Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The RAR-Predators that I'm shooting have proven to be very accurate out of the box, with the 204, 243, and 6.5 Creedmoor being exceptionally so. Not quite as out of the box accurate as the Vanguard2, but pretty darn close and at least $100 less expensive.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by southtexas
Gotta hand it to Bricktop....he is some kinda smooth...

as smooth as 60 grit sand paper being substituted for Toilet Paper...but look on the bright side.... probably picks up more Stuff than TP...

and remember, you may not like what Bricktop has to say...

but he always says it wearing a Tux and with a big smile on his face....how's that for class???

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Royce
Oh, so I am a gun counter ape... Sorry, Bricktop, I don't stoop to your level of conversation. If you can ever put forth an intelligent argument, get back to me. Otherwise, if my posts inflame you that much, maybe you just out to put me on ignore and go out in your back yard and fiddle with your dibble. smile

Royce
By your own admission your "experience" consists of "working a gun counter." Anyone who would base a purchase decision off of that as well as the blatantly false nonsense you padded onto that "experience" would be called a moron. A lot like the same narcissistic ego that compelled you to post that drivel in the first place.

Go mop the floor, ape.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MitchParker
bangeye,
I'd love a vanguard, but those turkeys at Weatherby won't produce one in lefty.

Ah, point taken , you and my poor brother. He did just recently buy a new savage that he is pretty happy with and like I said I like both of mine but I did pick them up when they were selling for $200 or so.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dang, John, I can't believe you let that Hawkeye 6.5 Creedmore you used for your article go. That one seemed almost perfect, if not as pretty as your FN swede.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It'll cost a couple hundred to put a decent trigger in the Hawkeye. The American has a great trigger from the get-go. I guess the bottom line is, do you want to kill stuff with it, or look at it? I shot a friend's Hawkeye in 30.06 and we both agree that the trigger sucks. I also shot a Ruger American in .308. The American was more accurate, probably due to a good trigger. I have Winchester 70's. No plans to change.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you want to spend $200 to put a trigger in a Hawkeye, that's certainly an option. But I've found the factory trigger can be given a very fine pull in about half an hour.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am not a "pretty gun" guy. It is a tool used to keep my freezer full. I have never owned a Ruger rifle, due to barrel issues etc. over the years. I do not like wooden stocks as they have too many issues with weather, scratching etc.

I will have a left-hand, stainless .308 American in my mitts by the end of this week and will make my evaluation at that point. I have read/heard a lot of good stuff about the American for sure.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I am not a "pretty gun" guy. It is a tool used to keep my freezer full. I have never owned a Ruger rifle, due to barrel issues etc. over the years. I do not like wooden stocks as they have too many issues with weather, scratching etc.

I will have a left-hand, stainless .308 American in my mitts by the end of this week and will make my evaluation at that point. I have read/heard a lot of good stuff about the American for sure.
You seem to be blissfully unaware that the left-handed Model 77s have all been manufactured outside the era of allegedly "bad" barrels.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have been training a guy from work who has never shot a rifle before last November.
He has a RAR 30-06 and RAR 22.
Today he shot a 5 shot group with 180 corelocks on 3x into 1.5".
My 17 year old daughter has hammering the 22 RAR carbine of mine for an hour. Fast as she could reload the magazine, 100+ rounds into a 4" pattern at 100 with federal bulk.

Just ordered a 300blk ranch.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
mitch ive owned a left hand tikka t3 lite stainless 243, right hand t3 lite stainless 6.5x55 and RAR in 223.

both tikkas out shot my RAR and i liked the tikka's stocks better, but this damned RAR lives in my truck and is my go to rifle for running around the farm and killing schit.

it's accurate 3/4" all day long with most loads 55-64 grain and is comfortable to carry ( read light and handy )smooth and feeds great.

it's as good as the tikka only less expensive.

not a fan of the savages accurate, yes but rough as a cobb.

if someone stole all my rifles a RAR would be the first id buy to replace them

FJB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bricktop

You seem to be blissfully unaware that the left-handed Model 77s have all been manufactured outside the era of allegedly "bad" barrels.

I am "blissfully aware" of the rifles that have been made. I also know the problems that my friend has had re-barreling their actions due to poor quality steel. I have had no reason to try a M77, when there are great Savages and Remingtons that I know that I can trust.

I have decided to try an American due to price and favorable evaluations. I don't buy rifles all that often, so I am not going to buy one that I don't like or trust.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"Poor quality steel"; that's a hoot. The cast steel Ruger receivers have been tested and proven to be stronger than the bar stock that many others are made from.

Sounds like an excuse from a "poor quality gunsmith" for crap work to me.

If the American fits your needs and budget, by all means buy it. I might buy one myself one day for a throwaway shooter.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/26/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bricktop

I am "blissfully aware" of the rifles that have been made. I also know the problems that my friend has had re-barreling their actions due to poor quality steel. I have had no reason to try a M77, when there are great Savages and Remingtons that I know that I can trust.

I have decided to try an American due to price and favorable evaluations. I don't buy rifles all that often, so I am not going to buy one that I don't like or trust.
You have a "friend." Wow. That's some utterly convincing bullshit right there.

If I could monetize all of the stupid $h!t people like you post, say, and attempt to pass off as fact, I could pay down the national debt and retire.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Since I have had to switch to left Hand rifles due to loss of vision I have mostly Tikkas and they are all shooters. Decided to get a 7mm-08 and went to the Hawkeye just for a change. Boy, what a shooter it is. Very happy I went this direction

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.