Print Thread
Hop To
K
kenoh2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I was going over my well used 510 to see if any trigger improvement could be had. As purchased, it was pretty consistent at 3lb 14oz. Not bad, but a little gritty. I decided to clean the action and apply a little lube without disassemble and it jumped up to 5lb. Some crud must have been dislodged in the cleaning so I took everything apart and cleaned it right. With all the components out I stoned all of the burred edges (did not touch the sear engagement surface) and applied dry lube. It is now very smooth and 2lb. 15oz.

Any thoughts on the reduced strength Patriot trigger springs? I can't imagine that it could get much better and still be safe.

My son and I have an ongoing competition that started with each of us finding a well used bolt action sporter 22 for under $175. We get together a couple times a year and shoot 20 rounds from a bench into a standard 50yd smallbore target for score.
My son's rifle is an early Winchester 67 and we are pretty evenly matched even though the barrel on my 510 is bulged near the center.

GB1

K
kenoh2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Raining today so fiddled with the 510 some more.

I noticed an unused threaded hole on the bottom of the receiver in front of the trigger. It is directly under the front extension of the trigger. The end of an old aluminum shotgun cleaning rod threaded in perfectly. I cut the threaded end of the rod off so that it would be nearly flush with the bottom of the receiver, cut a screwdriver slot in it, applied teflon tape to the threads and now have an adjustable trigger stop without altering the rifle. The only drawback is that the bolt cannot be removed without pulling the stock and backing it out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a number of 510, 511, and 512 rifles.

I have tried to improve the trigger.

Normally I would say that I can get any bolt action trigger down to 2 pounds safety and any semi auto down to 4 pounds safely.

But my motto for me and 510 triggers is, leave them alone. They are constructed so cheaply, it is a wonder they work at all.

If you want to see how hard I work at improving triggers... just watch this video. Then remember.... I gave up on the 510

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPn8IdNJ_SE

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
kenoh2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Nice video and interesting work on the Mosin trigger.

I'm plenty happy with the 510 trigger now at just under 3 pounds. Cleaning burrs off of the edges of the sear and trigger where they overlap made the biggest difference. The trigger stop works very well.
The crown had a lot of tiny nicks in it so I lightly lapped the very edge of it.

Just got done shooting 10 rounds a few minutes ago at 50 yards. 6 shots in the ten ring, 4 in the nine with 4 X's. Not good enough for matches but my son had better bring his "A" game along with the Winchester next time.

The rifle shoots better than my eyes can see iron sights. Two months ago I was prescribed my first glasses ever and I hated them... until I discovered that I can shoot iron sights again!

Last edited by kenoh2; 07/19/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most 510, 511, and 512 [ beehive] rifles will shoot 1" 5 shot groups at 50 yards with the "right" cheap ammo for them. That is average with a scope. 0.25" groups can be cut out from the target and carried in the wallet to show, but 1" is average.

In 1985 I shot a great horned owl that was taking my chickens, at 275 feet with a stinger from a Rem 510 with peep sight in front and rear.

My eyes got old in 1991 and I needed a scope.

Since I killed all those animals with drilled and tapped 510, I started using a 10/22. I killed a lot.

Then I switched to a Rem 550-1 [semi auto beehive] and killed with that. It will shoot shorts.

Then I switched to the Rem 572 [pump that will shoot shorts]. Lots of dead animals.

Then I switched to Win 61 [pump that will shoot shorts].
I killed a rat with it 4 days ago:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._2015_annual_dead_critter_a#Post10148016

I know a guy who has killed a lot of elephants in Africa. I tell him you can get just as much sport shooting a rodent with a 22 in your back yard. I stalked that last rat for two weeks.

My brother got a raccoon with a 22 this morning, 900 miles from here. He sent me two pics. He only sends one pic when he shoots and elk with a 30-06.

I think it has something to do with what we were doing when we were 12. Hunting the swamps with a 22.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 72 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.