Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Over time I noticed I was buying guns on a whim- "oh, that Taurus Tracker looks good, and I don't have a .41 Magnum" Or, "that is one sharp looking .257 Weatherby, I bet it would make a nice pronghorn rifle". You know the drill. Eventually, it dawned on me that I have a safe full of nice guns, but to what end? I admire most types of firearms, with interests ranging from old levers to AR-15's, Schofield revolvers to Kimber Custom Target II's, and I have developed a love for SxS shotguns.

I do like the pre- '64 Model 70, but at $2000 or so per rifle, it's a bit out of reach of my budget. I do have several Model 94's in various guises, including the one my grandfather carried in a scabbard on the cattle range, and am considering going down the path of Model 94's. I know it can be a dangerous undertaking as it is likely to grow into Model 92's and then into Model 64's, and so on.

My collecting goals are to build something of worth that myself and my heirs can enjoy. I don't harbor any delusions that a collection started in my 50's could ever serve as a retirement fund.

So- to finally get to my question: What do the collectors here recommend? Where would you start? All input and opinions are welcomed.

Thanks!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
3584ELK: My collection of Model 70 Winchesters have ALL appreciated since I originally purchased/invested in them!
I began collecting various types of Winchesters back in 1967'ish.
I did make a conscious decision to sell off most of my Winchester pre-64 lever guns and pre-64 rimfire Winchesters to concentrate more on pre-64 Model 70's - I made this decision about 20 years ago.
I have been happy with that decision.
Visualizing your retiring in 16 years or so I think any QUALITY pre-64 Model 70 Winchester you bought today (or in the near future) would certainly appreciate in value by the time you retire.
There are MANY other reasons to collect old Winchesters just a few of them are: pride of ownership, fun thing to do, a safe investment, agreat and popular hobby and for the appreciation in value.
I don't see the collector interest in pre-64 Winchester Model 70's subsiding any time soon.
IF... I were to be starting out on a venture of gun collecting for fun and for PROFIT today - then I would be VERY tempted to collect only Smith & Wesson revolvers from the 60's, 70's and early 80's!
These guns have been appreciating at a very strong pace over the last few years - and there are LOTS of them lurking around in peoples dresser drawers for the "picking".
Best of luck to you with whichever way you decide to go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't see a problem with anything you have been doing.

Be patient and you can find good deals on pre 64 model 70's for under $1K

A lot of stuff I have that really gained in value were just rifles I saw and liked and were a good deal. I always looked for classic stuff, well built stuff, odd stuff, and stuff I know holds or gains value.

Very hard to predict what will be a hot trend in the future, sometimes you just got to get lucky.

I missed a lot of deals I wish I had bought but also by being very patient I have found some great deals.

Last edited by southwind; 07/22/15.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Whether you choose 70's or 94's stick with all original guns in the highest condition you can afford....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can buy a nice pre64 M70 in a std caliber for well under $2K. I have a 1954 M70 06 on GB right now I'd let go for $1300.

Whatever you choose learn as much as you can about them and buy original and in good condition.

I have several interests ranging from Pre64's to custom rifles (these will never appreciate in value like a good M70 but I like them) to Parker shotguns and recently some English shot guns. You will never lose money on a quality firearm in good original condition.

IC B2

3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks gents! I appreciate the knowledge and input. My fear is buying something and finding out it is not original, or it has peep sight holes where none existed from the factory, etc. I know it is a matter of educating yourself, but the possibilities of a "gotcha" deal seem high. I like the suggestion re: S&W revolvers...I have lusted after a Model 57 for years.

I noticed someone in a different post mentioning refinishing a stock. Doesn't that cripple the collector value?

For instance, I have a Winchester Model 71 Deluxe which has been drilled for a scope mount, so it became something I hunt with rather than preserve. The bluing is around 70% and the stock finish is nearly gone, so much so that the checkering is worn significantly. Still, I leave it alone for fear of "ruining" it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Your M71 will still have some collector value even with the holes drilled into so refinishing the stock in the correct manner will not in my opinion further detract from its value. You will be preserving the wood from further damage.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I wouldn't refinish the stock....

Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Basically, if you find any old pre 64 Winchester, in any model at 95%-100% and the price is decent, you should probably buy it. If you don't, the next guy will. We would think that collecting in this manor one would accumulate too many guns in a short time, but nice old Winchesters in that condition do not really come up that often. I have passed on a few beautiful ones over the years that I shouldn't have. We learn as we go.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The best piece of advice that I ever received about gun collecting is to buy/read as much literature as you can. Some books can be pricey but they are worth the investment. The knowledge I have utilized from various Winchester/Parker/S&W books has saved me thousands and allowed me to purchase some rare and valuable guns at below market value because I knew something the seller did not. Just my two cents.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
One book to buy is Roger Rule "The Rifleman's Rifle" it has plenty of info on Pre '64 Winchester Model 70's.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
G
Might be shootin' myself right square in the foot here, but buy all the high condition model 70 post 64's up to the early 80's that you can afford.

They are cheap now, but in won't last forever especially in the odd calibers.

How many people were buying pre 64's in the 70's?

How many wished they had?

Everybody knows what is hot, the trick is to figure out what is going to be hot before it is...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
One book to buy is Roger Rule "The Rifleman's Rifle" it has plenty of info on Pre '64 Winchester Model 70's.

That's the best advice right there. Bar none. I'd also be buying a little red book that they call "The Red Book of Winchester values".... These 2 books are "must haves" that every Winchester collector needs to have in the library... Here's one on ebay right now:

Red book

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The pool of buyers is shrinking. Just because these things rode a wave does not mean that will carry on. There is nothing wrong with cash.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The 4th Edition of 'The Red Book of Winchester Values' will be available in a month or two....

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I keep hearing that, but it does no good if it's not out yet....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by grunchkin
buy all the high condition model 70 post 64's up to the early 80's that you can afford.

Haveta disagree with this. The price of the pre64s started going up in 1964...as soon as folks saw the replacement. I don't think there is any way the post 64s will ever become collectable in the same way the pre64s have. I say this while owning a number of them, they are fine rifles.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Might be shootin' myself right square in the foot here, but buy all the high condition model 70 post 64's up to the early 80's that you can afford.

Everybody knows what is hot, the trick is to figure out what is going to be hot before it is...

Got it all wrong there bud...

BSA MAGA
G
G
Originally Posted by southtexas
buy all the high condition model 70 post 64's up to the early 80's that you can afford.

Haveta disagree with this. The price of the pre64s started going up in 1964...as soon as folks saw the replacement. I don't think there is any way the post 64s will ever become collectable in the same way the pre64s have. I say this while owning a number of them, they are fine rifles.

Didn't say they would ever be as collectable as pre 64's. Just sayin if you buy them now, you won't be sorry later.

Best if you don't buy them, more that I can buy dirt cheap and cash in on 25 years from now, assuming I live that long...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I personally collect what I like....and most are not museum quality by any means. Although I have come across some collector grade guns for shooter grade price...I go in and out of fad you might say..mod 70s to lever guns to revolvers..and almost always when looking for a particular revolver a lever gun on the shelf will start me on another binge...I have a sickness....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by southtexas

Didn't say they would ever be as collectable as pre 64's. Just sayin if you buy them now, you won't be sorry later.

Best if you don't buy them, more that I can buy dirt cheap and cash in on 25 years from now, assuming I live that long...

You might be right......
Just saw a push feed mod 70 beater 06. At cabelas in billings for 750. I bought one very similar condition as a donor several years ago for 200 bucks from a gun shop...

G
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I think they are a good investment. I'm not really hung up on which is a "better" rifle.

And I also think you meant "their" instead of "there"

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by TheOldTree
The pool of buyers is shrinking. Just because these things rode a wave does not mean that will carry on. There is nothing wrong with cash.

Agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with cash....

Winchester lever prices seem to be at all time highs....

Hunter S. Thompson
3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gents, it seems that I need to start studying...now. I know a little bit about a lot of things, but I need to learn a lot about a few things (Winchesters).

I simply cannot believe the prices I sometimes see for rifles that once sold for $54 (Remington 721) for example. I think I bought my first Model 70 (XTR Magnum, post 64 PF in 7mm RM) for $175 in 1978. Anyhow, that is the game- buy low and sell high.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
...For instance, I have a Winchester Model 71 Deluxe which has been drilled for a scope mount, so it became something I hunt with rather than preserve. The bluing is around 70% and the stock finish is nearly gone, so much so that the checkering is worn significantly...

You're buying in too [bleep] a condition to make a valuable collection that will appreciate.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I need to learn a lot about a few things (Winchesters).

The book learning part is the easy part. Only experience gained by handling LOTS of guns will enable you to spot bad guns and there's plenty of them out there...and it takes time to gain that experience along with a good mentor...

The best advice I can give a new collector who wishes to put together a portfolio of original, collectible guns is to only deal with trusted sources. Ignorance, impatience and greed have cost people a lot of $...

