Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Hey all,
Long time lurker - first time poster.

Let me preface this with the fact that I don't need another rifle - but, by golly, I want one.

I have both Rugers in question (American and Hawkeye). I love them both for different reasons. Love the Hawkeye for the refinement and the nice wood (300wm). Love the American for the fact that it's stainless synthetic (22-250).

I'm struggling with which one to get. Looking to a 7mm-08. This will be a good ole Texas stand rifle.

I can get a stainless synthetic American for $400.00 or a Ruger Hawkeye, blued walnut for $550.00. I know that the $150.00 gets me a better rifle, but at the end of the day, is it worth it, for a rifle that won't see that many trips afield? That very question, might lead me to get a Hawkeye for the pretty factor, but...

Should probably get a Ruger Alaskan (375 Ruger) for $599.00, but how often will I need something like that in Texas? Unless of course I start chasing Nilgai.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Welcome aboard. I say get them both... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
OP Offline
M
bsa,
Thanks for the welcome. Get them both, eh? Not a bad choice, but the pocket book will afford me with one (at this time).

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Find an All Weather Hawkeye 7/08 while you still can and problem solved wink

Welcome aboard!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mitch, it really depends on your personal preference. I'd narrow it down this way:

1. Which one fits you better?
2. Do you have a preference for CRF or Push feed?
3. Do you have a preference for a tang safety or wing safety?
4. Do you like mag box vs. hinged floor plate?
5. If you like to tinker with rifles, you might be better off buying the Hawkeye to improve the trigger and accuracy.
6. Which rifle do you prefer for carrying: Weight etc.
7. Does one rifle handle or balance a little better.
8. Which one will work better for your style of hunting?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

M
OP Offline
M
MagMarc, I'm not aware if the Ruger All Weather is available in LH.

bsa,
1. Which one fits you better? Slight edge to the Hawkeye

2. Do you have a preference for CRF or Push feed? No preference - but the old Mauser style action (CRF)

3. Do you have a preference for a tang safety or wing safety? Slight edge to the Hawkeye

4. Do you like mag box vs. hinged floor plate? No preference, they both have their place (but prefer the metal on the Hawkeye)

5. If you like to tinker with rifles, you might be better off buying the Hawkeye to improve the trigger and accuracy. - Not a tinkerer, but, I replace most triggers with a Timney

6. Which rifle do you prefer for carrying: Weight etc. Weight goes to the American - but outside of carrying my gun from the truck the stand - not a real issue

7. Does one rifle handle or balance a little better. They balance/handle similar. I quickly adapt to either/or

8. Which one will work better for your style of hunting? Both, I take the rifle out of truck, lug it to the stand, and wait for the feeder to go off. If I was ever to do spot and stalk (done it once) the American gets the edge, but it's not something I do.

Honestly, while I baby my rifles, sometimes I go on an out of town hunting trip and the weather might be foul (still in Texas), that's the only reason I'm considering the American (stainless), as it doesn't require the same amount of babying. But, if the weather might be foul, I'd likely take my Remington custom (Dougless stainless barrel - cerakoted and HS synthetic stock)

If it matters, I'll put a Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44 on it.

Last edited by MitchParker; 07/19/15.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a LH Hawkeye in 7mm-08 which I got last year. Was thinking of the Tikka but opted for the Hawkeye as I lean towards a wood stock which the Hawkeye has a very nice one. Wondering if I made a mistake until I shot it. 5 shot group in 5/8 inch, Put a trigger spring from Earnie the Gunsmith which brought it down to two and a half lbs with a Leupold scope and have never been happier or looked back. Heavier than the American but I am sort of out fashion and like wood.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MitchParker
MagMarc, I'm not aware if the Ruger All Weather is available in LH.

bsa,
1. Which one fits you better? Slight edge to the Hawkeye

2. Do you have a preference for CRF or Push feed? No preference - but the old Mauser style action (CRF)

3. Do you have a preference for a tang safety or wing safety? Slight edge to the Hawkeye

4. Do you like mag box vs. hinged floor plate? No preference, they both have their place (but prefer the metal on the Hawkeye)

5. If you like to tinker with rifles, you might be better off buying the Hawkeye to improve the trigger and accuracy. - Not a tinkerer, but, I replace most triggers with a Timney

6. Which rifle do you prefer for carrying: Weight etc. Weight goes to the American - but outside of carrying my gun from the truck the stand - not a real issue

7. Does one rifle handle or balance a little better. They balance/handle similar. I quickly adapt to either/or

8. Which one will work better for your style of hunting? Both, I take the rifle out of truck, lug it to the stand, and wait for the feeder to go off. If I was ever to do spot and stalk (done it once) the American gets the edge, but it's not something I do.

