24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone put the Lion barrels onto the Savage (Valmet) 2400 receiver?

I hear they will fit, so I ordered a Lion 12/222 and a Lion 12/12, mostly for the barrels. Simpson Ltd had some at decent prices, and if they work I have a wrecking yard full of parts.

BTW, Floyd at Simpson will deal a little on some guns.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=40045

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=40041

They went 10% off on these and combined shipping.

Simpson has some real beaters, but they also have some sleepers like this Sauer drilling in 8X57IRS... .323 bore 8mm with 2 3/4" 16ga chambers and a very good Kohler scope in claw mounts, complete with leather lens covers.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_i...;osCsid=f09835203e0b80f49af6a0a67ebab1cb

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've bought a few guns from them, most of them were as described,one had some serious issues but they had mis-listed the caliber and was much more desirable so I kept it and delt with the issues.

That looks like a nice set you picked up, chukars in the morning coyotes in the evening.

I'm hoping to stop at Simpsons in Sept on my way to my 50 year reunion.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a set of barrels for the 2400 and 2 of them are valmet
1 is a lion 12/12--it fits but I had to re-do the forearm attachment hook to fit the savage 2400 forearm
The other has been described to me as a valmet 312 in 22 savage HP over 12--I bought the whole gun --it has 2 triggers and all my 2400 barrels (308,222,12/12 and 20/20)fit it and vice versa to my 2400 reciever--which is actually a 330 receiver

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks!

That's what I wanted to hear.

All I need now is a good cheap 20/20 set.

I'll be set up with 12/308, 12/222, 12/12.

Somebody needs to buy my 412S two barrel set with Valmet factory mount and SS extended choke tubes for the 3"/28" 12/12 set, along with some regular blued steel tubes.

It's listed in the Classifieds.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
be careful when you look for the 20/20 barrels
I had a set of valmet that would not fit--I never found out which valmet they were and I sold them to Numrich.
The 330 20/20 barrels are what I have

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the heads up!

The 20/20 are low priority, so I'll get a set or a 330 20ga when a too-good-to-pass-up one comes along. wink

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bruce, I have a set of 20 guage 26" 330 barrels that somehow got adrift from one of the two-guage sets that Savage used to market back in the '70s. They popped right onto my 2400 12/.222 (the one you DIDN'T get!).

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mesa
Bruce, I have a set of 20 guage 26" 330 barrels that somehow got adrift from one of the two-guage sets that Savage used to market back in the '70s. They popped right onto my 2400 12/.222 (the one you DIDN'T get!).

Oh...so I got the dog, and you kept the thoroughbred?? smirk

wink I'm broke...

Shoot me a price or trade wish list. whistle

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I received the two Valmet guns from Simpson, and the barrels all interchange on all three receivers perfectly. That speaks well for general quality control.

I can use either a SS trigger or a DT now, as is easiest for me to use, and I can use a rougher receiver and wood set for tougher hunts and save the great wood on the Savage 2400 I got from Mesa. He did right by me on that gun! cool

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I never shot one of the Valmets, but they seem well made. I recall re-chambering one of the 375's to 375 H&H mag for my German sausage maker who shot a lot of game in Africa with it on several trips.

Last edited by brayhaven; 06/30/15.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had a 30-06 DR set that been re-chambered to 300 Flanged Magnum. I got it cheap from an estate sale. It offered no real improvement over the '06, but it was fun toy for a while.

A 375 H&H would be a great barrel set! cool

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, he loved it. Strangely the alternate bbl groups tightened up.
He even used it stateside for deer :o).

Greg
FYI: Some new drillings & combos at my website.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sorry Bruce, not really interested in selling the 20 barrels. The 12/.222 isn't in quite as nice as the 12/.308 you got (real plain wood), but it fits my current hunting situation better.

If anybody comes up with a factory stock and forend for a 12 guage Savage/Valmet 333, I'm still looking for one! Field, skeet, or trap will do. Just needs to be sound wood.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Get this one for spare parts and the wood. It's been there a while. I'll bet they come down 10%, maybe more.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=37886

OR...this very nice one... It's been there a LONG time.
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=27481

Simpson doesn't have a clue as to which models they are listing in Valmet o/u guns.

Here is an actual 212. The two above look to be early 330s. Notice the forend metal/wood design difference.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=32755

Last edited by luv2safari; 07/19/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That two trigger Valmet is on my list to look at when I stop at their store in Sept.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bruce, looking at those two Valmets you gave links for answers a question I'd had for a long time--were the 330 stocks made in Finland or the US?

I'd had the notion that the "relatively crude" (some tending more towards "crappy") stamped checkering 330 stocks and forends were something Savage cooked up and added to the Finnish made barreled actions. Couldn't believe that Valmet had made them when so many early and later non-Savage Valmets have positively yummy stock wood and expert hand checkering!

Wrong again.

Anybody have or have seen a 16 guage Valmet, by the way? I just missed a 16 guage "Leijona" at a gunshop in Western Massachussets a few years ago. Never even got to see it!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mike,

Valmet had a reputation for making pretty rudimentary firearms, and the stamped checkering fits right in. The stocks on their 640 series rifles were notorious for cracking, and many split behind the tang.

The wood on the 412 series was plain with few exceptions. The 2400 Savage guns seemed to be some of the nicest guns they produced; the contract with Savage appears to have dictated that.

I recently received two of these 1970s 330 guns with the embossed checkering. The wood is good dense straight grained walnut with no figure. The guns were cheap enough, and I bought them for the barrels, but I have grown to like these "experienced" guns just as they are...great utilitarian firearms. I got one in 12/222 and one in 12/12 28" M&F to make a 3-barrel set for that wonderful 2400 12/308 I got from you. In the two older guns I got were one with SST and one with DT receivers. I'm tempted to install the DT in the 2400, since I'm more used to double triggers over years of using them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had a 330 several years ago and shot it really well, but couldn't get it to quit doubling. If I'd known where to get the trigger fixed (or better yet replaced with 2 triggers) I'd still have it. It even had 2 barrel sets, same gauge and length, different chokes.

Later, I had a single trigger gun that didn't always fire the second barrel. Some guys just can't master the single trigger, I guess.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Valmet SST system has been the shortfall of the Valmet O/Us...all of them. They and the firing pins have been known to fail a bit too regularly.

Still, I know of Valmet trap guns that have several hundred thousand rounds down the tubes without missing a beat.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
283 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 26 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.