Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1minute Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
With an abundance of recent wildfires and their accompanying haze, we're getting some great sunrise/sunsets. Once the sun is beneath the horizon a little tweaking can typically generate a suitable image. Need some hints though for when that big glowing orb is in the frame and still perched just above the horizon. Could be I'm simply asking too much. Suggestions?

Anything I'd put up would have black foregrounds and burned out sky, so no images from this end.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/20/15.

1Minute
GB2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The best sensors right now capture about 7 or 8 stops of light from brightest bright to darkest dark. With the sun in the sky, you will be way beyond those stops. If I had to lose detail in one of the areas, the sun would be it. I typically would shoot in manual, spot meter so the sun is just out of the frame and balance the meter to +1. Then recompose, the meter will be all over the place, but do a shot and see what it looks like. You might make a slight adjustment. I have had luck also just shooting in Aperture Mode, Matrix or Multisegment metering and setting the overall meter to about -1 or -2. Cheat and check out the LCD screen to see if you need to adjust the exposure compensation any.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
1minute Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Cheat and check out the LCD screen to see if you need to adjust the exposure compensation any.

It really hurts my eyes when I do that.

Thanks for the hints, and I'll run them off and pack them to the field next outing. Going out for about a week but it's down into a canyon land fishing environment. Have a good one,

1Minute
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You could also play with graduated neutral density filter, of course another gadget to buy that only gets used now and then.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would take two exposures. One for the land and one for the sky, and blend in PS. With the sun still in the frame, you may also have to take another for the sky at -5stops or use manual and blend the 3 exposures. The direct sun will still be overexposed. Or use a very small aperture and make a sunstar.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
With Graduated ND filters and blending exposures, you will get great results with lots of details. Good ideas. Don't forget though to use a tripod to keep all of your lines in the right place. Blending or a filter has to have steady bases, but is definitely a great way to do it. I do it often and love the results.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
184 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 25 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.