Honestly, while I baby my rifles, sometimes I go on an out of town hunting trip and the weather might be foul (still in Texas), that's the only reason I'm considering the American (stainless), as it doesn't require the same amount of babying. But, if the weather might be foul, I'd likely take my Remington custom (Dougless stainless barrel - cerakoted and HS synthetic stock)

If it matters, I'll put a Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44 on it.

Sounds like the Ruger Hawkeye All Weather is your huckleberry. In your posts, it seems like your leaning slightly more towards the Hawkeye. That's probably the one I'd get as well. I had one (all weather) in a 308 and it was a damn good rifle. Action was a little rougher than the American: Bolt didn't run as smoothly, but that's easy enough to fix. I'm also not going to say that all Americans shoot better than the Hawkeyes either, because I was just out shooting my buddies RAR a couple weeks ago and needless to say it got sent back to Ruger for accuracy issues... Not the norm with the Americans, but it does happen..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you want a rifle with some craftsmanship that your will be proud to hunt with and pass down to the grandkids one day the Hawkeye is the better choice. If I were going on a long distance hunt that cost a lot of money at this point I have more confidence in the Hawkeye working, especilly a hunt in harsh conditions where it might have to work if dirty or abused. I still think CRF offers an advantage in tough conditions. But time will tell, the American may well prove to be just as reliable.

I've owned examples of every generation of the Ruger 77. They are good rifles, but I have a sight preference for the very similar Winchester 70 design. Wouldn't feel a bit handicapped with any of the 77's even though I don't currently own one.

But the new Americans have caught my attention. They just plain shoot well for about 1/2 the price of a model 70. It is too early to say how well they will hold up long term.

For me, I still prefer my traditional rifles, but own a couple of the Americans too. Their utility, value, and accuracy are impressing me. They would be my first recommendation for someone looking for a budget rifle and not at all worried about aesthetics.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Welcome aboard!
No such thing in a left-handed Hawkeye.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B3

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Welcome aboard!

Yep, us Southpaw's are somewhat handicapped when it comes to rifles.

M
OP Offline
M
Just to throw a monkey wrench into things - how do you fellas feel about the Savage rifles? (never owned a Savage - but they seem to get a lot of love) And, quality wise are they on the same page as Ruger (or any of the other manufacturers?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hawkeye = Rifle.

RAR = POS.

Savage = Accurate'er POS.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Hawkeye of course other than for any other reason they have been discontinued in left hand.

Bricktop had a lefty Hawkeye re-barreled to .257 Bob a few years back...nice accurate rifle.

Doc

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was out the other day, taking some folks shooting who usually don't get much of an opportunity to do so...

We took along a Ruger American Predator in 223, a Savage 11 in 22.250, and a Rem ADL in 243....

looking at that ADL right next to the Ruger American... and then shooting each... all 3 are deadly accurate, but that ADL is definitely worth the extra $130 or so in price difference...feels less of a cheap POS....the Ruger, you look for the TupperWare Label...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
OP Offline
M
Sounds like another Hawkeye is in my future.

Last edited by MitchParker; 07/19/15.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Welcome aboard!

Yep, us Southpaw's are somewhat handicapped when it comes to rifles.

Then wood it is.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You'll like the Hawkeye. I had this one rebarreled to .30-06 and customized. It's now my favorite rifle-and I have a few.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hawkeye. Your heirs will thank you.

