Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kjohn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Three years ago, my wife and I drove around in the Peace River country to check out the roads, etc. Two years ago, we hooked on to our Jayco 197 with the old 97 Suburban and headed to Whitehorse. Had a really good trip, poured a few liters of oil into the old Sub, but she made it.

Last year, we took a tour with the trailer and our 2013 Ford pickup to Yellowknife. Other than getting smoke bound in Yellowknife for four extra days, we had another great trip.

This summer, because we enjoyed both trips so much, we decided to do both. My wife has a nice new 2015 Ford pickup, so we hooked up the trailer and off we went. We took our time, often not getting too far in a day. We spent two nights in Yellowknife and Whitehorse and one nighters elsewhere. We did spend last night in a Days Inn at Whitecourt, AB.

There had been some fire activity south of Yellowknife, but no smoke to speak of. There was a lot of blackened forest along the highway between Fort St. John and Fort Nelson.
Northern Alberta, BC, Yukon Territory and the Northwest Territories are splendid places to travel. We met hundreds upon hundreds of US vehicles on the Alaska Highway. I tried to imagine just how a good farm boy from the wheat fields of Kansas must have felt when plopped in the bush, with the object of creating the Alaska Highway.

If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell!
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yup, the Alcan Highway and now even the Stewart-Cassiar, are crowded with Yanks enroute to Alaska, from spring to mid-Sept.

When, I first lived up there, the S-C was just being started, there was no pavement much north of St. John and it was all largely raw wilderness.....then, supposed "progress" happened.......

Personally, I wish the Highway 36 had never been built and all of NW BC was still wilderness

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Northern Canada is beautiful, I love trips that head that direction.

Next weekend we are headed the opposite direction. We will be headed southeast across Saskatchewan into North Dakota then south to southern Missouri to see family for a few days. The trip home will find us wandering a bit though.
Plan is to head NW across MO to KS, on up into NE then west to WY. From there.......SD, ID or MT depending on how the coin lands when I flip it. Will end up crossing into MT regardless at some point to get back across the Medicine Line into AB.
A new truck and the open road.....life is good.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My brother and I traveled the Alaska Highway to Fairbanks with my grandparents in 1959. The pavement ended at mile 38 and didn't show up again 'til the Alaska border. At the time we lived in Taylor at mile 36. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the spring of 1993, a few months after I retired, a group of five families left Ontario and headed to Alaska. We traveled through the mid-west taking in the sights and eventually crossed into BC. In total we took about two months before returning home. It is a trip we all still fondly remember.

Jim

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

405 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 44 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,325
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.