmer weather.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nyrifleman - what is Sitka products do you wear?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I like the 90% line until it gets below freezing....then I break out the Stratus. Merino wool under the Stratus, haven't been cold yet, although I don't typically sit for more than an hour at a time. I do carry the Incinerator puffy in my pack though, just in case.

On the trek out I'm typically just wearing the Merino top with the Sitka pants.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 07/18/15.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
For those of you sitting in a stand in really cold weather I think you may be well served by the insulated mid layer type underwear by Wiggy's.

I don't sit in stands much and have mostly gone to poly-pro long underwear in mid-weight, wool pants, layers on top one of which lately has been a "Wooltimate" pullover. It's unbelievably warm even wet, and not as heavy as a Filson Mac. It isn't my favorite wet though. When it starts raining I pull out my rolled up "Frog Toggs" to wear over the wool just so it isn't so soggy wet feeling.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
borden,

You may be asking too much of a single piece(s) to do all these things. If you sweat easily then bundling up for walking around, hiking in etc is going to get you heated up.

I'd stay with your lighter season gear/base layers for moving around and add a primaloft jacket and pants for sitting still for those long periods of time. You get lightweight warmth that packs down to nothing to stow in larger fanny pack or backpack. ie, get dressed when you get to your tree, stow when you're moving. smile

BTDT will top-of-the-line wool stuff. Weight and packability left me longing for additional alternatives.

Whatever you do, make sure everything matches - head-to-toe.
If you're not properly uniformed-up, one can't possibly kill deer. whistle whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you do, make sure everything matches - head-to-toe.
If you're not uniformed-up, one can't possibly kill deer. whistle whistle

That explains a few things. I usually look like I was caught in a thrift-store explosion.😜

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I much prefer the textile potpouri myself.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Focus on the undergarment.
Carhardt pants, wool shirts, Columbia headgear ànd quality gloves.
Windproof is important.
You can get really cheap wool garments off eBay. Think I paid 9 bucks for this Sitton of California jacket.
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Northeast Pa here, I like the merino base layer with a Woolrich shirt. Temp pending, i'll wear a insulated vest, if its cold or snowing I'll through an older cabelas hunting coat over top of everything. If I want to sit and its real cold I'll wear insulated bibs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First lite has some good stuff! Carhart insulated Bibs are another good thing to have for the coldest days. I haven't purchased it yet but looking into a Cabelas Goretex Parka think it's a MT050 or something?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You aren't gonna find one garment that will work for everything. Buy a decent size daypack and carry layers. I dress pretty light even in really cold weather getting into where I hunt then put on more stuff before I sit down. Take it off for the walk out. Anything that will keep you warm in a tree stand for 3 hours will burn you up walking more than 1/2 mile.

I've had good luck at local backpacking stores and even REI. They often have very high quality goose down and other winter gear reduced during the summer. One local store has winter stuff 50% off on June 1. Anything left on July 1 is 70% off.

I bought a Marmont goose down jacket and vest for $50 total a few years ago. It is a pretty ugly gray color, but works just fine for hunting. One or the other gets stuffed in the pack quite a lot.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Lots of good advice here. I personally prefer wool pants: quiet and warm. I have a mid-weight pair of Australian Army surplus pants that are hands down the best hunting pant I have ever seen. Lined, double layers at seat and knees and a button 'gaiter' hem that keeps everything out of my boots. They are comfortable here in Montana from the 60s to 0 or minus ten. I do vary the base layer accordingly from no base layer in warm weather to a heavy poly base in colder weather. I think I paid ten bucks for them twenty years ago at Bob Wards. They are so good that when they finally are too tattered to wear I am going to use the old pair as a pattern and have a tailor make me a new pair.

On top, a light synthetic wicking layer next to my skin then usually a Pendleton wool shirt. Over this various wool or fleece sweaters and down vests or jackets depending on conditions. I have Cabelas Dry Plus parka and pants for rainy/wet days though I don't bother with the pants when it snows.

I have fallen in water filled ditches and creeks wearing wool and it stays warm. Heavier but warmer than fleece.

Eddie Bauer has great sales for new stuff; just buy it out of season or on major holidays. Their down gear is excellent. Patagonia has outlet stores in various places around the country too and they also have some excellent sales. You can get on the email lists of both places and they will alert you to the upcoming sales. Here in Montana we have lots of second hand sports stores that sell stuff pretty cheaply. Surplus stores can also be good but make sure you are buying the genuine surplus and not cheap Chinese knock-offs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got two pairs of "German Wool Pants" that I got from Cabelas' surplus department some years back when my U.S, Army surplus wool pants began to tighten up on me for some reason. They were $25 each, I think. They are brown, scratchy, and very warm, and are nicely made. I have no idea what the origin is, military or civilian, but they do very nicely in the woods. They have suspender buttons too. The only downside is the camphor odor they had when new, but that wore off. They've got the dangdest zipper pull, a tiny ball on a stick, instead of a flat tab.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,090
Posts18,464,038
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.