RARs and the like are good shooters, but have all the character of a leaf-blower. You can put one in a Boyd's stock and class it up a bit, but then you've pretty much paid for a Hawkeye and ain't got one.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Go Hawkeye. It will be one of the best $150 you'll spend. I'm sorry if I offend some owners but the Ruger American just leaves me cold .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess I’ll be the one to put in a good word for the RAR. Hawkeyes are nice enough rifles but their real advantage for the purposes expressed by the OP is that they’re prettier. The RAR is a functional tool and a good one at that. I’ve had two so far – one RH and one LH - and out of the box both were accurate with good triggers. Their bolts are smooth operating. I’ve had four LH Hawkeyes and they all needed free floating, bedding and trigger work to get near what a RAR is out of the box. Two have smooth bolts, two are rough as a cob even after working the action many times. So besides the initial higher price, you need to put in more bucks to get a trigger as good as a RAR and have it shoot as good. I’m sure some folks will adamantly cite their exceptions, but based on my four and reports from a lot of others they need work.

If I wanted to go live in some desolate location and hunt under harsh conditions I’d take a Hawkeye hands down, they have a great reputation for working under miserable conditions. But lugging to a stand? Not exactly a high stress occupation for a rifle. Plus the RAR comes in LH stainless in multiple chamberings, stainless LH Hawkeyes are around but they are getting very scarce and expensive and they never were chambered for 7mm-08. All of my left hand Hawkeyes are stainless and I ain’t letting them go – especially now that I have so much invested in them. wink

Either one would work for the job specified by the OP so it comes back to what he really wants – a functional tool that gives great performance for value or a prettier rifle that needs a bit of work to come up to the same level as a shooter.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rugar American does come in LH. Hawkeye all weather does not come in LH and may be out of production altogether. If so, there are still many RH all weather models on the shelves. Hawkeye std LH no longer in production but many new models remain unsold in gun stores.

I bought a 30-06 Hawkeye std LH a couple of years ago, love everything about it. Took some tinkering with the mag well but it's one of my most accurate if not the most accurate rifle in my collection.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Even if you accept the notion (which I don't) that all RARs are more accurate out of the box than all Hawkeyes, the RAR will forever look cheap, no matter how much lipstick you put on that pig. In the field, which is apparently where the OP is headed with the new rifle, the difference between a 1/2" rifle and a 1 or even 1 1/2" rifle generally means pretty much squat. The Hawkeye also comes with good rings. A set of comparable quality for the RAR will run $40 or so.

Good reasons for buying a RAR would be a limited budget; as a barn, truck, or loaner rifle; or to just shoot the crap out of and then sell off when you're done.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/20/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you aren't going to use it or actually look at it that much, forget pretty. Get the American.

If you want to hang it on the wall and display the wood to guests, get the Hawkeye.

The vibe I'm getting is that you have a limited budget. You aren't going to use it much. You don't see any justification for spending the extra money and buying the Hawkeye.

I concur with your zen. Get the American.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
If you aren't going to use it or actually look at it that much, forget pretty. Get the American.

If you want to hang it on the wall and display the wood to guests, get the Hawkeye.

The vibe I'm getting is that you have a limited budget. You aren't going to use it much. You don't see any justification for spending the extra money and buying the Hawkeye.

I concur with your zen. Get the American.

My rifles sit in a soft case (Boyt) and are kept under my bed (won't buy a safe until I get a real house (non rental).

I have no problems spending the extra coin - but, if it's not "worth" it, then why spend it?

If I go with a stainless synethic, I'm considering the Tikka T3, Ruger American (can't find a lefty Hawkeye - or their boat paddle stock)Savage Weather Warrior.

I like the idea of stainless synthetic...just because you don't have to 'baby' it. But, I also love the aesthetics of a wooden stocked rifle with blue finish.

Last edited by MitchParker; 07/20/15.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mitch
Here is my "impressions" after working a gun counter for a few years and having friends that still do, and having owned a few Ruger Hawkeyes-
Bear in mind I am not stating these as facts, just what we have seen- If you were going to buy a rifle that had the highest probability of being a poor shooter, I'd buy a Hawkeye- Not all of them shoot poorly, but we saw an awful lot of them that did, and I mean really poorly- Lots of times they can be tinkered up and played with and made to shoot if you want to put the time and money into them. If I was hunting Alaska or Africa, I'd buy a Hawkeye because they are heel for stout and try to get it to shoot.
The Ruger American sounds like a rifle that you can just take out and shoot with little or no tinkering, and that sounds like what you are looking for.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Royce
Mitch
Here is my "impressions" after working a gun counter for a few years and having friends that still do, and having owned a few Ruger Hawkeyes-
Bear in mind I am not stating these as facts, just what we have seen- If you were going to buy a rifle that had the highest probability of being a poor shooter, I'd buy a Hawkeye- Not all of them shoot poorly, but we saw an awful lot of them that did, and I mean really poorly- Lots of times they can be tinkered up and played with and made to shoot if you want to put the time and money into them. If I was hunting Alaska or Africa, I'd buy a Hawkeye because they are heel for stout and try to get it to shoot.
The Ruger American sounds like a rifle that you can just take out and shoot with little or no tinkering, and that sounds like what you are looking for.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, I don't need an heirloom quality rifle. I want a rifle that goes 'bang' when I squeeze the trigger and is accurate 'enough'.

