Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My rifle shoots the Buffalo Ball-et about as well as anything. It is a .54 with 1:48 twist, never tried it in a fast twist.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ballets shoot better beyond 50 yards with a slower twist like the 48 (for instance). You can also gain a little more distance and accuracy using a fiber wad or 30-40 grains of cornmeal between the powder and ballet.

Last edited by Triple_Se7en; 06/26/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bigblock455
250gr Aerolite would be perfect. Especially with around 80 grains BH209.

Bought 60 of these bullets to give them a shot. Man they're expensive to say the least! I wish they'd offer them in larger quantities than 15. At almost $2 a bullet I hope they shoot well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
50 grs. of 2F, and a round ball..... My brother and I started shooting that load when we weighed about 40 pounds. It will kill a deer deader than a hammer...

And don't worry about real black powder corroding your gun like crazy. Just run a couple patches down it and you're good. I've shot more black powder than any other powder in my life, and my muzzleloaders have always shot great.

K.I.S.S.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I will not load a light, sub-224 grain ML bullet of any design, with less than 80 grains of powder. I demand of myself humane kills, out to 100 yards.
If you are only using 50 grains with a 177gr round bullet, that shot needs to be relatively close....... somewhere in the 50 yard ballpark.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree it is a light load, but for a young girl and 50-60 yard shots, it will be more than adequate....

60 grs and a .45 here.... Neck shots only...grin

[Linked Image]

Ben

How big is she and how much recoil is too much? A simple matter of physics, the heavier the projectile and the faster it is moving when it clears the muzzle, the more the felt recoil all other things being equal. Absent a sabot, the lightest projectile will be the PRB. Assuming the guns fit her equally well, I would pick the gun that has the slowest twist rate, and if both the same, the heavier gun. I believe with reduced charges the faster twist can still deliver reasonable accuracy, at least at the ranges we are talking about here. I have a light TC New Englander .54 that rattles my tooth fillings when loaded with 100gr Pyro RS behind 435gr Maxi Ball. I wanted a 50 yard PRB load for jackrabbits, but rather than fiddling with the sights that were dead on at 100 yards with the hunting load, I backed off the powder until the PRB found the x-ring at 50 yards, which is a 40gr charge. Recoil is about like an M-1 carbine and it makes clover leafs in the 50 yard target.

Good luck to your young lady on the hunt.

"Everyone is ignorant, just on different subjects" Will Rogers THB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a big doe.

What fresh Hell is this?
Originally Posted by Pappy348
That's a big doe.

I dunno, they said they only weighed 40 lbs???

Seriously, that is one nice doe!

Last edited by THBailey; 06/27/15.

"Everyone is ignorant, just on different subjects" Will Rogers THB
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice Job on the Doe ..
What I would recommend is getting her out and doing some shooting . Start off with that light load and slowly move up , giving her time to get used to each load . you might just be suprised at the laod she can shoot .She is going to define her range with accuracy and load .

With a 50 cal , a load of 50-65 grains backing a patched round ball will be more then enough and recoil wont be all that heavy unless she is shooting a synthetic or light wood stock . I shoot 80 grains of 3F in my 54 and that does just fine on mule deer and even elk at closer ranges under 50 yards . On mule deer , that charge works fine out to 100 which is my limit when hunting with a muzzleloader , doesn’t mater if im shooting a heavy conical and 110 grains or not .
My wife uses a lighter load in her 50 even for elk . But then we are for the most part in the 25-40 yard range and hunting cows .
Again I would let her decide her acceptable range . Teach her to Hunt . Explain to her why she needs to get within a given range and how that range is going to change as she grows and gains knowledge from practice .
Teach her that passing up a shot isn’t the end of the world ,No shame in it . That it’s the responsible thing to do when it not safe or within her or her chosen weapons range .
spend time now by getting her out and teaching her to stalk and track . if your hunting from standsor blinds . teach her how to pick location , judge distance ....... ther is alot to teach

[Linked Image]
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Another option if needed, link here
I added more lube to mine, SPG or liquid Lee Alox worked fine.
They run around 240gr so a bit heavier than a PRB.
I'll rummage and see if I have any left in my goodie box.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well this endeavor is costing me even more money! I bought a bottle of BH209, and a lot of different bullets to try. Then I was reading online that the BH209 and the primer carrier with the H&R aren't compatible, so I wound up ordering a Metrics Unlimited breech plug.

I tried to order the Precision Rifle breech plug but they were out but i did order some of their Ultimate number 1 semi spitzers to try. Now I'm thinking of ordering a couple of aperture sights for both rifles, just to increase the range in case I ever want to chase game again with these rifles.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.