-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of recommendations for the .270 and .300WM. Both are good choices. The only rifle listed by the OP that I wouldn’t give much consideration to would be the Tropical .375 due to the weight. All the rest would be fine either as a primary or back-up rifle. As noted in a previous post, the .45-70 GG would be the most range limited, at least in terms of trajectory.

I’ve already stated my preference would be the Ruger tang-safety .300WM as backup for the .260. I agree with others that whatever the OP’s choice, it should be a rifle that functions flawlessly and that the OP shoots well. (Why anyone would choose a rifle that didn’t function well or that they couldn’t shoot well is beyond me. Think about it – the primary rifle goes down so now – by choice -- you are left with a back-up that doesn’t work well either???)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd take whatever rifle you were comfortable having stolen from your vehicle or camp while you are out hunting. Otherwise if extremely concerned about "backup" capabilities, I'd have iron sights or another scope setup in good repeatable take off scope mounts in my pack.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another scope in QR mounts is one way to go for back-up but that doesn't help much if you took a bad fall or had a horse roll on your rifle and shattered the stock.

I have had my truck broken into and a bow stolen but that was parked in an urban area after dark not out in the woods. We have had nothing but positive experiences camped out in CO sorry to hear that isn't the general rule. Clueless noisy hunters and guys who ride their ATV all day, along with unfriendly land owners have been my main complaints but those are very rare compared to the large number of positives.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
I'd take whatever rifle you were comfortable having stolen from your vehicle or camp while you are out hunting.

Good point. That's why my truck pistol is a Glock.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Off topic a bit, but a note to anyone that might consider stealing from my camp.
I might be ten miles away, or I might be 150 yards out and watching you.
Either way, you can be assured I have a good rifle.
Your choice.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, no need for all that.

Just booby trap it with a shotgun in a tree, Jeremiah Johnson style.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338
I'd take whatever rifle you were comfortable having stolen from your vehicle or camp while you are out hunting. Otherwise if extremely concerned about "backup" capabilities, I'd have iron sights or another scope setup in good repeatable take off scope mounts in my pack.

I was thinking it, but you actually said it wink

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have gone that route.. Nothing beats another rifle sighted in and ready to go.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

Jeeze louise... While all you guys are fn around booby trapping chit back at camp, I'm out shooting elk.... laugh. I might add, with my 1 elk rifle while all my "back-ups" are at home.. laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I get older I realize the perfect back-up rifle is one a hunting partner is carrying...

Took two of my nephews on their first antelope hunt. Loaned them a couple of my rifles, didn't bother to take one for myself, filled my tag anyway and didn't carry a rifle more than 10 minutes the whole hunt. Perfect.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Jeeze louise... While all you guys are fn around booby trapping chit back at camp, I'm out shooting elk.... laugh. I might add, with my 1 elk rifle while all my "back-ups" are at home.. laugh

No doubt skinnin' griz too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No doubt skinnin' griz too.

Yeah,lions and tigers too.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You forgot bears. Oh my!

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't want tracks up in the woods shootin' at me.

I once had someone siphon a full tank of gas out of my truck at a trailhead. This was in a rural county in SW CO, so I called the sheriff's office to report it. The first question out of the woman's mouth was "where are you from?" When I said "Denver," she copped an attitude and said "what do you want us to do about it, it's not like we can get your gas back."

So I copped an attitude right back and said, "I just thought you all would want to know what's going on in your county. I was hunting, with a rifle in my hands. If I'd have come back to the truck when this was happening, you may have lost one of your upstanding local citizens."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've taken a "spare" a few times but usually only one person out of the party actually needs a loaner rifle around.

I'd bring whatever I shoot well and am confident with out to at least 300 yards. For me it's usually my .308 with a 2.5x scope. It's worthy, shoots well enough, and is easy to loan out. I'd miss it if it was stolen, and would probably replace it quickly with a another similar rifle.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Been there

You forgot bears. Oh my!

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't want tracks up in the woods shootin' at me.

I once had someone siphon a full tank of gas out of my truck at a trailhead. This was in a rural county in SW CO, so I called the sheriff's office to report it. The first question out of the woman's mouth was "where are you from?" When I said "Denver," she copped an attitude and said "what do you want us to do about it, it's not like we can get your gas back."

So I copped an attitude right back and said, "I just thought you all would want to know what's going on in your county. I was hunting, with a rifle in my hands. If I'd have come back to the truck when this was happening, you may have lost one of your upstanding local citizens."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
never say 'Denver'........

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
As I get older I realize the perfect back-up rifle is one a hunting partner is carrying...

Took two of my nephews on their first antelope hunt. Loaned them a couple of my rifles, didn't bother to take one for myself, filled my tag anyway and didn't carry a rifle more than 10 minutes the whole hunt. Perfect.

My back up elk rifle is usually on my wife's shoulder. If one our guns goes out of order the other is there as needed. problem solved. She carries my ruger tanger 7x57 most of the time. Only real problem is in super steep terrain I get to carry both guns!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
never say 'Denver'........

Actually I said Deer Trail.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To the OP, have you been elk hunting before ? And where are you going.
I'd take the 270, I like to carry lighter guns and 270 Is just fine for elk..
Back up or brush gun the 760 in 06 is hard to beat.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Checked w LGS today about suppressor and told NFA trust stamps now running 4-8 mos. v. 3 when I dropped dough in April.

So getting MR .270 outta mothballs for primary and may put new 6x36 or 6x42 LRD on it. Be bit more usable than ol' M8 6x42HD.

Down to '06 or .358 for BUG.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.