The question is do I get anything extra for my money with a Tikka t3 or Savage Weather Warrior over the aforementioned American?

If I ever book a elk hunt - I'll honestly probably get another semi custom (like my 257 Roberts). This rifle will fill a void in my collection of rifle calibers/cartridges...I honestly wish CZ offered more rifles in left hand - because I sure do love my CZ 17hmr and 22lr.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You should handle a Tikka T3 before you make your decision. It just might make your decision for you.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
You should handle a Tikka T3 before you make your decision. It just might make your decision for you.

I've handled them and while they are a quality rifle, I never got the warm and fuzzies that some people speak of. (I've handled all of the rifles mentioned).

Does the Tikka t3 or the Savage Weather Warrior (accustock) provide any better synthetic stock vs the American? I know that they aren't on par with the HS Precision stocks (like my current semi custom).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mitch
Here are my "impressions" from talking to people who "work gun counters:" most don't have enough sense to pour piss out of a boot without the instructions written on the heel. If you're seeking advice from a showroom "shooter," you're getting the absolute maximum value for what you paid for that "advice:" nothing. The problem is amplified via these same gasbags using internet forums as their clearinghouses for all things worthless. I have variously heard idiots manning gun counters state that Vihtavouri powders were dangerous, Congress passed a law requiring Remington's J-Lock, it was against the law to give out copies of 4473s for various manufacturer's promotions (among other stupidity) and now this little bit of "wisdom" that seems to completely ignore Ruger's long history of manufacture of Model 77 iterations (47 years, by my last count) that has included Ruger moving barrel production in house in order to tighten up QC, the excellent reputation that they've enjoyed for accuracy, and the various documented tests published that state the same excellent results. (See Frank de Haas' "Bolt Action Rifles.")

I currently own seven Model 77s; two MKIIs and five Hawkeyes. The only one that had any issues was the one I bought from a self-appointed internet "gunsmith" that needed to be bedded after his "home mechanickin'" with a Dremel tool and sand paper yielded a wandering zero that compelled him to sell it because it "wouldn't shoot."

Anecdotal "information" isn't worth even a warm bucket of piss, especially on the internet. It's worth even less from a gun counter ape.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Geez Bricktop tell us how you really feel.

Doc

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh, so I am a gun counter ape... Sorry, Bricktop, I don't stoop to your level of conversation. If you can ever put forth an intelligent argument, get back to me. Otherwise, if my posts inflame you that much, maybe you just out to put me on ignore and go out in your back yard and fiddle with your dibble. smile

Royce

Last edited by Royce; 07/20/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotta hand it to Bricktop....he is some kinda smooth...

M
OP Offline
M
southtexas,
I concur. Hopefully, this tread will not spiral out of control. Would love to keep this thing civil. Plus I'd hate for my first thread to get locked up.

K
KRD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have a RAR in 7mm-08 and it shoots very well. Have already taken several deer , hogs and an antelope. The gun is plenty accurate for hunting big game and since all of my guns reside in a safe, I don't really care about aesthetics.

Also have a RAR Ranch in .223 and a MKll in .223. I don't even shoot the MKll anymore because the RAR shoots so much better.
So, if I had to make a decision again, it would be a RAR, just to have a reliable, accurate and reasonably priced rifle.
BTW, the people that I hunt with measure each other on successful shots and humane kills, not pretty rifles.

I laugh when I read all of the stuff about an ugly rifle vs a classic. My guess is that those focused on "pretty" haven't spent a lot of time in tough conditions where pretty really doesn't matter.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get the Hawkeye. You won't regret it later, even if you still wonder if you needed to spend that money.

