Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Secured an aramid stock from CZ and will be shipping out my 375 to Wayne the end of this week for his upgrade 2. I'm looking for some advice and maybe photos of rifles that you all have had him work on. Debating 21 vs 23" barrel. I'm leaning 21. Also looking for advise on which front site to go with. I'm leaning fiber optic but I'm open to thoughts and suggestions. Going with the gunkote finish, graphite color. This will be an all around rifle for hunting in the northeast US and hopefully get it to Africa a few times in my life.

Last edited by FFemtRN5287; 06/21/15.

Brandon Gleason
BP-B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had a chance to pickup a used CZ 375 that wayne had worked over for the last owner. Nice gun and nice work. Mine has a slender wood stock with a good feel. And the enhancements which you will get in the level II. It is a whole different style, from your vision. A more traditional rifle. Unfortunately the bbl was left at 25". That maybe typical of the old days, and I am too cheep to change it. But it is just too much.

I like the CZ pop up receiver site for a classy and classic option. I dont have one and never saw one in person. I just think I would like that. It is an old school Brno site. If wayne can retrofit the CZ rear peep sight, think about that. Or there are NECG peeps which I use now. On a custom, I might even delete the rear bbl sights, if it could be done and look clean. Maybe. Then use a QD mounted scope and peeps. The NECG peeps work. I dont know how or how well the CZ's adjust.

For my 2c all these big guns should have a as standard factory offering a 22" barrel. Not 24 or 25. My vote is 22" as was standard on Winchester M70 African guns for many years.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here is a 9.3x62 I traded for a few years ago. It's a full custom, nice gun. My only fault with it, it's a tad heavy. But with this round, a very confortable shooter.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
While mine is an older BRNO I had the barrel cut to 23" and added an NECG adjustable front sight with the larger white bead, kept the original rear sight and added a Talley banded sling base. It already had the 3 position safety, single stage trigger and modified bolt when I bought it. I am pleased.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

What caliber, Ed.

And what rings?

DF

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My buddy just had AHR build a CZ in 505 Gibbs delivered with a 22 " barrel. We tried it out a couple of weeks ago, splendid rifles. He also has a 600 ok on a Montana action by AHR. What can I say they are impressive pieces that function very well.

Trying his new toy.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you all for showing your beautiful rifles. Beyond that, and something I hold valuable, they all look like solid working rifles. I'm still hemming and hawing on 21 vs 23" barrel, Ill talk to Wayne about that this week to discuss balance. I'm probably going to go for the fiberoptic front site to back up the Leupold Euro-30 1.25-4x scope that resides on the rifle now in Warne QD's.

Brandon Gleason
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Balance is the deal.

My very heavy factory barreled M-70 NH .375 H&H did very well cut to 21". The factory 24" tube handled like a club. Lighter contour barrels may do better longer.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FFemtRN5287
Thank you all for showing your beautiful rifles. Beyond that, and something I hold valuable, they all look like solid working rifles. I'm still hemming and hawing on 21 vs 23" barrel, Ill talk to Wayne about that this week to discuss balance. I'm probably going to go for the fiberoptic front site to back up the Leupold Euro-30 1.25-4x scope that resides on the rifle now in Warne QD's.

The fiber optic is nice and bright.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Balance is the deal.

My very heavy factory barreled M-70 NH .375 H&H did very well cut to 21". The factory 24" tube handled like a club. Lighter contour barrels may do better longer.

DF

I have one of those I have been considering cutting down. Who did your work for you? Did you do anything on the sights?

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Dave at IT&D.

21" balances and handles great with the NH M-70 Express. NECG irons.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave at IT&D.

21" balances and handles great with the NH M-70 Express. NECG irons.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like it!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks.

I tweaked the NH trigger to a very slick 3# let off. This gun will cycle EMPTY .375 H&H cases from the mag as fast as I can work the bolt and with NO hang ups. The old H&H is a genius of a case design for DG and pure function. And, it shoots really well.

I ripped out the Tupperware hot glue bedding, drilled holes all around and bedded the lug with Steel Bed. Nothing sticks very well to Tupperware. By drilling holes in different directions, the bedding traps itself and won't be going anywhere.

I like this gun, as you can tell. Guns come and go. This one is a keeper. The only upgrade would be an Echols Legend stock. But, for $600, this stock isn't that bad. It has good ergonomics and feels right. So, it may stay as is.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Forgot to add, it now has a different scope in Talley QD's.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
That's a fantastic looking rifle, dirtfarmer! How do you find muzzle blast now with the shorter barrel vs the factory length? I obviously assume louder/more, but significantly?

Brandon Gleason
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, if you shoot'em long enough and often enough, it's not a problem. You won't be able to hear anything, anyway... shocked

Seriously, I can't tell the difference, 24" and 21" with that round. Maybe I've reached the round count to qualify for the above... grin

That's not a high intensity round such that you'd see a lot of difference, IMO.

With a DG rifle, balance and handling are high level concerns, more than velocity, etc.

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wayne certainly knows his way around Dangerous Game rifles and will "work" the rifle to achieve reliable feed and ejection BEFORE shipping the rifle, not just after a customer complains. That's a refreshing change in this day of bolt-together "custom" rifles.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd order it with the blade sight and no folding leaves, and no hood. Wayne does great work. He regulated my sights for the ammo I sent him and made sure it fed flat nose bullets like I asked.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Forgot to add, it now has a different scope in Talley QD's.

DF

Found a photo showing current configuration with 3-9x40 Conquest that I mounted for load development. In fact, it's not a bad scope to go with, although I have a 3X Leupold with #4 German reticle in QD's. The Conquest has a nice, easy to see duplex and great glass.

DF

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well, received my upgraded rifle today and I can honestly say it's everything I wanted. The rifle balances really well with the 23" barrel, and points very nicely. The action has fed one of everything I've tried to feed through it (235-300gr, spitzer, TTSX, TSX, round, flat, and empty cases). Side by side comparison between this rifle and my stock CZ 550 Lott is night and day. Love the reshaped bolt handle and really love the trigger. Hoping to get to the range early enough tonight before trap starts to send a few down range.

Now to just convince my wife I need one of Wayne's Big Game rifles for my 30th birthday to match it! Well, I've got almost two years to do that, so I better get going...

Brandon Gleason
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
328 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.