Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Hey all,
Long time lurker - first time poster.

Let me preface this with the fact that I don't need another rifle - but, by golly, I want one.

I have both Rugers in question (American and Hawkeye). I love them both for different reasons. Love the Hawkeye for the refinement and the nice wood (300wm). Love the American for the fact that it's stainless synthetic (22-250).

I'm struggling with which one to get. Looking to a 7mm-08. This will be a good ole Texas stand rifle.

I can get a stainless synthetic American for $400.00 or a Ruger Hawkeye, blued walnut for $550.00. I know that the $150.00 gets me a better rifle, but at the end of the day, is it worth it, for a rifle that won't see that many trips afield? That very question, might lead me to get a Hawkeye for the pretty factor, but...

Should probably get a Ruger Alaskan (375 Ruger) for $599.00, but how often will I need something like that in Texas? Unless of course I start chasing Nilgai.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Welcome aboard. I say get them both... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
OP Offline
M
bsa,
Thanks for the welcome. Get them both, eh? Not a bad choice, but the pocket book will afford me with one (at this time).

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Find an All Weather Hawkeye 7/08 while you still can and problem solved wink

Welcome aboard!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mitch, it really depends on your personal preference. I'd narrow it down this way:

1. Which one fits you better?
2. Do you have a preference for CRF or Push feed?
3. Do you have a preference for a tang safety or wing safety?
4. Do you like mag box vs. hinged floor plate?
5. If you like to tinker with rifles, you might be better off buying the Hawkeye to improve the trigger and accuracy.
6. Which rifle do you prefer for carrying: Weight etc.
7. Does one rifle handle or balance a little better.
8. Which one will work better for your style of hunting?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

M
OP Offline
M
MagMarc, I'm not aware if the Ruger All Weather is available in LH.

bsa,
1. Which one fits you better? Slight edge to the Hawkeye

2. Do you have a preference for CRF or Push feed? No preference - but the old Mauser style action (CRF)

3. Do you have a preference for a tang safety or wing safety? Slight edge to the Hawkeye

4. Do you like mag box vs. hinged floor plate? No preference, they both have their place (but prefer the metal on the Hawkeye)

5. If you like to tinker with rifles, you might be better off buying the Hawkeye to improve the trigger and accuracy. - Not a tinkerer, but, I replace most triggers with a Timney

6. Which rifle do you prefer for carrying: Weight etc. Weight goes to the American - but outside of carrying my gun from the truck the stand - not a real issue

7. Does one rifle handle or balance a little better. They balance/handle similar. I quickly adapt to either/or

8. Which one will work better for your style of hunting? Both, I take the rifle out of truck, lug it to the stand, and wait for the feeder to go off. If I was ever to do spot and stalk (done it once) the American gets the edge, but it's not something I do.

Honestly, while I baby my rifles, sometimes I go on an out of town hunting trip and the weather might be foul (still in Texas), that's the only reason I'm considering the American (stainless), as it doesn't require the same amount of babying. But, if the weather might be foul, I'd likely take my Remington custom (Dougless stainless barrel - cerakoted and HS synthetic stock)

If it matters, I'll put a Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44 on it.

Last edited by MitchParker; 07/19/15.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a LH Hawkeye in 7mm-08 which I got last year. Was thinking of the Tikka but opted for the Hawkeye as I lean towards a wood stock which the Hawkeye has a very nice one. Wondering if I made a mistake until I shot it. 5 shot group in 5/8 inch, Put a trigger spring from Earnie the Gunsmith which brought it down to two and a half lbs with a Leupold scope and have never been happier or looked back. Heavier than the American but I am sort of out fashion and like wood.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MitchParker
MagMarc, I'm not aware if the Ruger All Weather is available in LH.

bsa,
1. Which one fits you better? Slight edge to the Hawkeye

2. Do you have a preference for CRF or Push feed? No preference - but the old Mauser style action (CRF)

3. Do you have a preference for a tang safety or wing safety? Slight edge to the Hawkeye

4. Do you like mag box vs. hinged floor plate? No preference, they both have their place (but prefer the metal on the Hawkeye)

5. If you like to tinker with rifles, you might be better off buying the Hawkeye to improve the trigger and accuracy. - Not a tinkerer, but, I replace most triggers with a Timney

6. Which rifle do you prefer for carrying: Weight etc. Weight goes to the American - but outside of carrying my gun from the truck the stand - not a real issue

7. Does one rifle handle or balance a little better. They balance/handle similar. I quickly adapt to either/or

8. Which one will work better for your style of hunting? Both, I take the rifle out of truck, lug it to the stand, and wait for the feeder to go off. If I was ever to do spot and stalk (done it once) the American gets the edge, but it's not something I do.