Go ahead and restore that 71. It has no collector potential and never will....use it and enjoy it for what it is...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TheOldTree: You may or may not be right in your observation regarding "the pool of Winchester buyers is shrinking"?
But I do know this - the pool of monies those said "buyers" have IS NOT shrinking!
I could cite many recent instances proving my thesis but I won't waste space here and now with that.
My observations and experiences leads me to believe that the demand for high end top quality collectable Winchesters has been, is, and I predict, WILL BE strong for the rest of all of our lifetimes.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle (and other old Winchesters as well!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I think they are a good investment. I'm not really hung up on which is a "better" rifle.

Only time will tell if the post-64s become valuable but I can tell you today, that "there" is correct.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What did a pre64 M70 in say 7mm, 250/3000, 35REm, 300 Savage cost in the 50"s? A couple of hundred dollars each, maybe. Today you won't buy any of them in 90% condition for less than $7K and more for some. I looked at a mint 35Rem for $10K. What will they be in another 20 years? Today a nice high condition 270 FWT will approach $2K. One thing is for certain there not making any more and the high condition guns will become more and more valuable.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Bob nailed it, there is NOTHING that compares to "hands on experience"....

Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can never find that guy with the big money when I sell. I have a hard time asking a too high price when I want to sell. Now, If I had a great retail location like Pawn Stars, maybe that would work. Today's big sales mostly go at auction. Someone just made the comment on the Savage board that the auctioneers take the best profit on those. Most of us have stuff that is not going to make the auction catalog. It has been a long time since I have seen a Winchester for sale, that I would want to buy. They are over priced or have issues, and that is why they are for sale.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Why would I have "meant their instead of there"???? Their is a possessive pronoun. Definitely not what the sentence was implying... "There" is being used in the grammatically correct context there bud... wink . Your poor grammar matches your poor taste in rifles.... laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
grunchkin, if you hang out here long enough on the Winchester forum, you'll understand 2 things.

1. Fellas here view "their" Winchesters as "their" children.

2a. Don't phug ck with BSA when he's been working his balls off.
2b. BSA probably knows WTF he's talking about. smile

Just sayin'.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I bought my first model 70 (1980s) it was a tad more than a weeks pay....little over 200 bucks...
Now that same model 70 won't bring an adverage weeks pay...something to think about....I don't think they are keeping up with inflation...
Rare pre 64 models yes. Lever actions I wonder if there is going to be much interest in the future...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Something that I think are worth buying right now are the RAR rimfires. Every bit as good as the 77/22's, but half the price. The one I bought a few weeks ago was $249.00 out the door. Not a bad deal for a good accurate 22 magnum. These will go up in price. This is inevitable....Not a Winchester, but a hot buy right now...:

[Linked Image]

I've been contemplating buying another...

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I was in my teens, in the 70's a 61 magnum was the cats ass. We sold them off. They have been replaced by a stainless 77 22 mag. Things change.
We used to wade Thru the Shotgun News. Then gun list came along. It was way easier. Gun list was it, until the internet replaced it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Something that I think are worth buying right now are the RAR rimfires. Every bit as good as the 77/22's, but half the price. The one I bought a few weeks ago was $249.00 out the door. Not a bad deal for a good accurate 22 magnum. These will go up in price. This is inevitable....Not a Winchester, but a hot buy right now...:

[Linked Image]

Not disagreeing really but can't imagin a tupaware stock any thing being collectable but if you log at the boatpaddle Ruger who would have guessed..

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think that demographics are really against gun collecting as an investment. There are way too many guns in the hands of guys 70+ years old--their heirs are going to want to liquidate a significant portion of those guns over the next 20 years. I just don't see the next generation of buyers in place to keep those values at their current levels, let alone increase. The next generation does not have the disposable income or the fascination in them.

The 30 and 40 year old guys that I know who are into guns just don't have the same passion for the old walnut and steel. I just don't see that many guys paying many thousands of dollars for a gun they have no particular attachment to, in a chambering they never heard of, and know that they can never shoot it--if they want to retain the value.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Dang, you let the cat out of the bag! This is what I am doing, post 64 70s. Picked up a 99% condition 1966 .30-06 for $375 yesterday. Into the safe it goes!

Last edited by desertoakie; 07/25/15.

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by utah708
I think that demographics are really against gun collecting as an investment. There are way too many guns in the hands of guys 70+ years old--their heirs are going to want to liquidate a significant portion of those guns over the next 20 years. I just don't see the next generation of buyers in place to keep those values at their current levels, let alone increase. The next generation does not have the disposable income or the fascination in them.

