Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
They made Colorado Green Chili on Cook's Country (PBS) and it looked really good. My youngest is a chili fanatic, and we agree we would like to make it.

Any recipes, advice, comments on Colorado Green Chili. They used 2lbs of Anaheim peppers and 3 Jalapeno peppers, I have never eaten Anaheim peppers before, what is so distinctive about their taste ? Hotter ? Spicier ? More acidic ?

Thank you,

Lynn

GB2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Green Chili peppers have their own distinct flavor for sure but that also mostly comes from being roasted and than peeled.

I buy them in the fall when there are road side stands where they roast them over open flames in a drum. They smell wonderful and aromatic.

I usually buy a few bushels and vacuum pack and freeze, I leave the skin on and seeds in for storage.

If you can only get Anaheim peppers in raw form I would lightly coat them in oil and throw them on your grill until the skin is nice and dark. Let them cool a little and then peel them.

Last edited by TexasTBag; 07/21/15.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Coated with oil and under the broiler will work as well...just be sure to throw them in a plastic bag while cooling, this method really helps to remove the skins.

Also, Colorado Green Chile is a bit different than the green chile I usually make at home. For a good starting point for Pork Green Chile, try this recipe.

ETA: The recipe above is for New Mexican green chile stew and delicious.

Last edited by Jcubed; 07/21/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No colorado green chile recipes here..

Might have a new Mexico green chili recipe laying around, though.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
No colorado green chile recipes here..

Might have a new Mexico green chili recipe laying around, though.

[Linked Image]

That looks frikken delicious ! smile

May I ask what you serve it with ?

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Tortillas, sour cream, chopped onion, cilantro rice, refried beans, queso fresco (mexican cheese that has a salty taste), salsas...anything you want really smile

ETA: I forgot the pickled red onion!!!!!!! A must!

Last edited by Jcubed; 07/21/15.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RL is right.....Spend the extra and put in your order in early for NM Hatch Chilies.

You can thank us later! Canadian style! grin

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The anaheims are a mild pepper, which allows you to use 2 lbs of them and still have a pot of chili that isn't going to burn you.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have made it for years and I have posted the recipe previously. That said, we watched the same show and will be using their recipe tonight. I particularly liked their method of browning the meat.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I love that stuff.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by EdM
I have made it for years and I have posted the recipe previously. That said, we watched the same show and will be using their recipe tonight. I particularly liked their method of browning the meat.

Yes, I do too, that is the way we brown cubed meats for stews, ground meats for long simmering in sauces, and sausages for cassoulet.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
That looks like the one. I was wondering what leftovers would be like served along side a couple of fried or poached eggs and a tortilla or two....

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Miss Lynn,

"Green Chili" & "leftovers" - those two terms are not compatible.

In the next town over, there is a little Mexican restaurant that makes the best green chili in the state - but only twice a week. Wednesdays for lunch and Saturday nights. I love it but having to stand in line to get some is a pain!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a dish out here called a 'slopper'. It's basically an open faced cheeseburger (or you can serve it 'closed'...with a bun on top) that's served with green chile smothering the burger. Then topped with some grated cheese and some avocado or guacamole on top. The green chile is made by cooking down some roasted green chile's, along with some pork, onions, and tomatoes. It's not a burger you eat with your bare hands either. A fork and a knife, and a spoon, are necessary to get it all done. Good stuff too...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antlers
We have a dish out here called a 'slopper'. It's basically an open faced cheeseburger (or you can serve it 'closed'...with a bun on top) that's served with green chile smothering the burger. Then topped with some grated cheese and some avocado or guacamole on top. The green chile is made by cooking down some roasted green chile's, along with some pork, onions, and tomatoes. It's not a burger you eat with your bare hands either. A fork and a knife, and a spoon, are necessary to get it all done. Good stuff too...!

Sounds right tasty.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by antlers

*Drooling here*

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Miss Lynn,

"Green Chili" & "leftovers" - those two terms are not compatible.

In the next town over, there is a little Mexican restaurant that makes the best green chili in the state - but only twice a week. Wednesdays for lunch and Saturday nights. I love it but having to stand in line to get some is a pain!

I'll be there at Offutt Air Force Base in late October, maybe I can find you and I could stand in line with you and have a taste grin

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Miss Lynn,

In late October we should be in our new house in Omaha and if you will give me a call we will take you out for some very fine Baja style Mexican cuisine. The little place with the green chili is about 125 mile drive. frown

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Unless things have changed since the late 60s there should be some good green grown in the Arkansas valley eat of Pueblo.

Dang the 60s, probably all subdivisions now, not farms.

Subdivisons have swallowed up much or the Rio valley in NM.

Last bunch we bought and processed was the last year that Tagami's raised on their farm south of Isleta Pueblo and they wen tout of the finest Big Jims I have ever peeled and eaten.

Yep sold to a subdivision.

I can see that looks like a winner.

I will have to dig out my Green Chili Venison stew recipe and post it here.

Requires Venison, beef does not work.

Last edited by LouisB; 07/25/15.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.