Honestly, while I baby my rifles, sometimes I go on an out of town hunting trip and the weather might be foul (still in Texas), that's the only reason I'm considering the American (stainless), as it doesn't require the same amount of babying. But, if the weather might be foul, I'd likely take my Remington custom (Dougless stainless barrel - cerakoted and HS synthetic stock)

If it matters, I'll put a Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44 on it.

Sounds like the Ruger Hawkeye All Weather is your huckleberry. In your posts, it seems like your leaning slightly more towards the Hawkeye. That's probably the one I'd get as well. I had one (all weather) in a 308 and it was a damn good rifle. Action was a little rougher than the American: Bolt didn't run as smoothly, but that's easy enough to fix. I'm also not going to say that all Americans shoot better than the Hawkeyes either, because I was just out shooting my buddies RAR a couple weeks ago and needless to say it got sent back to Ruger for accuracy issues... Not the norm with the Americans, but it does happen..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you want a rifle with some craftsmanship that your will be proud to hunt with and pass down to the grandkids one day the Hawkeye is the better choice. If I were going on a long distance hunt that cost a lot of money at this point I have more confidence in the Hawkeye working, especilly a hunt in harsh conditions where it might have to work if dirty or abused. I still think CRF offers an advantage in tough conditions. But time will tell, the American may well prove to be just as reliable.

I've owned examples of every generation of the Ruger 77. They are good rifles, but I have a sight preference for the very similar Winchester 70 design. Wouldn't feel a bit handicapped with any of the 77's even though I don't currently own one.

But the new Americans have caught my attention. They just plain shoot well for about 1/2 the price of a model 70. It is too early to say how well they will hold up long term.

For me, I still prefer my traditional rifles, but own a couple of the Americans too. Their utility, value, and accuracy are impressing me. They would be my first recommendation for someone looking for a budget rifle and not at all worried about aesthetics.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Welcome aboard!
No such thing in a left-handed Hawkeye.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B3

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Welcome aboard!

Yep, us Southpaw's are somewhat handicapped when it comes to rifles.

M
OP Offline
M
Just to throw a monkey wrench into things - how do you fellas feel about the Savage rifles? (never owned a Savage - but they seem to get a lot of love) And, quality wise are they on the same page as Ruger (or any of the other manufacturers?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hawkeye = Rifle.

RAR = POS.

Savage = Accurate'er POS.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Hawkeye of course other than for any other reason they have been discontinued in left hand.

Bricktop had a lefty Hawkeye re-barreled to .257 Bob a few years back...nice accurate rifle.

Doc

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was out the other day, taking some folks shooting who usually don't get much of an opportunity to do so...

We took along a Ruger American Predator in 223, a Savage 11 in 22.250, and a Rem ADL in 243....

looking at that ADL right next to the Ruger American... and then shooting each... all 3 are deadly accurate, but that ADL is definitely worth the extra $130 or so in price difference...feels less of a cheap POS....the Ruger, you look for the TupperWare Label...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
OP Offline
M
Sounds like another Hawkeye is in my future.

Last edited by MitchParker; 07/19/15.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MitchParker
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Welcome aboard!

Yep, us Southpaw's are somewhat handicapped when it comes to rifles.

Then wood it is.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You'll like the Hawkeye. I had this one rebarreled to .30-06 and customized. It's now my favorite rifle-and I have a few.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hawkeye. Your heirs will thank you.

RARs and the like are good shooters, but have all the character of a leaf-blower. You can put one in a Boyd's stock and class it up a bit, but then you've pretty much paid for a Hawkeye and ain't got one.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Go Hawkeye. It will be one of the best $150 you'll spend. I'm sorry if I offend some owners but the Ruger American just leaves me cold .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,591
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.