Hop To
R
rnovi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ok, maybe not the normal boot question.

I have in my closet two sets of boots: Cabelas Meindl Perfekts (400g Thinsulate) 10" boots and a set of Alpha Burly 800 gr. Rubber boots.

In 2011 I wore my Alpha Burly Pro 800's on a snow filled tromp through Kodiak Island on my way to bagging a couple Sitka.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was a touch cool out...but warmed up throughout the week. I never really thought of my feet much. At the end of the day, my feet were darn sweaty-damp. But never cold.

In 2013 I did my Goat Hunt. I used my Cabelas Meindl Perfekt 10" boots. In spite of the horror stories, my feet were warm, dry, comfortable and the soles didn't peel off. Mind you, that was only 2 days of solid damp/wet hiking...but I'd put near 500 miles of wear on them breaking them in before the hunt. My boots were wet from the moment I hit the turf...but my feet never felt wet. Then again, it was only 48 hours total hiking and damp time...

[Linked Image]

I have a fall Brownie hunt in the Talkeetna's planned. September - which happens to be the second wettest month of the year. So, let's plan on spending 7 days in the high likelihood of wet. Temps should be a low of 40...high of upper-50's. That is, if you believe that Weather.com stuff.

My thoughts:

The Alpha Burly 800's: waterproof...but dang, at 800g of Thinsulate it's going to be a hot boot. I remember the sweat in them the first time and it's going to be at least 20 degrees warmer.

The Perfekts: were, in fact, perfect. Admittedly I spent 500 miles breaking them in and making sure these were defect free. They were. Love these boots. BUT! Experience has taught me (that is, 15 years of backpacking in the Sierra's) that leather and Gore-Tex can/will fail...it's just a matter of time.

Still, I love the Perfekt's...temp wise, they are right. I can grease the leather with Sno-Seal (I used 2 coats on my Goat Hunt with no issues) to help with the water.

Or, I could just buy another pair of rubber, non-insulated boots.

My gut tells me that new non-insulated Rubber Boots will work fine.

My heart tells me the Perfekt's will be fine, especially since they are a known quantity.

My guide prefer's hip boots.

What would YOU do?

PS: in a very odd moment in time, during my goat hunt the tide came in over a 2 hour period in our hunting spot. What was a minor trickle of water coming in turned into a 2' deep river 30' wide to cross. I had my rain pants on which I snugged extra tight with the velcro at the bottom. I added a length of cord around the ankle to snug it even more. And then, to the amazement of my guide, I simply ran through the river as fast as I could. Believe it or not, the water never had enough time to travel up my "sealed" ankles and water never made it into the boots. I made four stream crossings this way and the idea has stuck.

Hunt Africa while you can
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your guide says hip boots and you are asking what question again?

Sno-Seal truly sucks in the real wet stuff.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
rnovi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
To be clear: my guide always wears Hip boots. That's just his standard operating procedure. He did not specifically recommend hip boots. Just what he wears.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rnovi
To be clear: my guide always wears Hip boots. That's just his standard operating procedure. He did not specifically recommend hip boots. Just what he wears.

Originally Posted by rnovi
What would YOU do?

I guess I would take that as a hint.

And, good luck!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Sno-Seal truly sucks in the real wet stuff.

I concur. It also really sucks because it adds a really waxy character to the coffee when you have to resort to using a boot .

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd wear the Meindl's, and bring some spare socks.

"second wettest month of the year" in the Talkeetna's is still drier than the driest month on Kodiak. And probably drier than wherever your goat hunt was too.

Are you flying in via supercub? If not, bring some hip boots and the meindls. I don't have much use for an 800gram boot until winter.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
questioning a trusted guide ain't very smart IMHO.

They don't wear hip boots for dinner or to take their wives out, only where needed to stay dry....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SealSkinz socks with your Cabelas Meindl Perfekts should be pretty good, but I would take along a pair of Lacrosse ankle-fit hip waders (as suggested by the guide).

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My guide on the upper Kuskokwim wore Gore-Tex pants and boots and when we had to cross a stream out came the duct tape to seal off his pant cuffs but I think the shoe-fit or snug fit hip boots are probably a better idea.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

I guess I would take that as a hint.

This. smile

I've only done two brown bear adventures. (one spring, one fall)
I lived in hip boots on both occasions and wouldn't dream of knee-highs.

That said, it wasn't the Talkeetnas. Still, when in Rome.......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jake wears hip boots, then I am going to wear hip boots. Just try to put extra weight in his pack when he isn't looking, to slow him down a bit..:). Good luck on your bear hunt you lucky guy.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,922
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.