Print Thread
Hop To
C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Wasn't sure if this should go in the "hunting trucks" or the "horses and ATV" forum. But horse people tend to be thin skinned and easily offended, so I figured I'd post it here.

My response to the "side by side" thing has always been to get a toyota pickup, put lockers in it, put some mud tires on it, and go.

Was making that speech to a buddy the other day (that bought a track rig and was complaining about how expensive it is to work on) and he mentioned that he knew of one that was already set up and for sale. So, I finally put my money where my mouth is.

88 toyota, 22RE, 5speed, 5.29 gears, solid axle in the front, welded rear, 36" super swampers.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis has something like that and proud of it too, but he is only 3 bumps from losing the whole thing to a pile of bolts and rust...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Our 84 bought new.. Kate's vehicle now!!!

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Here's my 'Yota SxS.....'98 V6....217K & counting

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
Wasn't sure if this should go in the "hunting trucks" or the "horses and ATV" forum. But horse people tend to be thin skinned and easily offended, so I figured I'd post it here.

My response to the "side by side" thing has always been to get a toyota pickup, put lockers in it, put some mud tires on it, and go.

Was making that speech to a buddy the other day (that bought a track rig and was complaining about how expensive it is to work on) and he mentioned that he knew of one that was already set up and for sale. So, I finally put my money where my mouth is.

88 toyota, 22RE, 5speed, 5.29 gears, solid axle in the front, welded rear, 36" super swampers.

[Linked Image]

Trouble with some of the conversions is they get to the point where the vehicle is no longer practical to drive but the shortest of distances on the road.

Plus, a SxS will still be a lot smaller and get places a Yoyta won't because of that small size.

I think a better comparison to a SxS would be the Suzuki 410, 413 and Jimny conversions but I don't think they are a common donor vehicle in the US?

Still, as an all round hunting truck, I think I would rather trade the extra space of the larger Toyota for a slight loss in nimbleness.

Plus the old Hilux pick-ups we get over here come with a diesel engine which is another benifit for off-roading compared to the small petrol engines usually found in the Suzuki's and SxS..

Last edited by Pete E; 07/18/15.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I was going to get a SxS but found a great deal on a Suzuki Samurai instead. I did a few upgrades here and there mechanically, put a hard top on it, cleaned out the heater box, removed the rear seat and installed some ammo boxes to carry small things and I drive it everywhere. Next up, 4.16 t-case gears and a mini spool in the rear.

[Linked Image]

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Pete E

Trouble with some of the conversions is they get to the point where the vehicle is no longer practical to drive but the shortest of distances on the road.

Plus, a SxS will still be a lot smaller and get places a Yoyta won't because of that small size.

I think a better comparison to a SxS would be the Suzuki 410, 413 and Jimny conversions but I don't think they are a common donor vehicle in the US?

Still, as an all round hunting truck, I think I would rather trade the extra space of the larger Toyota for a slight loss in nimbleness.

Plus the old Hilux pick-ups we get over here come with a diesel engine which is another benifit for off-roading compared to the small petrol engines usually found in the Suzuki's and SxS..

All good points... If you think of it as a side-by-side, it makes the lack of streetability kind of moot. The "smaller and therefore will go more places" argument works both ways. A side by side (or 4-wheeler for that matter) will no doubt fit some places that a toyota will not. It will also have trouble in some places where a toyota will not.

I know a couple people that run samurai's. Neat little rigs, and certainly capable. The fact is there are a million toyota pickups around, and parts are cheap (except tires!).

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
...horse people tend to be thin skinned and easily offended....

And, I'm apparently a terrible fisherman, because I really expected this bait to be more productive.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
SxS's might be getting a lot more road-worthy...at the cost of off road capability. There are so many on-road accidents with them that the feds are considering new safety regs to make them road worthy. Those regs will control suspension, steering, etc. It's not the SxS that's the problem. It's people using them for cars and they aren't designed for it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
...horse people tend to be thin skinned and easily offended....

And, I'm apparently a terrible fisherman, because I really expected this bait to be more productive.

GFY!!!

(feel better?)

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Much better!

Look to the north... a bird is flying your direction.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Better not be the (non-poultry) bird leaving feathers in my chicken coop!

Otherwise, I don't know what that means.

Last edited by ironbender; 07/21/15. Reason: (

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 41 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.