The 30 and 40 year old guys that I know who are into guns just don't have the same passion for the old walnut and steel. I just don't see that many guys paying many thousands of dollars for a gun they have no particular attachment to, in a chambering they never heard of, and know that they can never shoot it--if they want to retain the value.

I agree with your assessment. But, it hasn't slowed me down any! grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You may be entirely correct, but even so, I would just as soon have one 77/22 as two RARs'. grin Or, myriad other nice .22's available on the new/used market.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My neighbor showed me a 92 src last year, a pretty nice 38 40. I would say 80%, nice blue on the receiver. He says, I heard this is worth 3000. I was like, yeah maybe, not to me. 1500, maybe. I would like to buy it, but I'm not that excited to own it. Where can I go after I pay 3000? Nowhere.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My two passions in the gun world are Pre64 M70's and Parker
shotguns. They don't have to be a mint SG 35REM or a 20ga A1 Special to be collectable and go up in value. A well maintained std grade 30/06 or a VH 12 will also bring the owner pride of ownership and an appreciating asset.

Only buy what you like or what interests you. The SRC 38-40 may or may not be worth $3K.I'm not a lever guy so it would hold no interest to me and I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it.

At the end of the day everything and anything is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. My goal is to liquidate the collection while I'm still on this side of the dirt.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
"My goal is to liquidate the collection while I'm still on this side of the dirt".

+1

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
About a year ago I started collecting model 52 Winchesters. I now have about 10 of them. I think they are a fun gun to collect as there are so many variations and the first 52 was made in 1920. Win 52's were made up till about 1973 and come in mostly magazine types,but single shots also. I have pre-A,the A,B,C,D,and E types. I was lucky enough to purchase Elmer Keiths 52 match rifle and I also have a "A" single shot,which is a one of a kind.

I probably have a average price of $1200 and all are minty examples. I tend to like the heavy barreled guns. As I get older the rimfire rifles just make a lot of sense to me and they can be purchased without breaking the bank,but nice examples are harder to be found.

Some of the older guns were used by very famous small bore shooters like Art Jackson. I have a 52 that was shot in the 1952 Olympics. There are also custom 52's that have very interesting histories and that's what makes these rifles collectable and fun to collect.

Photo of Elmer Keith's 52

[Linked Image]

Provenance of Elmer's 52 rifle

http://www.scribd.com/doc/262179195...eith-Some-Turkey-Rifles-Past-and-Present

p.s. I also collect Remington 37's,Springfield M1922's,and High Standard 22 target pistols....what's not to like!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by utah708
I think that demographics are really against gun collecting as an investment.

I have guns, guitars, and Gold that are giving me a return of 3% compounded annually.
I have real estate returning 4%.
I have Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon stock that have returned more than 20% compounded annually over the last 21 years.
I have Winchester 70s, 1885s, 1892s, an 1894, an 1873, 1897s, 61s, 69As, 75s, and a 1912.
I like the Winchester Model 61 pump 22s the best.
[Linked Image]
I am 64.
When i was 12 I had a Win 77. The win 61 is what I SHOULD have had.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
TheOldTree: You may or may not be right in your observation regarding "the pool of Winchester buyers is shrinking"?
But I do know this - the pool of monies those said "buyers" have IS NOT shrinking!
I could cite many recent instances proving my thesis but I won't waste space here and now with that.
My observations and experiences leads me to believe that the demand for high end top quality collectable Winchesters has been, is, and I predict, WILL BE strong for the rest of all of our lifetimes.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle (and other old Winchesters as well!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BINGO, Varmint guy, I have watched, read your post for many years, you have hit nail on the head 99.9% of my time!! very best from SW GA, your winchester pal WinPoor, maybe WinBroke fits better! LMAO

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RogerD
About a year ago I started collecting model 52 Winchesters. I now have about 10 of them. I think they are a fun gun to collect as there are so many variations and the first 52 was made in 1920. Win 52's were made up till about 1973 and come in mostly magazine types,but single shots also. I have pre-A,the A,B,C,D,and E types. I was lucky enough to purchase Elmer Keiths 52 match rifle and I also have a "A" single shot,which is a one of a kind.

I probably have a average price of $1200 and all are minty examples. I tend to like the heavy barreled guns. As I get older the rimfire rifles just make a lot of sense to me and they can be purchased without breaking the bank,but nice examples are harder to be found.

