Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Over time I noticed I was buying guns on a whim- "oh, that Taurus Tracker looks good, and I don't have a .41 Magnum" Or, "that is one sharp looking .257 Weatherby, I bet it would make a nice pronghorn rifle". You know the drill. Eventually, it dawned on me that I have a safe full of nice guns, but to what end? I admire most types of firearms, with interests ranging from old levers to AR-15's, Schofield revolvers to Kimber Custom Target II's, and I have developed a love for SxS shotguns.

I do like the pre- '64 Model 70, but at $2000 or so per rifle, it's a bit out of reach of my budget. I do have several Model 94's in various guises, including the one my grandfather carried in a scabbard on the cattle range, and am considering going down the path of Model 94's. I know it can be a dangerous undertaking as it is likely to grow into Model 92's and then into Model 64's, and so on.

My collecting goals are to build something of worth that myself and my heirs can enjoy. I don't harbor any delusions that a collection started in my 50's could ever serve as a retirement fund.

So- to finally get to my question: What do the collectors here recommend? Where would you start? All input and opinions are welcomed.

Thanks!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
3584ELK: My collection of Model 70 Winchesters have ALL appreciated since I originally purchased/invested in them!
I began collecting various types of Winchesters back in 1967'ish.
I did make a conscious decision to sell off most of my Winchester pre-64 lever guns and pre-64 rimfire Winchesters to concentrate more on pre-64 Model 70's - I made this decision about 20 years ago.
I have been happy with that decision.
Visualizing your retiring in 16 years or so I think any QUALITY pre-64 Model 70 Winchester you bought today (or in the near future) would certainly appreciate in value by the time you retire.
There are MANY other reasons to collect old Winchesters just a few of them are: pride of ownership, fun thing to do, a safe investment, agreat and popular hobby and for the appreciation in value.
I don't see the collector interest in pre-64 Winchester Model 70's subsiding any time soon.
IF... I were to be starting out on a venture of gun collecting for fun and for PROFIT today - then I would be VERY tempted to collect only Smith & Wesson revolvers from the 60's, 70's and early 80's!
These guns have been appreciating at a very strong pace over the last few years - and there are LOTS of them lurking around in peoples dresser drawers for the "picking".
Best of luck to you with whichever way you decide to go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't see a problem with anything you have been doing.

Be patient and you can find good deals on pre 64 model 70's for under $1K

A lot of stuff I have that really gained in value were just rifles I saw and liked and were a good deal. I always looked for classic stuff, well built stuff, odd stuff, and stuff I know holds or gains value.

Very hard to predict what will be a hot trend in the future, sometimes you just got to get lucky.

I missed a lot of deals I wish I had bought but also by being very patient I have found some great deals.

Last edited by southwind; 07/22/15.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Whether you choose 70's or 94's stick with all original guns in the highest condition you can afford....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can buy a nice pre64 M70 in a std caliber for well under $2K. I have a 1954 M70 06 on GB right now I'd let go for $1300.

Whatever you choose learn as much as you can about them and buy original and in good condition.

I have several interests ranging from Pre64's to custom rifles (these will never appreciate in value like a good M70 but I like them) to Parker shotguns and recently some English shot guns. You will never lose money on a quality firearm in good original condition.

IC B2

3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks gents! I appreciate the knowledge and input. My fear is buying something and finding out it is not original, or it has peep sight holes where none existed from the factory, etc. I know it is a matter of educating yourself, but the possibilities of a "gotcha" deal seem high. I like the suggestion re: S&W revolvers...I have lusted after a Model 57 for years.

I noticed someone in a different post mentioning refinishing a stock. Doesn't that cripple the collector value?

For instance, I have a Winchester Model 71 Deluxe which has been drilled for a scope mount, so it became something I hunt with rather than preserve. The bluing is around 70% and the stock finish is nearly gone, so much so that the checkering is worn significantly. Still, I leave it alone for fear of "ruining" it.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Your M71 will still have some collector value even with the holes drilled into so refinishing the stock in the correct manner will not in my opinion further detract from its value. You will be preserving the wood from further damage.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I wouldn't refinish the stock....

Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Basically, if you find any old pre 64 Winchester, in any model at 95%-100% and the price is decent, you should probably buy it. If you don't, the next guy will. We would think that collecting in this manor one would accumulate too many guns in a short time, but nice old Winchesters in that condition do not really come up that often. I have passed on a few beautiful ones over the years that I shouldn't have. We learn as we go.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The best piece of advice that I ever received about gun collecting is to buy/read as much literature as you can. Some books can be pricey but they are worth the investment. The knowledge I have utilized from various Winchester/Parker/S&W books has saved me thousands and allowed me to purchase some rare and valuable guns at below market value because I knew something the seller did not. Just my two cents.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
One book to buy is Roger Rule "The Rifleman's Rifle" it has plenty of info on Pre '64 Winchester Model 70's.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
G
Might be shootin' myself right square in the foot here, but buy all the high condition model 70 post 64's up to the early 80's that you can afford.

They are cheap now, but in won't last forever especially in the odd calibers.

How many people were buying pre 64's in the 70's?

How many wished they had?

Everybody knows what is hot, the trick is to figure out what is going to be hot before it is...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
One book to buy is Roger Rule "The Rifleman's Rifle" it has plenty of info on Pre '64 Winchester Model 70's.

That's the best advice right there. Bar none. I'd also be buying a little red book that they call "The Red Book of Winchester values".... These 2 books are "must haves" that every Winchester collector needs to have in the library... Here's one on ebay right now:

Red book

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The pool of buyers is shrinking. Just because these things rode a wave does not mean that will carry on. There is nothing wrong with cash.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
The 4th Edition of 'The Red Book of Winchester Values' will be available in a month or two....

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I keep hearing that, but it does no good if it's not out yet....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by grunchkin
buy all the high condition model 70 post 64's up to the early 80's that you can afford.

Haveta disagree with this. The price of the pre64s started going up in 1964...as soon as folks saw the replacement. I don't think there is any way the post 64s will ever become collectable in the same way the pre64s have. I say this while owning a number of them, they are fine rifles.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Might be shootin' myself right square in the foot here, but buy all the high condition model 70 post 64's up to the early 80's that you can afford.

They are cheap now, but in won't last forever especially in the odd calibers.

How many people were buying pre 64's in the 70's?

How many wished they had?

Everybody knows what is hot, the trick is to figure out what is going to be hot before it is...

Got it all wrong there bud...

BSA MAGA
G
G
Originally Posted by southtexas
buy all the high condition model 70 post 64's up to the early 80's that you can afford.

Haveta disagree with this. The price of the pre64s started going up in 1964...as soon as folks saw the replacement. I don't think there is any way the post 64s will ever become collectable in the same way the pre64s have. I say this while owning a number of them, they are fine rifles.

Didn't say they would ever be as collectable as pre 64's. Just sayin if you buy them now, you won't be sorry later.

Best if you don't buy them, more that I can buy dirt cheap and cash in on 25 years from now, assuming I live that long...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I personally collect what I like....and most are not museum quality by any means. Although I have come across some collector grade guns for shooter grade price...I go in and out of fad you might say..mod 70s to lever guns to revolvers..and almost always when looking for a particular revolver a lever gun on the shelf will start me on another binge...I have a sickness....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

728 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 3,295 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.