Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
NBT's,

shoot like a match bullets
Great initial expansion, with 50-60% weight retention.
Inexpensive (well at least the seconds are).
Kill kill like lightning....

What's not to like?

They weren't always like that

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
NBT's,

shoot like a match bullets
Great initial expansion, with 50-60% weight retention.
Inexpensive (well at least the seconds are).
Kill kill like lightning....

What's not to like?

They weren't always like that

I agree with you and ingwe, scary enough in itself... shocked

Early NBT's were way too explosive and got a bad reputation for wounding instead of killing WT's. In our area, some hunting clubs banned them. I guess after chasing deer with gaping wounds you'd begin to feel that way, too.

The newer ones seem OK, they've always been accurate.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
antelope sniper,

The "seconds" are great, but I've also picked up BT's for prices almost as low (especially when shipping is added to second) at the local Wal-Mart. In fact, picked up a few boxes of the 95 6mm's there a few months ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Combined Technology version of their Ballistic Tips are my new favorite hunting bullet. They must be popular as most of the places that would take backorders were out of the 308 168gr's for over a year. They finally started making them again and rest assured I won't be running out of them again anytime soon. I know you think the claims about the coating are largely BS, but I know I can shoot more w/o cleaning with the CT's. The regular version of the 168gr BT were pretty much available all along.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, I don't the think the claims about the coating are BS. It helps, but isn't magic.

Have found I sometimes have to adjust the load slightly when switching from "naked" BT's to BST's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

This may dismay you, but the Ballistic Tip has been Nosler's best-selling bullet, by far, for a long time. My guess (based on some knowledge) is Nosler became a really big bullet company only after BT's were introduced in the 1980's. There were other reasons as well, but the BT (which was also conceived by "Big John" Nosler) was a major factor.

The rifle and ammo business is also helping the company grow. They've already made as many rifles this year as they made all of last year. Luckily, more efficient manufacturing has allowed this growth with not nearly as much growth in the number of employees, so the family can still keep track of everything that's happening.

John yup...I know you're right. Even I buy BT's. They are cheaper than Partitions and shoot good. I like the 7mm 150.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I get speed out of the black bullets that I can't get out of the naked bullets.

Those with ears, let them hear.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
MidwayUSA has several CT's in stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/brand/combined-technology

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by waterrat
If Nosler stops making partitions for my rifles they will be replaced by Swift A-Frames.

Yep, Me, too!

When ahead and registered on their forum so I can let Nosler know.

Ray
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
antelope sniper,

The "seconds" are great, but I've also picked up BT's for prices almost as low (especially when shipping is added to second) at the local Wal-Mart. In fact, picked up a few boxes of the 95 6mm's there a few months ago.

Your Walmart must be way cooler then mine.

I've never seen reloading components in one is this state.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
antelope sniper,

Your Walmart must be way cooler then mine.

I've never seen reloading components in one is this state.

Fountain, Colorado ones actually has a prey decent supply of reloading supplies.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The one in Helena actually has a decent little reloading section.

Some other local stores that aren't known as conventional sporting goods outlets also have small but well-stocked reloading sections. One is a farm/ranch store. Have picked up some good stuff there over the past few years, often components that couldn't be found in conventional sporting goods stores.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, a good portion of Wal-Marts in this area have reloading sections. Funny enough, I've never found them in the more rural Wal-Marts where you would think there were few to other alternatives in the area. I guess the market was just too small in the smaller towns to make it worth their while.

And like John said, sometimes farm/ranch stores have them as well. C-A-L Ranch is chain in that's been spreading through-out the mountain west that often carries reloading supplies, even when other stores are out. Their prices are a bit higher than elsewhere for reloading supplies, but if you need something in a pinch...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Every time I see this thread it startles me a little so up.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So for those touting the Ballistic Tip, What have you seen in the .257" versions? Does one stand out over the others?

I tried the 100s years ago and swore them off for anything but coyotes. I recently picked up some 110gr(?) Accubonds to try but just haven't done it.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You will like the 110's, they work very well....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Partition discontinued... ya right. Maybe certain models but not the partition line.

I have been tempted to try the 7mm 150 NBT from my .280 on elk...My hang-up being its not a partition grin

If the 7mm BT is built like the 338 BT, I see no reasons to not use the 7mm BT on wapiti....

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would not use them in lieu of a Partition for sure. Too much at stake on an elk hunt to wonder about the bullet in a marginal situation.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boomwack
Partition discontinued... ya right. Maybe certain models but not the partition line.

I have been tempted to try the 7mm 150 NBT from my .280 on elk...My hang-up being its not a partition grin

If the 7mm BT is built like the 338 BT, I see no reasons to not use the 7mm BT on wapiti....

Partitions have served me so well that I have that same hang-up. I have noticed that through much of the increased run on reloading supplies, Partitions have been harder to come by than BTs. This has been a protracted run. I wonder why manufacturers haven't been able to adjust.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.