Some of the older guns were used by very famous small bore shooters like Art Jackson. I have a 52 that was shot in the 1952 Olympics. There are also custom 52's that have very interesting histories and that's what makes these rifles collectable and fun to collect.

Photo of Elmer Keith's 52

[Linked Image]

Provenance of Elmer's 52 rifle

http://www.scribd.com/doc/262179195...eith-Some-Turkey-Rifles-Past-and-Present

p.s. I also collect Remington 37's,Springfield M1922's,and High Standard 22 target pistols....what's not to like!

Do yourself a favor and find a nice 6" Colt Match Target! I promise you will be HOOKED! v best WinPoor

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had a model M61 22 Mag and let it go when I was just a youngster..dumb. I have a 6 inch Colt match target I paid $900for it a couple of years ago and it's in mint condition. I also have a 6 inch Colt Diamondback that is unfired and I see them on GI for $2500+, I paid once again $900. My favorite 22 is a Kimber Super America, maybe a solid investment maybe not.

90% of my retirement (read TAXABLE) is locked in at a guaranteed 8%. The Winchesters, Parkers and other investment firearms I can use and enjoy while they appreciate in value. IMHO a high condition Winchester in one of the rarer calibers such as a 300 Savage, 35 Rem,7MM or a small bore Parker is money (tax free) the bank.

I read where Polesi wants to tax 401K money for the poor and to give them the lifestyle they so richly deserve even though the people she refers to are illegals. They won't tax my M70!

Last edited by GSPfan; 07/29/15.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My advice as to where to start: don't. We need fewer not more gun collectors, so as to allow those that do have more access to the treasures!! (Kidding of course.)

Every collector does so for different reasons, be it ink wells, Lithuanian postage stamps, or guns. If a guy wants to focus on one make or model of gun (heaven forbid- that would be like going to a buffet and only eating the roast beef) it should be for some driving internal reason, even if it's something you can't put your finger on, and not what a panel of experts advises you to do.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/30/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Surprised no one's jumped on this one. Not a pre-64 but a New Haven, that according to some (Winpoor?), shoot like a house afire.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/Winchester_Model_70_Laredo_Cla#UNREAD

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is not a collectible rifle.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pal

laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal

At a gun show I witnessed some dickering over a gun with $50 price tag. The prospective buyer complained, "It has been reblued. That ruins the collectability."
That puzzled me.
Now you reveal another situation where collectibility comes in quantum states.
That puzzles me.
I guess I started buying Winchesters and it could be called collecting. But I never bought guns because I was collecting per some collecting rules. I saw condition as starting at LNIB and going continuously down hill and botched mods to the state of wallhanger.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey, some people collect Aunt Jemima syrup bottles. What's collectible to one may be junk to another. There are no rules that say to collect Winchesters they must be pre-64 and 100% correct. What usually makes a good collectible is something no one wanted when they were making them, so they didn't make many. Think pre-64 Model 70 in .35 Remington. Or, a Laredo w/BOSS? crazy

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd LOVE to have a pre64 M70 in 35 Rem, one in 250/3000 would be good also:)

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by pal

I guess I started buying Winchesters and it could be called collecting...

As the forum states "Winchester Collectors" and, as the thread states "Collecting Winchesters", it isn't much of a leap to call a gun safe full of used Winchesters "a collection". But some forethought might go into choosing each one.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Education can be real expensive in this business. I know enough to see where this is headed. The trend is your friend.
Anybody need 38 40 ammo?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I'd LOVE to have a pre64 M70 in 35 Rem, one in 250/3000 would be good also:)

I'd love to know where you get 8% guaranteed! smile

Charter Member

szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nothing at all wrong with collecting. I understand it, but much prefer shooting them vs. collecting them.. laugh

If selling the wood stocks for upwards (or more) of $400.00 and replacing them with Mcmillans is a sin, count me in... laugh. To go back and answer the OP's question about where to begin, try small town gunshows. I've had good luck finding some primos at small town gunshows. Get in good with someone who is willing to teach you the ins and outs of collecting Winchesters. One of my mentors is a gunsmith and a "good ol boy" who has collected Winchesters for a long time. Like ball town bob mentioned, hands on experience trumps book knowledge. This is damn true, and in a perfect world you would have someone there who can show you the ropes. If you don't know what you are looking at, you will likely never know, as some subtle changes were made during different era's and it is hard to know this unless you are a gunsmith or similar. This is extremely true when it comes to Winchesters. Little things like how the factory blued parts and pieces is good to know when you are looking at a rifle. A keen eye can spot one that has been "re-done". Some small parts like triggers or bolt shrouds or bottom metal, may look similar, but will have differences that a seasoned collector will point out. Crowns can be altered, bolt faces opened up and chambers may be different than when they came from the factory. Facing the receivers to adapt a different factory barrel to look like an original is something else to look for. This will degrade the value of the firearm, or maybe someone may be trying to pass it off as an original and you will be educated enough to know the difference. Unlike ball town bob, I also believe book knowledge is of huge value when accessing value of these old Winchesters. Some of us don't have the luxury of having a good ol boy gunsmith Winchester collector guru to teach us everything we should know about these fascinating old rifles, so our next best option is to go to the books or forums like this one.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unlike ball town bob, I also believe book knowledge is of huge value when accessing value of these old Winchesters.

