Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Shodd,

I am not cyber-bullyformidilious but I would advise you to let the child shoot the .22LR until they grow into the Tikka. Because they grow into a standard 13.5 LOP a lot faster than I think most realize.

The SS is forgiving but not as UBER as the 6X42 is for children IMO.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Shodd,

I am not cyber-bullyformidilious but I would advise you to let the child shoot the .22LR until they grow into the Tikka. Because they grow into a standard 13.5 LOP a lot faster than I think most realize.

The SS is forgiving but not as UBER as the 6X42 is for children IMO.

Travis

Thanks Travis,

Much appreciated, and most likely saved me from a brow beating response from this formidulous fellow! smile

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Berettaman,

I have been down this road and went .223. IMO it is a good choice for all the reasons noted by Formidilio. This despite his being a habitual cyber-bully.

I have yet to meet the kid that will shoot 50 rounds straight out of a 7-08 or .243. Not saying they aren't out there, but I've yet to meet them.

I don't like my children very much but I will admit they shoot pretty damn well.

Travis

As much as it pains me, I gotta agree with Travis... blush

.223 with the right bullets is deadly. Around here, it's the standard for starting young hunters. You can cut down the OEM stock, upgrade as they grow.

Get the fastest twist you can and if you aren't a reloader, become one.

And, pay attention to the trigger. IMO, a sorry trigger is the biggest impediment to a young shooter becoming a marksman.

Get them something they can be proud of, not the cheapest thing you can find. Be sure the gun fits and spend time busting caps, more the better.

Then, get them into reloading... cool

Kinda like, "Don't give a man a fish, teach him how to fish"... smile

DF

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Folks who let kids shoot with a rifle with a heavy trigger fail to realize that kids have much less strength to pull that trigger. So a heavy trigger for an adult will be super heavy for a kid.

I really like the AR 15 platform for kids. The five or six position stocks will fit everyone in the family with a click. A bolt rifle with a really nice stock would be a shame to booger up for just a couple of years until the kid grows into it. For that reason I like the Ruger American. Buy an extra compact stock (tupperware is cheap) and swap out as necessary.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Isn't it about time mini-flave moved up to Copenhagen? Can't coddle him forever...

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One thing I see too often is a crap scope on a kid's rifle, even when the rifle is OK.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree that the .223 would be a great choice, especially since you already have a .243. My son started hunting deer with a 30-06 since that's what we had at the time, and he did just fine with it. But he was 12 and the rifle had a synthetic stock with a decelerator pad on it. For smaller kids a light recoiling rifle would be better. If you do get around to elk, then it might be time to look at a 7mm08.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A deer camp friend of mine has a son who has become very recoil shy. He started the boy on a Mod 7 Rem. in 308 with full power loads. I advised against it, and it did turn out to be a big mistake.

I found out he has an AR type 223 that his son loves to shoot. When I asked about the twist the answer was 7". I told him problem solved, it'll shoot a variety of deer killing ammo no sweat.

Things ought to be much better this fall.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good advice. He should have talked to you before the boy became recoil shy with the bigger gun.

He should be able to overcome that with the .223 and a good bit of trigger time.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
just to refresh my issue. I have twin boys (7)and a girl (11). So I have more than 1 of these to buy. I gotta noodle on this dos, dos, tres deal.

Ruger American....the next step up? Browning? Winchester? Kimber? Sako A7? yikes, I can see the $$$ rolling now...

Let the games really begin now that we have moved off the caliber and can start talking brand.... eek

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Oh, and thanks guys for posting your opinions (and pictures of roadkill, Deflave) laugh . I really do appreciate it.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Shod,

The 223rem SL is a neat setup.

[Linked Image]

Sierra 77gr TMK's are a bit finicky, however 10 round groups are still averaging just over 1 MOA. 69gr SMK's average just under 1 MOA. The group on the right is 10 rounds of factory Federal 62gr Fusion at 100 yards. That ammo/bullet performs great on deer.