At some point, you will regret the American, and most likely sell it. They are a great-shooting price-point rifle, but nothing more. You only get to live once--why do it with a rifle that guarantees you will take no pride in it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

At some point, you will regret the American, and most likely sell it.

Maybe... maybe not. I bought a 243 RAR a couple of years ago as a truck gun/loaner. It's so accurate and dependable, I find myself carrying it more and more. Not gonna sell my pre64's, but I sure appreciate the value engineering that Ruger put int this rifle. Guess different folks can take pride in different things

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just to throw a monkey wrench into things - how do you fellas feel about the Savage rifles? (never owned a Savage - but they seem to get a lot of love) And, quality wise are they on the same page as Ruger (or any of the other manufacturers?

Actually while I said I don't like the RAR i do have a couple of savages( actually stevens 200's.) I actually kind of like them and both shoot real well and have a much more traditional feel to working the bolt than the RAR or the Tikka imho. However remember what you paid for all this advice. In reality the pick of the litter of the value priced guns imho is the Vanguard. Maybe a bit heavy but if you hunt like I do in the east we are generally hunting on 100-200 acre farms where we have permission to hunt. Its not like we hike in 5-10 miles so a 8 1/2 lb rifle is not a big deal.

M
OP Offline
M
bangeye,
I'd love a vanguard, but those turkeys at Weatherby won't produce one in lefty.

Last edited by MitchParker; 07/20/15.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have owned a number of 77's/Hawkeyes over the years, but am down to one, a custom-barreled tang-safety 77. Also own 5 American's, two rimfire and three centerfire, and in most ways prefer them to Hawkeyes because:

1) Unlike Hawkeyes, Americans don't generally need "tuning" to shoot well, since the barrel is already free-floated and the bedding system is better.

2) They have a tang safety, which I vastly prefer to the Hawkeye safety.

3) The 3-lug bolt not only promotes accuracy, by distrubuting stresses better than the traditional 2-lug bolt, but the low-rise bolt handle makes scope mounting easy.

4) While I like the 77/Hawkeye rings, I can use any mounting system I desire on the Americans.

5) If I want to fool around with a certain standard cartridge for articles, an American is much cheaper than most other rifles, and also shoots extremely well. They can also be sold for pretty much what I paid for them, all of which is why I consider them one of the greatest rifles for gun writers to ever come along.

On the other hand, I am something of a traditionalist, preferring controlled-feed and a hinged floorplate, and usually a walnut stock. But have plenty of walnut-stocked CRF rifles nicer than Hawkeyes. Have owned several Hawkeyes and never had any problem getting them to shoot OK to very well, and the trigger is easy to fix (though not as easy as an American's) but they just don't grab me like Mauser 98's or even Model 70 Winchesters. If I didn't already have an array of tough Mausers for hard use in dangerous-game country, I'd probably buy a Hawkeye. But I already have those Mausers.

But that's just me.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The RAR-Predators that I'm shooting have proven to be very accurate out of the box, with the 204, 243, and 6.5 Creedmoor being exceptionally so. Not quite as out of the box accurate as the Vanguard2, but pretty darn close and at least $100 less expensive.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by southtexas
Gotta hand it to Bricktop....he is some kinda smooth...

as smooth as 60 grit sand paper being substituted for Toilet Paper...but look on the bright side.... probably picks up more Stuff than TP...

and remember, you may not like what Bricktop has to say...

but he always says it wearing a Tux and with a big smile on his face....how's that for class???

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, so I am a gun counter ape... Sorry, Bricktop, I don't stoop to your level of conversation. If you can ever put forth an intelligent argument, get back to me. Otherwise, if my posts inflame you that much, maybe you just out to put me on ignore and go out in your back yard and fiddle with your dibble. smile

Royce
By your own admission your "experience" consists of "working a gun counter." Anyone who would base a purchase decision off of that as well as the blatantly false nonsense you padded onto that "experience" would be called a moron. A lot like the same narcissistic ego that compelled you to post that drivel in the first place.

Go mop the floor, ape.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
bangeye,
I'd love a vanguard, but those turkeys at Weatherby won't produce one in lefty.