Where did I say that? You need to work on your reading comprehension skill....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

So- to finally get to my question: What do the collectors here recommend? Where would you start? All input and opinions are welcomed.

Thanks!

The time to start collecting pre 64 M70's (or any New haven Winchester guns), was..... 1965...which is gone.So in short, I think there are better things to do with your money if you want investment opportunities..

But if a guy wants to start today, he should have a big check book. I would buy with an eye to guns i would actually use but I understand guys get a kick out of buying scarce calibers/models etc....but for me a M70 in (say) 35 Remington would be a safe queen and I hate safe queens.

I personally think the pre 64 market has gone to hell and people are paying stupid money for them. They are my favorites but it'll be a cold day in hell before I part out $5-$10 k for one. I'd rather spend the money on a hunt or a custom.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tmitch
Surprised no one's jumped on this one. Not a pre-64 but a New Haven, that according to some (Winpoor?), shoot like a house afire.

Dog gone you azz! Jeeze , Im in a sell not buy mode right now but unless that gun is shot out and most are not that is a very good BUY!!! LOL the very best WinPoor
Everyone cannot own a pre 64 to hunt, I have had to reach back a time or two to out shoot Rem Sendero guys BUT for my money and the money I took from them shooting, make mine a Winchester!!! vbest winpoor
As a side note, I have 3 Winchester 7STWs , 2 Laredos and a sporting sharpshooter, all 3 are very accurate, 2 are for sale and the BOSS I keep for bad weather LR shooting...vb winbroke

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 08/04/15.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had the good luck to speak with the main man on the BOSS R&D team, this guy shot over 36,000 rounds thru them in a tunnel, Im working from his quote here! The Winchester barrels shot better than the Browning barrels ,he did not tell me why that was the case! He said it was a common thing for a gun to shoot a 1/4 inch 100 yard group. If I remember correct as this was in the early 2000's and he had retired he was using a Leupold 36X scope and factory Winchester ammo... A lot of folk PooPoo the BOSS, Im not one of them, they will blow your eardrums out but Im deaf anyway. I have the solid weights that make em like a regular gun but on the big bores the break weight sure reduces recoil to 243 type feel.I will be the first to admit they look like a dog peter stuck out there but I am all about accurate!!! YMMV very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by balltownbob
Unlike ball town bob, I also believe book knowledge is of huge value when accessing value of these old Winchesters.

Where did I say that? You need to work on your reading comprehension skill....

Originally Posted by balltownbob

The book learning part is the easy part. Only experience gained by handling LOTS of guns will enable you to spot bad guns and there's plenty of them out there...and it takes time to gain that experience along with a good mentor...

When someone says, "the book learning part is the easy part", they are full of chit, reading comprehension difficulties or otherwise. There is so much information listed in the 2 books that I mentioned earlier in this thread, it will make your head spin. Of course, you can probably re-cite Rules book word for word and know the Red book of Winchester values like the back of your hand don't you???

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being a lefty, Winchester and I never played in the same ballpark until around Y2K so I never developed an interest in them until recently. Just taking a guess though, I'd have to say that the vast majority of pre-64's have at least been through the hands of one collector/accumulator if not more. Regardless where you find them, most will carry a "collector" price tag and thus they move from one safe to another.

Call them what you might but given my latent interest in Winchesters, I think that the late New Haven CRF's would be of interest for someone wanting to "start". They're available, they're not outrageously priced and they're not made anymore. More specifically I'd look for lefty's but I'll leave them for someone younger with more passion!

Last edited by Bull_Elk; 08/04/15.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Originally Posted by tmitch

Dog gone you azz!

Hahaha! You welcome! grin

Charter Member

szihn

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I doubt the New Haven guns will ever be collectible. Just because there not made anymore won't drive a "collectible" market. The Japanese Mfg Browning A5's aren't made anymore either and I know of no collectible market for them.

