-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I just bought an interesting knife and I'd like to see if anyone here can give me some info on it. On one side of the blade it is stamped SOLINGEN and under that it says GERMANY. On the other side of the blade it is stamped THE DREIER Co. There is a cowboy head on the end of the handle. It looks a lot like the one in this picture except the part that protects your hand is straight across with little "balls" on the ends and it's the same metal as the cowboy head. The blade is 4 13/16" and the overall length is 9 1/4". The stag handle is well worn. I don't have the original sheath. It's seems to be real solidly built but it needs a good cleaning. Maybe it's a an el cheapo but I figured that since it's made in Germany it might be worth something. Anyway, any information you guys could provide would be appreciated. Thanks.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by River_Ridge; 07/07/15. Reason: Spelling

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Knives like that were imported from Germany back in the 50's thru the 70's by many different importers who stamped their brands on them. Names like York, Edgebrand, Eye brand, come to mind but there were many of them. You can do an ebay search on "solingen knife" and you will see what I mean as it seems that everyone and his brother has bought some dead guy's knife at an estate sale and is trying to re-sell it for a few bucks. I've never seen one with a cowboy on it so that might be a plus.

My Dad had one that I cleaned many a pile of fish with as a kid and I picked up one for about 12 bucks a few years ago. They have nice carbon steel blades similar to 1095 that are thin, sharpen up real well with oil stones, and cut like crazy. Strictly old school.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it is worth anything it will be worth less after you give it a good cleaning. Patina and all that. And, as RJ said, they do cut wicked.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Thanks RJ and 5th. I bought this one, a Schrade 152 skinner and a cheap Chinese knife, all with the sheaths for $10 total. I always liked those little Schrade skinners. I figured the sheaths are worth $10 so I guess I did alright.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RR - You did well on that deal. I have a knife very much like your knife. It is stamped SOLINGEN/GERMANY.
Only on the other side of the blade it is stamped MONARCH. Indeed they are real solidly built. Got mine
as a teenager and have used it very hard for many years. The stag handle has held up well.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.