Ah, point taken , you and my poor brother. He did just recently buy a new savage that he is pretty happy with and like I said I like both of mine but I did pick them up when they were selling for $200 or so.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dang, John, I can't believe you let that Hawkeye 6.5 Creedmore you used for your article go. That one seemed almost perfect, if not as pretty as your FN swede.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It'll cost a couple hundred to put a decent trigger in the Hawkeye. The American has a great trigger from the get-go. I guess the bottom line is, do you want to kill stuff with it, or look at it? I shot a friend's Hawkeye in 30.06 and we both agree that the trigger sucks. I also shot a Ruger American in .308. The American was more accurate, probably due to a good trigger. I have Winchester 70's. No plans to change.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you want to spend $200 to put a trigger in a Hawkeye, that's certainly an option. But I've found the factory trigger can be given a very fine pull in about half an hour.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am not a "pretty gun" guy. It is a tool used to keep my freezer full. I have never owned a Ruger rifle, due to barrel issues etc. over the years. I do not like wooden stocks as they have too many issues with weather, scratching etc.

I will have a left-hand, stainless .308 American in my mitts by the end of this week and will make my evaluation at that point. I have read/heard a lot of good stuff about the American for sure.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I am not a "pretty gun" guy. It is a tool used to keep my freezer full. I have never owned a Ruger rifle, due to barrel issues etc. over the years. I do not like wooden stocks as they have too many issues with weather, scratching etc.

I will have a left-hand, stainless .308 American in my mitts by the end of this week and will make my evaluation at that point. I have read/heard a lot of good stuff about the American for sure.
You seem to be blissfully unaware that the left-handed Model 77s have all been manufactured outside the era of allegedly "bad" barrels.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have been training a guy from work who has never shot a rifle before last November.
He has a RAR 30-06 and RAR 22.
Today he shot a 5 shot group with 180 corelocks on 3x into 1.5".
My 17 year old daughter has hammering the 22 RAR carbine of mine for an hour. Fast as she could reload the magazine, 100+ rounds into a 4" pattern at 100 with federal bulk.

Just ordered a 300blk ranch.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
mitch ive owned a left hand tikka t3 lite stainless 243, right hand t3 lite stainless 6.5x55 and RAR in 223.

both tikkas out shot my RAR and i liked the tikka's stocks better, but this damned RAR lives in my truck and is my go to rifle for running around the farm and killing schit.

it's accurate 3/4" all day long with most loads 55-64 grain and is comfortable to carry ( read light and handy )smooth and feeds great.

it's as good as the tikka only less expensive.

not a fan of the savages accurate, yes but rough as a cobb.

if someone stole all my rifles a RAR would be the first id buy to replace them

FJB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

You seem to be blissfully unaware that the left-handed Model 77s have all been manufactured outside the era of allegedly "bad" barrels.

I am "blissfully aware" of the rifles that have been made. I also know the problems that my friend has had re-barreling their actions due to poor quality steel. I have had no reason to try a M77, when there are great Savages and Remingtons that I know that I can trust.

I have decided to try an American due to price and favorable evaluations. I don't buy rifles all that often, so I am not going to buy one that I don't like or trust.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"Poor quality steel"; that's a hoot. The cast steel Ruger receivers have been tested and proven to be stronger than the bar stock that many others are made from.

Sounds like an excuse from a "poor quality gunsmith" for crap work to me.

If the American fits your needs and budget, by all means buy it. I might buy one myself one day for a throwaway shooter.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/26/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I am "blissfully aware" of the rifles that have been made. I also know the problems that my friend has had re-barreling their actions due to poor quality steel. I have had no reason to try a M77, when there are great Savages and Remingtons that I know that I can trust.

I have decided to try an American due to price and favorable evaluations. I don't buy rifles all that often, so I am not going to buy one that I don't like or trust.
You have a "friend." Wow. That's some utterly convincing bullshit right there.

If I could monetize all of the stupid $h!t people like you post, say, and attempt to pass off as fact, I could pay down the national debt and retire.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Since I have had to switch to left Hand rifles due to loss of vision I have mostly Tikkas and they are all shooters. Decided to get a 7mm-08 and went to the Hawkeye just for a change. Boy, what a shooter it is. Very happy I went this direction

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.