Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by obie458
You can start off with reduced loads and increase the power with age.

Nothing like buying a V8 and then ripping some spark plugs to make it "better" for your teenager....

I have to wonder how many that suggest reduced loads have ever really used them themselves. Having done it, I find it sucks. In comparison to just going with a cartridge that recoils less with proper loads, it's a poor bandaid.

I would rather hunt every creature on earth with a 223 with me picking the bullet, than any 7-08/308 with reduced ammo.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You can start off with reduced loads and increase the power with age. Also for about $50.00 you can get a compact shock for the gun. The compact stock is an easy swap. You can change over from the standard and the compact stock for shooters of different size.

Good in theory but sucks ass in practice IME.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For long range deer and antelope a 25-06 is excellent and recoil is surprisingly light. I think less than your daughter's 20 ga.

It sounds fun, good luck to all of them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Shod,

The 223rem SL is a neat setup.

[Linked Image]

Sierra 77gr TMK's are a bit finicky, however 10 round groups are still averaging just over 1 MOA. 69gr SMK's average just under 1 MOA. The group on the right is 10 rounds of factory Federal 62gr Fusion at 100 yards. That ammo/bullet performs great on deer.

It is correct that they will grow into guns faster then one may think, however I have zero issue cutting a Tikka stock down to fit them every year (would probably go .5in longer than needed). The stocks are cheap enough and I'm all about them burning through barrels.

Da'Flave strikes again, as the SS is good in regards to eyebox/head placement yet none of them are better than the 6x42mm Leupold. I would personally try the SS first as mine don't have an issue in that regard, and they really like using/shooting The same system and being able to make their own elevation/wind calls even at relatively short range.

A Tikka 223 SL with either a 6x SS or a 6x42 Leupold and good bullets is a great way to go. Mine will see a lot of blood this year.

Mr. Travis,

Your rude and mean comments are unacceptable and unnecessary. To make me feel better I require a formal written apology...........

Or you can punch yourself...... grin

Formidilosus,

I was thinking exactly the same thing. No reason not to cut the stock down as I can just put a new one on in a couple years.

De'Flave is actually a wonderful individual the only reason he recommended my kid not shoot the 223 is because he doesn't much like kids............Grin

I'll have to take a look at the Remington SL and may go that route especially if it works better for the kiddo.

Flave did warn me you would cyber bully me into taking the child's needs into consideration God bless him for being a true friend. laugh

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 07/24/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
He is one of those rare kind hearted individuals that is quite sensitive and lashes out at people for like no reason at all.....

To be clear the rifle from the pictures is a Tikka SL in 223rem.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm late to the convo Bettaman, but it's hard to argue with what's been said. A .223 with the right bullet is a killing machine, that doesn't kick and can be cheap to feed.

That said, when I bought my son his first deer rifle last year (year before??) i got a youth 700 SPS in .243. My reasoning was it's a pretty damn versatile chambering, light recoil, and when that barrel is shot up I can spin on a fast twist 22-250 which is what I'd have bought him if it existed or built for him if I'd more cash on hand at the time. That with a Burris FFII 3-9 with the ballistic reticle made for a dead buck at 285 last year, and I'm confident it'll put an antelope and another deer in the freezer this year. And it's more accurate than I'd dared hope for. It is a rather loud [bleep] though.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Did you buy that .243 before or after the .223?

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Did you buy that .243 before or after the .223?

Clark

After. I'd already bought him a #3 in .223 which is a sweet little number, but heavy for him at the time to lug afield and I wanted a repeater.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Got you good you fugker!

Clark

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Negative goofball. I didn't say first rifle, or even first centerfire, I said first deer rifle. Go back to bed.

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
All you had to say was "another vote for the .223."

Long winded fugk.

Clark

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had my little girls out shooting my .223ai Montana yesterday. The 13yo is gonna hunt deer with it this year. I had to work her up to full house loads with Trailboss loads. She is dainty and didn't like the step up from the .17hmr I've had her on for a few years. My plan had always been .243 for the girls and I bought several.

My 8yo was so excited to shoot her big sisters gun she wants to go every week and wants one for her birthday. I couldn't be happier and I am very glad I didn't ruin them trying to have them shoot .243 loads.

I'm currently looking at which .223 to get for the little one. I'd like to cut it down so it fits her and will gladly buy a new stock once she grows into it. Thinking Tikka SL but with the long action, it's a big gun. Still deciding.
[Linked Image]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Whatever Travis says. He knows ALL, including all about beer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

John,

You can see by the above picture, I very clearly know nothing on the subject...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Higbean,

That's a good setup.

A SL in 223 with a cutdown stock and barrel chopped to 20-21 inches is a very solid way to go.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

+1

Hands down my favorite poster.

Dave

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
You can start off with reduced loads and increase the power with age.

Nothing like buying a V8 and then ripping some spark plugs to make it "better" for your teenager....

I have to wonder how many that suggest reduced loads have ever really used them themselves. Having done it, I find it sucks. In comparison to just going with a cartridge that recoils less with proper loads, it's a poor bandaid.

I would rather hunt every creature on earth with a 223 with me picking the bullet, than any 7-08/308 with reduced ammo.

Well reduced 7mm-08 ammo still has way more power than even the most powerful 233 loads. I do think the 22lr is what you should start kids off with and the next step is the 223 but for deer hunting? I know with proper shot placement you can kill any animal with just about any caliber ever made but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to try it.

Last edited by obie458; 07/26/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Higbean

John,

You can see by the above picture, I very clearly know nothing on the subject...

Funny. When I looked at the picture, I wondered if that was your gut er I mean your midsection.

Montana MOFO
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Well reduced 7mm-08 ammo still has way more power than even the most powerful 233 loads. I do think the 22lr is what you should start kids off with and the next step is the 223 but for deer hunting? I know with proper shot placement you can kill any animal with just about any caliber ever made but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to try it.

What is "way more power"? Can you describe what that means and how it relates?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dunno Obie, sure likes like miniflave killed the hell outta those dear in the pics above.

Travis,

What 223 loads, twist, barrel length, are you/your boy using?

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,248
Posts18,466,936
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.