It is correct that they will grow into guns faster then one may think, however I have zero issue cutting a Tikka stock down to fit them every year (would probably go .5in longer than needed). The stocks are cheap enough and I'm all about them burning through barrels.

Da'Flave strikes again, as the SS is good in regards to eyebox/head placement yet none of them are better than the 6x42mm Leupold. I would personally try the SS first as mine don't have an issue in that regard, and they really like using/shooting The same system and being able to make their own elevation/wind calls even at relatively short range.

A Tikka 223 SL with either a 6x SS or a 6x42 Leupold and good bullets is a great way to go. Mine will see a lot of blood this year.

Mr. Travis,

Your rude and mean comments are unacceptable and unnecessary. To make me feel better I require a formal written apology...........

Or you can punch yourself...... grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think the fast twist .223 is fine to get them started on antelope and deer. And it's adjustable in an AR with a six position stock.

My one contribution is to get the stock that fits well and the caliber you choose won't matter nearly as much.

I cut down a stock for my .257 Roberts and my boys loved it, and it's still being used by my wife. Leaving the barrel a little "too long" is not really a bad thing. The muzzle blast being just a little bit further away will help with perceived recoil.

There are managed recoil loads to help, but a good fitting stock helps tremendously. When they've gained confidence, and grown a bit, you can put the full length stock back on.

You could start them sharing a .223 so your only keeping track of one firearm in the field. Your young Lady will move on to a "real" rifle leaving the .223 for the younger boys. Managed recoil loads in a 7-08 or .308 until the confidence is there and then trying full power loads with light bullets is an easy progression.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you decide to cut a wood stock, first drill two 1/2" holes lengthwise from the butt, then cut with a very fine toothed saw. Add a strap-on pad to protect the cut butt. Save the "scrap" piece where you won't lose it. When you want a longer stock, put glue on a pair of 1/2" dowels and reassemble to stock with a mallet. Refinish the stock, and you'll never be able to find the cut.

If you manage to lose the piece, just add spacers under the pad every year until the shooter stops growing.

I hear you about having three of everything to buy, Berettaman. It's like these single people telling me flying is cheaper than driving - until I remind them I have to buy four tickets.

Thank God for Ruger, Savage, and bulk ammo.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Good advice. He should have talked to you before the boy became recoil shy with the bigger gun.

He should be able to overcome that with the .223 and a good bit of trigger time.

DF

Before the "308 trauma" occurred I offered to make up some low recoil loads with 4198 and 125 Sierras using the Hornady brass from Dad's sight in ammo. I got waved off at the time.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Isn't it about time mini-flave moved up to Copenhagen? Can't coddle him forever...

I choose the chamberings they shoot. They choose the dip they dip and the beer they drink.

Compromise.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Berettaman
just to refresh my issue. I have twin boys (7)and a girl (11). So I have more than 1 of these to buy. I gotta noodle on this dos, dos, tres deal.

Ruger American....the next step up? Browning? Winchester? Kimber? Sako A7? yikes, I can see the $$$ rolling now...

Let the games really begin now that we have moved off the caliber and can start talking brand.... eek

I like my kid's gear to be on par with my own.

I do this so when I outshoot them, I can rub it in their face and they have no excuses. Common sense.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Or you can punch yourself...... grin

I just won a fist fight with my dick, if that counts.

Travis

PS-Those 10 shot groups are going to hurt your barrel.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Oh, and thanks guys for posting your opinions (and pictures of roadkill, Deflave) laugh . I really do appreciate it.

I hope you now realize a .223 will kill deer. If not, let me know. I have more pics.

Dave

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I like the idea of a standard size Ruger American in 7mm-08 or 308 win. You can start off with reduced loads and increase the power with age. Also for about $50.00 you can get a compact shock for the gun. The compact stock is an easy swap. You can change over from the standard and the compact stock for shooters of different size.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.