Print Thread
Hop To
T
tjk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've never uses a ceramic grill before. Have googled both KJ and BGE, and find little difference between them other than price. I'm retired; 68; and am looking for quality at an affordable price. My understanding is that size for size the KJ is a bit cheaper than the Egg, but the KJ also comes with most accessories that would cost a few hundred more than the KJ. Not looking for commercial use, but would like to do long slow roasts and smoke for 5-20 people. Any recommendations appreciated, also wonder if the accessories with the KJ truly cover a wide range of cooking applications. I know the EGG is reported favorably here; wondering if the KJ included accessories make the price point more favorable for my purposes. Appreciate any reviews. Thanks, Tom.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
T
I have 2 BGE's and have no experience with the KJ. I love my BGE but they're not cheap. If I could do it all over again I would buy an Akorn instead. I've use my BIL's and it performed really well for a lot cheaper. Obviously it doesn't have all the accessories available like a BGE.

edit: it's not ceramic like a BGE or KJ.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-AKORN-20-in-Kamado-Charcoal-Grill/3609214

Last edited by TexasTBag; 07/19/15.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have the KJ and there isnt nothing I havent been able to easily cook. Slow and long to hot and fast. Ive almost got 2 seasons on it with zero issues. Never cooked on a BGE so I cant compare. I bought it over the BGE due to the cost and accessories. I even got the heat deflector with it to cook indirect.

T
tjk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the replies. As stated in original post I'm retired so on somewhat fixed income. Don't know that I'd spend 1G on an indoor stove, but love outdoor grilling and looking for a single unit to grill hot occasionally, but mostly to be able to hold a steady temp for extended hours; roasting or smoking low and slow. Both units seem to do well, but the KJ comes with lots of accessories that would run quite a bit extra with the BGE. Looking to learn as much as I can before springing for one or the other.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have cooked on both and there's no difference in performance between the two. I do have experience with BGE's lifetime warranty and customer service which is excellent. Not sure how the KJ warranty is, but I would research and talk to some who have needed warranty replacement. One thing is for sure with a ceramic cooker, at some point something is going to crack.

Are there any eggfests near you? If so you can pick up a greatly discounted cooker that has only been used once with 100% warranty intact.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
I have cooked on both and there's no difference in performance between the two. I do have experience with BGE's lifetime warranty and customer service which is excellent. Not sure how the KJ warranty is, but I would research and talk to some who have needed warranty replacement. One thing is for sure with a ceramic cooker, at some point something is going to crack.

Are there any eggfests near you? If so you can pick up a greatly discounted cooker that has only been used once with 100% warranty intact.

Mike

I fully concur!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
OMG, a BGE thread w/o elk...he must be six feet under

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a XL Big Green Egg, large Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe JR. In my opinion both BGE and KJ are equal value when it comes to quality and warranty.

From what I hear for customer service from KJ has a much faster response time, mailing replacement parts right to your door and not sending the replacement part on the next shipment going to a dealer closest to you.

Also KJ is at a lower price and comes with the basics without charging additional for the basic accessories (Fire Grate, Fire Box, Fire Ring and Ash Tool) like BGE does.

For me to make a final decision between BGE and KJ boils down to if I plan on installing it in a table or keeping it in the nest. If it is going in a table I would chose KJ, but if I was keeping it in a nest I would go BGE because of their Nest Handler accessory. I shattered the base of our large BGE moving the grill and immediately when replacing the larges base I added the Nest Handler to both our large and XL.

Last edited by MossyMO; 07/26/15.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,395
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.