-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
With Wyoming listing the 2015 season dates, we're headed there after sage grouse. We were planning on hunting the Shirley Basin area. Anyone know anyone in the area that offers a trespass fee to hunt?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots and lots of public land in Wyoming.

Study your maps and look for water and green sage brush.

The limit is 2 chickens per day, so not a lot of shooting.

Second largest native bird in the US.

The small ones eat better. The big ones we call B-52's or bombers.

In good years you can drive around and locate them.

Gas stations can be a long way off.

Never hunted the Shirley Basin, but would like to some day.

We all shoot 20 gauges, modified/imp, 6 or 71/2. Not hard to kill.

Last edited by Reba; 07/21/15.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
307 Shirley Basin is almost all BLM land.. But Q Creek has a bunch of ranches to the south and it is all locked up.. So stick with the basin area.. I have never hunted that area, but there are grouse there.. I haven't checked the dates, but if it is in late Sept. the green grass/water/sage brush is a great start.. but they may have moved off the grass into the sage for winter..

I would suggest a set of binocs because you can often spot them moving at quite a distance with the sun at your back. The Basin is hunted quite a bit by the guys from Casper.. So you will see other hunters.

You might try the Medicine Bow area.. There was a ranch east of there that permitted hunting.. I shot my first sage grouse there in 73..

While I have shot many grouse with the 20 ga. and even the 28, much depends on the numbers of grouse, how much they have been hunted, and how late the season is.. If they have been pushed at all, they can become very wary.. Often getting up at 35+ yards.. So take that into account.. The early days of season, they are like all game birds, not as wild.. Sometimes in late season, I do take my 12's with full chokes and 5's..

You just never know.. One time you can find a covey that you cannot get close to, maybe all the coveys are that way that day.. The next day you may walk right into a huge covey well hidden in short sage.. It is my favorite hunt.. Big country, big birds, and lots of public land..

If I were traveling a long way to hunt, I think I would bring both a 20 and a 12.. My favorite shot is 5's and maybe early 6's.. Modified is the choke I have in most of my pumps.. Except some old fixed choke guns.. If I were bring only one gun it would be a 12 with some 1 1/8 #6 loads and some 3 1/4- 1 1/4 # 5 loads.. Have fun..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's hot, hopping from water source to source is a good strategy IME. Stock tanks/troughs more so than creeks. Last time I went we did just that and would work out from the water about 1/4 mile and then on to the next one.

Good luck! Sage grouse are about my favorite bird to hunt, I just live far enough away that I don't get to do it often.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
One other thing.. The Basin is about an hour from Casper.. If I were you folks and had any interest in trout fishing, I would put in my gear.. Sometimes the hunt is over is the first minutes of morning, others it takes all day.. Fishing in the Platte should be excellent at that time..

Excellent advise pointer.. One thing I would not for get are binocs.. They have helped me locate hundreds of grouse.. You may see a flash of color and check it out, or spot a few heads sticking up above the sage.. Can't wait.. For some years the season opened in Aug. and went though Sept. I hunted everyday..
Now I shoot 10 or so and quit.. A couple older folks like them for the winter, but they are not my favorite to eat.. To shoot yes.. I will be in tough shape when my older friends are gone and I have no one to give the grouse too..

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Awesome info, fellas! I really appreciate it! Will we contend with snakes in that type of terrain?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
They could be around in that area.. I think most of Wy. except the mts. has rattlesnakes.. Maybe not in great numbers, but they are around.. Others more familiar with the Basin than I could help here.. Most of my hunting in that area is for coyotes in the winter.. But I would count on the chance of snakes in the area..

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.