-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ralph Delph and I left at 6:00 this morning to take the boat up to Hebgen Lake and try some gulper fishing. There was a chop on the water and we decided to run down to the Campfire Lodge and get some breakfast. After a beautiful view of the Madison during breakfast, we headed back to the lake to see what had changed.

We launched the boat at Rainbow Point and took off. We did see some fish rising, but few, and hardly any bugs on the water. We trolled around looking for some rising fish and then cast to them, Ralph with a Prince Nymph and me with a Damsel Nymph.

Ralph caught a nice Brown Trout and I got a nicer rainbow. He held his closer to the camera to look bigger and it worked. The Rainbow won at 21 inches...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Love fishing Hegben

Nicely colored brown and rb there. Look like healthy fish!

Intermediate or floating lines?

thanks for sharing

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I was using a 10 foot sink tip, Ralph a floating line...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Dont see many boats out there

Was Henrys packed?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Lovely.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka
Dont see many boats out there

Was Henrys packed?

I have no idea what was going on at Henry's. I have never fished there. The tricos and calibetas that used to proliferate Hebgen are not there anymore. I don't know if the silt from the fires of 1988 has changed that dynamic or not, but you don't see the large clouds of bugs in the morning that you used to see and the fish don't feed in a line like they used to as there are hardly any bugs on the water.

Years ago, there would be so many bugs on the water that you would have a hard time seeing your fly among them when you would be casting to fish. Now the fish rise sporadically and it is a better bet to strip nymphs around the rises and pick up these cruising fish...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Beautiful..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

For those of you that don't know Ralph...

https://youtu.be/wjiHIMiuDRY

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Darn nice fish and country.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Shrapnel
Enjoy your all your posts. Spent lots of time in the Yellowstone country as a young man. Married a woman from West Yellowstone. Are you familiar with the Stuart family?
Several friends fished with Ralph over the years. Retiring this year and we're heading back to Montana. Will be moving to Dillon, our son lives there and West Yell has changed too much.
Thanks for the memories and hope to cross paths with you someday

Row away from the rocks
.jd

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wow! Envious. All of our water here has about 5 inch layer of dry matter (ice) cemented to the top.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Reply to an old post, Had me fooled too.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Solduc
Shrapnel
Enjoy your all your posts. Spent lots of time in the Yellowstone country as a young man. Married a woman from West Yellowstone. Are you familiar with the Stuart family?
Several friends fished with Ralph over the years. Retiring this year and we're heading back to Montana. Will be moving to Dillon, our son lives there and West Yell has changed too much.
Thanks for the memories and hope to cross paths with you someday

Row away from the rocks
.jd

Stuart's had the Texaco gas station on the corner of Canyon and Yellowstone streets. That was a long time ago. I am here forever, we still have a cabin out by Horse Butte...

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Shrapnel
My wife is Walt Stuart's daughter.
She worked at the Texaco from age 6 until they sold. We have friends living out at Horse Butte, and family throughout the Gallatin Valley.
Always had some regrets leaving the Yellowstone region, but economics and wanderlust led us to Alaska. Someone once said "you can't eat the scenery".
Looking forward to fishing Hebgen and surrounding waters again

.jd

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe she used to work there with the Street girls. They really made that corner look good, very cute girls...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 36 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,051
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.