The pre64 M70 is a icon for rifles just as the M12 is for pumps(the Rem 870 while a good gun isn't collectible)and the Belgium Browning A5 is for autoloaders.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My advice is to buy one that you can hunt with and be done with it. There is little future in collecting pre-64 70 Winchesters. Reasons are: possible regulations, fewer people interested in them and fewer people with disposable incomes that will be able to pay outrageous prices for them.

Ok, on the upside it could be worse. You could be contemplating collecting old model 12 field guns. Heavy 2&3/4" (most) without rib and no choke tubes. How is that for hopeless?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek
...There is little future in collecting pre-64 70 Winchesters. Reasons are: possible regulations, fewer people interested in them and fewer people with disposable incomes...

Come on!

Possible future regulations will be even more favorable for these antiques.

As the collectible pre-'64's become fewer, more and more collectors will find them an attractive investment.

Disposable income and investment capital are 2 different things.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bless you and your Momma's heart.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Pretty much all $ assets are in a bubble,so a hiccup is in order...how big? I don't know.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I looked at a mint M70 in 35Rem cost $10K Firm. A 250/3000 also mint cost $7K also firm. Would you make money on them only time would tell. They would still be more fun to have than a mutual fund.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The average guy is not doing all that well in the market right now, but there are those out there that are doing better than well. For the most part, the market only lets the little guy make enough to stay in compared to other options we have available.

Don't doubt for a second that if someone wanted a collectable Winchester, and they were sure it was real, the money is out there. And some don't care if they can turn a profit, they just would want it and for the real deal will write the check. And for some, the whole-meaning the entire collection-is worth more than the sum of the parts.

Last edited by battue; 08/07/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ive been watching hard and buying for about 6 years and I feel like pre 64' 70's are a just tad soft thru the summer, lot of nice ones hitting the market as the old timers see the end coming to there time at the range... I have friends that want a new custom built by Mr CatDaddy, Mr Gradous http://www.gradousrifles.com/index.php
up in N GA. Ive shot them and hot damn! Right up the road in Doerun GA is another riflemaker thats turning out hotshots
http://www.mcwhorterrifles.com/
. Im not sure these guys spending those bucks will ever go pre 64, they sure like to fondle mine. The young crowd that were black gun crazy may come around one day.... Im just happy 600K was all that were built!!! my 2 C winpoor

3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you kindly gentlemen...your advice was needed and will be put to use.

I have decided that I am going to collect Model 71's to begin with.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Ive been watching hard and buying for about 6 years and I feel like pre 64' 70's are a just tad soft thru the summer, lot of nice ones hitting the market as the old timers see the end coming to there time at the range... I have friends that want a new custom built by Mr CatDaddy, Mr Gradous http://www.gradousrifles.com/index.php
up in N GA. Ive shot them and hot damn! Right up the road in Doerun GA is another riflemaker thats turning out hotshots
http://www.mcwhorterrifles.com/
. winpoor

Does EVERYBODY put them in Tupperware??? What ever happened to a beautifully grained piece of walnut, well inletted and with skillfully done checkering? It's likely just me, but it will be a VERY cold day in Hades when I buy a glass-stocked gun.
yooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RogerD
Pretty much all $ assets are in a bubble,so a hiccup is in order...how big? I don't know.

[Linked Image]
I bought more AAPL this week with a 13:1 p/e ratio.
I typically make 3%/yr from gun appreciation and 20% from stocks.
I only own two pre 64 M70s.
The gun I am in love with is Win 61 pump 22.
I got a couple coons this week. One was a running brain shot.
I am looking to buy more of 61s so I can give them to hunting buddies.

G
G
News Flash:

Your wife and your kids and you heirs don't give a damn about your pre-64 Winchesters. Collectors are hoarders so they are never going to be able to part with them while they are still alive. Then the people left behind, who don't care a damn about them, send them to an auction house and pay 20% sales commission on them.

You want to collect guns? Fine. Call it what it is, a hobby or in some cases even an obsession. Don't rationalize it as an investment. You are doing your family a disservice.

You want to do the people you love a favor; leave them liquid assets.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
News Flash:

Your wife and your kids and you heirs don't give a damn about your pre-64 Winchesters. Collectors are hoarders so they are never going to be able to part with them while they are still alive. Then the people left behind, who don't care a damn about them, send them to an auction house and pay 20% sales commission on them.

