Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Latest project. I traded my .220S #1 for a .257R barreled action and an early Ti stock. The CDL action had a Callahan firing pin and aluminum bolt shroud, replacing the factory J lock assembly. The OEM trigger was replaced with a very fine Walker trigger, tweaked to a very clean 3#'s. The barrel is a 24" #3 Brux.

I wasn't sure about converting an ADL fiberglass stock to BDL, could have converted the gun to ADL, but like BDL better. I was referred to ingwe who had done a few. After discussing it with him, I proceeded with the conversion. I glassed top and bottom metal. The Ti is pillared with an extension to the recoil lug, a nice touch.

I picked up a 4200 2.5-10x40 on the Fire Classifieds. With the thick, high Ti comb, I needed high rings. I wanted to use Talley LW's, but needed more offset and in the Brownell's catalog, they're only offered in Med for the 700. So, I modified Warne and Weaver bases I had on hand to accommodate Burris Zee high rings. Sort of a hodge podge of stuff, but it came together OK. I'm not a Burris fan, but these rings, although steel and not light, are trim and did what they needed to do.

The LA is a bit much for the Roberts, but if I shoot 115 VLD's touching, the COAL is 3.025" and this isn't one of those 3", long throated Roberts chambers. Even with the std. chamber, a 3" round needs more than a SA box mag to work. Fortunately, even the shortest rounds dropped in this mag will feed smoothly.

The barrel was fitted by Ron Lampert, Guthrie, MN. Ron is no longer able to work due to a stroke, but was a master metalsmith. He did work for Jim Carmichael, who referred to him as "one of the countries top metal specialsits". Ron shortened a Mauser action, welding the ends such that the weld couldn't be seen. That gun became Jim's 250 Savage. He took the pieces, cut another Mauser and extended it to magnum length. That one became Jim's .375 H&H. "Very cute indeed", Jim wrote in his book, "The Modern Rifle".

I haven't shot it, but will report. I had thought about painting the stock black, but this early Ti pattern has grown on me. I sorta like it.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/17/15.
BP-B6

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's the bottom metal. That little abrasion near the front action screw was already there. It would have been covered if I'd have gone with black paint. I don't think it's gonna hurt anything.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Very nice! Let us know how she works!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I will.

It's gotta shoot... smile

A pristine Brux (perfect thru the Hawkeye), chambered and fitted by Ron Lampert, pillared, glassed, freefloated and torqued... cool

I'd be amazed if it wasn't a champ. But, the range is where the rubber meets the road... wink

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ought to be a tack driver. What's she weigh?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty nice shootin' iron. Can't get much better for a all-round medium game whacker.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Ought to be a tack driver. What's she weigh?

Came in at a hair over 7 pounds.

With a scope that weighs a pound plus heavy rings/bases, she tips the scales at 8 pounds, 6 oz.

With lighter scope/rings/bases, could probably get that down to around 8 pounds.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Forgot to add, it balances at the front action screw and feels lighter than the scale indicates.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Forgot to add, it balances at the front action screw and feels lighter than the scale indicates.

DF

Sweeeet!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I likey; nice build.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's the photo that disappeared. I had duplicated it on Photobucket and deleted one, I guess the wrong one. Too late to edit the OP, so here it is.

DF

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
That's nice DF.....

For a Remington! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You and I must hold them differently. I have rifles with straight combs meatier than that and I still like low rings.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Gotta go with what seems natural. The Elite has a shorter ER than some and that makes me need the scope mounted even further back.

Low, or even Med. rings would make a neater looking unit, IMO.

When I shoulder it, I'm looking at a full field view. Moving the scope forward, I can't see to the edges. So, this combo seems to work.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
That's nice DF.....

For a Remington! smile

laugh

Slumming... blush

Trying to assimilate with the "unwashed masses"...

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh

Have you shot it yet?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My typical Vari-X or VX III/3 set up has the power adjustment ring over the root of the bolt handle.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
laugh

Have you shot it yet?

Not yet.

Just got it bedded and put together this week.

I'm looking at 115 VLD for chest shooting WT's. Of course I need to see what it likes. I also have 117 SST's, 115 NBT's, 100 NPT's and 115 NPT's to try. There has to be some good WT loads with one or more of those.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,you should find one good load for Wt out those bullet choices. grin

Personally,I would use a 100 gr bullet,like a Hornady,Sierra or Nosler,just mudding up the waters even more. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
My typical Vari-X or VX III/3 set up has the power adjustment ring over the root of the bolt handle.

Leupolds have longer ER than Elites.

I got a good deal on this one here on the Fire. I like Elite glass and appreciate the 2.5X low power setting plus 10X for load development at the range. I don't use Elites on big kickers, I go Leupold, Swaro or Zeiss with those.

DF

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.