-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok as of today I am back into bowhunting. I've been considering it for about a year and today I took the plunge, went to the pro shop and came home with a Mission Craze II. Guys at the shop were great to work with and got me completely set up. I haven't shot a bow in over 12 years before today. My last bow was a Jennings Buckmaster Single cam when single cams were starting to be all the rage. They got big because of "timing" issues with dual cam bows. I know I need to paper tune the setup soon but are major timing issues as much of a worry as they once were? Any help is appreciated. I am excited about the Mission and have read tons of reviews and it seems like a winner!!

Last edited by philgood80; 07/21/15.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the factory strings they will be

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
280 can you explain how strings can disrupt timing? What is a good replacement? Zebra? Or something I won't see in shops, cabelas, bass pro, etc?

Thanks!!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Factory strings are massed produced. They are made in facilities that focus on quantity vs quality. Meaning most sets don't get left in the stretchers as long as they need to. Also most don't get served under high enough tension. Stretch and peep rotation are big issues. And as the string stretches it affects timing, DL, DW. The best strings won't be found on shelves in stores. But rather built by custom builders who take pride in their work. Their strings will not stretch. There is no peep rotation or serving seperation. Unfortunately Zebra, Winners Choice, Vapor Trail are all mass produced. And I can't in good conscience reccomend them to anyone. Have seen too many issues with them. I use Hogwire Custom Strings at my shop. They are imo the best in bowstrings. I do work for a lot of guys here on the campfire. I can't afford to have bows coming back over string issues

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by philgood80
Ok as of today I am back into bowhunting. I've been considering it for about a year and today I took the plunge, went to the pro shop and came home with a Mission Craze II. Guys at the shop were great to work with and got me completely set up. I haven't shot a bow in over 12 years before today. My last bow was a Jennings Buckmaster Single cam when single cams were starting to be all the rage. They got big because of "timing" issues with dual cam bows. I know I need to paper tune the setup soon but are major timing issues as much of a worry as they once were? Any help is appreciated. I am excited about the Mission and have read tons of reviews and it seems like a winner!!

Just like riding a bike, 'cept the bike is better. Good for you!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M Craze 2 looks like a great bow. What color and poundage did you go with?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Went with the Lost AT camo. Briefly considered the blaze orange one only because that's the only non camo color that remotely resembles hunting colors, but didn't take long to just go with camo. Couldn't think about using the pink or purple!! Didn't want black riser and camo limbs or vice versa. 28" and 60 lbs. Next year I'll probably go to 70.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used to shoot 70 and 75 lb but the last two compounds i purchased i went with 60 lb max. So far every deer i have killed was a complete pass through . 60 lb is all you will ever need. 280 A HogWire Strings sound like they would be a good upgrade to your bow.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't feel handicapped at all with 60 lbs. Shot great and I could tell a definite speed difference from old bows even at 60! I'll have to consider a Hogwire string in the future! How much we talkin 280?!?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They start at $85. Well worth the price of admission. I am just a dealer. But there are several members here with them on their bows. JJ Hack has a set on his SBXT

Custom Strings/Tuning
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gotcha. Thanks. The guy at the shop will service any bow he sells for peanuts. I'll check to see if be can get one. If not I may have to contact you about one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If he isnt a dealer, it's doubtful. Plus I doubt he can beat my prices

Custom Strings/Tuning
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by philgood80
Gotcha. Thanks. The guy at the shop will service any bow he sells for peanuts. I'll check to see if be can get one. If not I may have to contact you about one.

Phil, I've sent four bows to 280Ack for tuning or new string/cables. Every one has come back as a shooter, and an arrow breaker. The fifth bow is on the way to him this week.

As an archery guy, I suck. But, even I can put 4-5 arrows in a 6 inch circle at 60 yards after he gets done with the tune. In my case, it's not the bow after he's tuned it, it's the Indian pulling the string.

Call it Kool-aid if you want, but the results show at the target end after he is done with his work. My 2 cents...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's a great recommendation for 280! Thanks AH!! I'll have to see what the budget holds in the spring.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I know...pictures or it didn't happen. Tuesday night at 60 yards.

[Linked Image]

Phil, it's worth saving the money for the tune.

If I'd been consistent with my anchor point, this would be tighter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I know...pictures or it didn't happen. Tuesday night at 60 yards.

[Linked Image]

Phil, it's worth saving the money for the tune.

If I'd been consistent with my anchor point, this would be tighter.

Dam you can't even hit a dollar bill , how are going to kill a deer?

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I told you, I suck at archery!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Do you do any work with recurves or strictly bows with training wheels? My local guy for trad gear just retired. Send me a PM with your contact info if you do. I should be set for a while as I bought ten new strings/served. Always need a plan B though.

Last edited by Aught6; 07/24/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Compounds only.

Custom Strings/Tuning
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I was hoping you did both. Good trad guys are hard to find.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 22kHornet, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 1,793 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,604
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.