You want to collect guns? Fine. Call it what it is, a hobby or in some cases even an obsession. Don't rationalize it as an investment. You are doing your family a disservice.

This is the funniest damn thing I've read here in a while. whistle

BSA MAGA
G
G
Hey: I love guns and I collect them too.

But, I don't have any misconceptions about what I'm doing and why I'm doing it....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My parents past away 3 years ago.
I could split the money 4 ways and send a check in the mail.
My mother's jewelry and my father's coin collections were not worth much, but a big pain to deal with because I could not split them evenly.
The guns were not as much trouble. They were not worth much either, but I put a price on each gun and the relatives made them disappear [I got the Winchester].
That is all small stuff compared to getting rid of a house with a basement and garage full of junk.
Getting rid of a house is nothing compared to getting live in care for aging parents. It turns out I am a member of a family with all chiefs and no Indians.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See what I mean? smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

But, I don't have any misconceptions about what I'm doing and why I'm doing it....

You're pretty good at trolling. Carry on though if that's what makes you happy... The guys here will get tired of your chit pretty quickly though... You can always hang out on the hunting rifles forum or optics forum. There's plenty of trolls over there. You'll fit in just fine..

BSA MAGA
G
G

You're pretty good at trolling. Carry on though if that's what makes you happy... The guys here will get tired of your chit pretty quickly though... You can always hang out on the hunting rifles forum or optics forum. There's plenty of trolls over there. You'll fit in just fine..

HA HA.

What?

Really?

You have 21,047 posts. I have 9. That makes you a genius and me a dumb ass?

Or does that make you an internet snob/loser/bully?

So I offered an opinion and didn't go after you or anybody else, but you think you can hurt my feelings by calling me names? I'm just posting and you are name calling. Maybe you are the troll? Ah, but you have all those posts, so you must be smart...

Just to be clear, anybody that doesn't agree with you is a troll?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
10 post either means the fire slow walked you down and you had to change handles or you are new here... either way enjoy
Remember everybody loves a dumbazz ,nobody likes a smart azz!
the winchester collector forum is the nicest one here on the fire. v best winpoor

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The old guys came home from WWII and Korea with a few bucks because largely, there were no places to spend it. One of my younger uncles had enough to pay cash for a Ford.

Others bought a new revolver as soon as they became available. Others bought a new shotgun or rifle. They or their heirs are selling a lot of them off. Many were lightly or never used.

My pre war Model 70 is well used by an old family friend. He sold his in the early 60s when he decided he was too old to hunt. Cousin bought his three M70s. I ended up with the .270.

I recently bought a late forties/early fifties pre model 10 S&W that was hardly used with the only blue wear being a light turn ring on the cylinder.

I bought a Winchester 42 a few years ago that looked as if it had been mostly in a time capsule. Light wear on the magazine tube, otherwise perfect.

Lots of the returning greatest generation, got too busy to hunt for raising kids and building careers. They are out there. Be patient. Heck, I'm rapidly approaching 78. You might buy some of mine in a few years. I do have some nice stuff.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The old guys came home from WWII and Korea with a few bucks because largely, there were no places to spend it. One of my younger uncles had enough to pay cash for a Ford.

Others bought a new revolver as soon as they became available. Others bought a new shotgun or rifle. They or their heirs are selling a lot of them off. Many were lightly or never used.

My pre war Model 70 is well used by an old family friend. He sold his in the early 60s when he decided he was too old to hunt. Cousin bought his three M70s. I ended up with the .270.

I recently bought a late forties/early fifties pre model 10 S&W that was hardly used with the only blue wear being a light turn ring on the cylinder.

I bought a Winchester 42 a few years ago that looked as if it had been mostly in a time capsule. Light wear on the magazine tube, otherwise perfect.

Lots of the returning greatest generation, got too busy to hunt for raising kids and building careers. They are out there. Be patient. Heck, I'm rapidly approaching 78. You might buy some of mine in a few years. I do have some nice stuff.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When we visited the wife's Uncle Cliff's ranch in 1984, he had ~ 100 Win M70s in a walk in vault.

The way he got started collecting M70s was when his brother went to Korea, he left his 222 M70 with Cliff for safe keeping. When I was on the ranch in 84, that 222 was pointed out to me in the easy rider rifle rack in his brother's pick up truck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
News Flash:

Where on God's green earth did you get the idea we were all planning to leave any of them?

I wish to heck I could leave some of my guns to my Dad and uncles now passed.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (35, 01Foreman400, 69sportfury, 2UP, 300jimmy, 17 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,134
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.