Campfire Ranger

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
that price makes me happy, about double what i did mine for.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sticky chambers can be cleaned up.I have a Colt 38-40 that some of the parts were changed to make it safe to fire smokeless in it so it has two different serial numbers,with the newer one being a 1906 era or so. I also have a Marlin 94 in the same chambering from about the same time frame.

The problem with some of those early Colts was that they were made with .406 bores as that was also a popular cartridge back then and it being so close to .401,Colt stuck them on. The Buckeye Special has a true .401 bore
I have had no problem getting Starline brass, but one needs to watch out for the older balloon head brass and not load that very hot.

The problem comes with cast bullets unless you cast and load your own. I am sure there are other vendors,but Dardas Cast Bulets will sell .402 or .403 sized and lubed bulets,but they are a little hard.

I have a problem with my .406 bore as it needs a bigger bullet, but unless I get a special mold, I am kind of screwed. Then too, the throat is .401 and anything bigger gets swaged down anyway. So this old gun will only shoot about 3" groups at 15 yards and it shoots high and to the left about 3 inches each at best.

My best load has been 180 gr cast bullets and 7 gr of 2400 which shoots best in my relined Marlin .401 barrel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/07/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I didn't know that on the early bores, i am going to have to check that for sure.
my dad's ol pistol as i have posted on here before has an inscription scratched inside it with a mans name, southern az. city, circa 1914 and where it killed a grizz two shots in mexico. I have been leary of getting it worked on, the ratchet at the back of the cylinder is worn, and it doesn't line up properly. Need to get it fixed but don't want it screwed up. The other one has a story behind it too coming out of oklahoma.
Sure like that rifle. There is a winchester somewhere up in the bradshaws in a canyon in the caliber, slipped out of my dad's saddle holster in the heavy brush. circa the 1920's. Tried to find it 50years later but no luck. As a kid he always said how much he hated loosing that rifle.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Sticky chambers can be cleaned up.I have a Colt 38-40 that some of the parts were changed to make it safe to fire smokeless in it so it has two different serial numbers,with the newer one being a 1906 era or so. I also have a Marlin 94 in the same chambering from about the same time frame.

The problem with some of those early Colts was that they were made with .406 bores as that was also a popular cartridge back then and it being so close to .401,Colt stuck them on. The Buckeye Special has a true .401 bore
I have had no problem getting Starline brass, but one needs to watch out for the older balloon head brass and not load that very hot.

The problem comes with cast bullets unless you cast and load your own. I am sure there are other vendors,but Dardas Cast Bulets will sell .402 or .403 sized and lubed bulets,but they are a little hard.

I have a problem with my .406 bore as it needs a bigger bullet, but unless I get a special mold, I am kind of screwed. Then too, the throat is .401 and anything bigger gets swaged down anyway. So this old gun will only shoot about 3" groups at 15 yards and it shoots high and to the left about 3 inches each at best.

My best load has been 180 gr cast bullets and 7 gr of 2400 which shoots best in my relined Marlin .401 barrel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

those grips are about the same as it took me quite a few years and about 200bucks to get. The guy i got them from said they tend to mold to the gun over time, hard to find a new set cause of that reason. About the same vintage. The colt collector head in arizona told me the 38wcf was popular around the turn of the century with lawmen, and often used around the territorial prison at yuma. How things don't change given the s&w 40.
I might add got an email from a friend back in nebraska this morning talking about a colt delta elite a friend bought, blew up on him discharge down the magazine, had it fixed did it again both with factory ammo. This was in 10mm. I was telling him of running 200gr xtp's out of the blackhawk with the 10mm cyclinder with chrony'd velocity in the mid 1300's. Worked fine for me. that finish is pretty good for that vintage, i don't see them like that very often.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 08/07/15.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
if you are familar with those old bisley's, one other question. On my dads gun, it won't hold on the half cock. Always wondered about that and the reason why.
It's an interesting ol piece, the holster dates back to the turn of the century, and leather has been cut away to expose the trigger guard/trigger.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
as i sit here and think about it, as a young kid i don't remember a lot of bolt action guns, other than milsurp rifles like the 1917, 03, or the kraig. But i do remember a lot of lever actions. I think the levers were popular because they rode good in a scabbard . One of my other projects is a turn of the century 38.55 winchester take down, that i need to slug the bore and shoot it. I finally fixed the loose buttstock.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 4ager
I hope he does. They are a blast!

It came home with me last night. It's almost NIB, had less than 2 boxes of .38-40 through it and no 10mm.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Wow. I need to sell mine.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Holy sheetballs! Who wants to buy mine???

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I love to send those links to my wife/daughter. particularly after i tell them what i paid for one a few years back. The comeback is when are you gonna sell? After my death, guarantee a replacement husband will be at the door. Or friends wanting to help out.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i loaded some 38.40 for the first time today with no particular problems, bullets .402.
They fit just fine in a turn of the century bisley.
They would not fit in a buckeye blackhawk ruger.
I don't have any pin guages, but with my micrometer it looks like both the 10mm and 38wcf cylinders are undersized to .398 of .399. I think it's going to the gunsmith.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I went down and talked to a rather well known gunsmith that is a guru on early colts. He suggested that i could have a broken trigger/hammer on the early colt. The discussion that buckeye special came up, his comment being it would shoot factory ammo but probably would be an issue with reloads, which i have found out it is. Answer is to have it reamed, and maybe a few other things. For what it's worth. I think both are going in to him to have the work done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CraigC
Holy sheetballs! Who wants to buy mine???

Think I'll just stick to my S&W 610 smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have two WCF38's, oldest is 1890, sent to TX, carried by a Deputy US Marshal in TX and OK,
[Linked Image]
The other dates to 1920, sent to the Browning Brothers store in Utah, I shoot this one. [Linked Image]

Last edited by jbmi; 08/20/15.

"The older I get, the better I was"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I've got several in SAA and Lightnings, Winchester 1873, Marlins, Winchester 1892. I like the 38-40 the best of all the old chamberings...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice, Shrap.

But, you didn't show your newest USFA 38-40 Lightning... grin

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jbmi
I have two WCF38's, oldest is 1890, sent to TX, carried by a Deputy US Marshal in TX and OK,
[Linked Image]
The other dates to 1920, sent to the Browning Brothers store in Utah, I shoot this one. [Linked Image]

now they look familar, plus the ammo which i have the same stuff.
one of the bisley's has been needing repair for years. I have not done that because of the connection to the family and not wanting to risk issues with a gunsmith. But i think i got the right guy and need to get it done before it passes to the next generation. both of my bisley's have law enforcement backgrounds.

what's with the pabst blue ribbon beer? You been hanging around with kaywoodie?

Last edited by RoninPhx; 08/21/15.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i shot both of those old beasley's yesterday. They were minute of pop can out at 25 and 30 yards. A hoot to shoot.
not much roll in the hand or recoil, not a lot of flash, but they were shooting pretty good .

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jbmi

Dammit, I love that photograph.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,817 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.