Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This probably belongs in the workout thread but I didn't want it to get lost in there.

I've been using curcumin and tart cherry juice to help with an arthritic ankle. Neither one is as good as NSAIDs but they both help.

Any others out there that you've had good results with?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Cortisone injections. wink

Aside from that, I've been taking turmeric and flax oil caps. Can't hurt.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 07/22/15.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've had some of those myself. Do you consider cortisone injections: 1) natural, and 2) a long-term proposition?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My wife just started me on the tart cherry juice. How much do you take and what is curcumin ?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
I've had some of those myself. Do you consider cortisone injections: 1) natural, and 2) a long-term proposition?

(1) No

(2) That is probably inevitable.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There are no naturals. Everything works because there is some kind of medicinal in there. Ex: Red Rice yeast lowers cholesterol because there is statin compound that does the work. Digitalis leaf works because it contains digoxin. Tumeric contain curcumin.

Problem with the naturals is the active ingredient is not consistent, nor are they regulated for consistent potency. Ingrediant concentrations change due to soil it was grown in, where it was grown, etc. There are also side effects with the naturals along with possible adverse interactions with other meds you may be taking.

Regulation of the naturals for consistency is extremely lax or non-existent. There may be a little in there or a lot.

Not saying naturals don't work, however like with other standard medications there are possible adverse events that may occur and they can hurt.

Last edited by battue; 07/22/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Smoke, a few 1000 mg caps of salmon oil is a pretty good antinflammitory and may help prevent several diseases associated with inflammation. Also, consider bromelane.

Id also rec 1400 mg of glucosamine chondroitin twice a day.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
My wife just started me on the tart cherry juice. How much do you take and what is curcumin ?

Like Battue said, it's an extract of Turmeric. Seems to work.

On the cherry juice, 8 oz of twice a day.

Last edited by smokepole; 07/22/15.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
eyeball, thanks. I should have clarified, I've been taking fish oil for a while now, as well as glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM.

I've heard of bromelain but never tried it, I'll have to check that out.

I know the G/C/MSM works because when I don't take it I hurt more. I take fish oil more for the heart but I'm sure it helps too. Also, lots of walnuts and almonds.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
There are no naturals. Everything works because there is some kind of medicinal in there. Ex: Red Rice yeast lowers cholesterol because there is statin compound that does the work. Digitalis leaf works because it contains digoxin. Tumeric contain curcumin.

Problem with the naturals is the active ingredient is not consistent, nor are they regulated for consistent potency. Ingrediant concentrations change due to soil it was grown in, where it was grown, etc. There are also side effects with the naturals along with possible adverse interactions with other meds you may be taking.

Regulation of the naturals for consistency is extremely lax or non-existent. There may be a little in there or a lot.

What do you think you are, a pharmacist or something?

If there are no "naturals" as you say, and everything comes from something else, which plants are ibuprofen and voltaren extracted from?

grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
eyeball, thanks. I should have clarified, I've been taking fish oil for a while now, as well as glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM.

I've heard of bromelain but never tried it, I'll have to check that out.

I know the G/C/MSM works because when I don't take it I hurt more. I take fish oil more for the heart but I'm sure it helps too. Also, lots of walnuts and almonds.

The G/C really help me, and very quickly, when my hands started aching when I hit 55 or so. I'm taking G/MSM right now for general "old man achey legs" and it seems to be working, just not as quickly. I usually just buy whatever combo is on sale when I run out without regard for brand or particular mixture. I gave up on the fishy stuff as I read a number of pieces on it that cast serious doubt on the initial research and evidence that started the fad. I may be missing out on something, but I no longer have walrus breath either.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I only have walrus breath occasionally, when I burp.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The active ingredients in Aspirin comes from a willow tree. Some guy in England looked at it and kept modifying the structures until he arrived at ibuprofen. Sooooo. Well you get it. 😀

Told you, I don't know jack squat about voltaren.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ibuprofen comes from salicylic acid?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bourbon.

1 oz every 15 minutes until pain diminishes. Do not exceed more than 20 doses in a 6 hour period.

Your Welcome. Dr cv540

Last edited by cv540; 07/22/15.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ibuprofen comes from salicylic acid?

Not directly, but they looked at some other carbo-phenyl something acids in ASA and twisted them around until they came up with ibuprofen.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In other words, it's synthetic.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cv540
Bourbon.

That's good for around the house, although I prefer Scotch.

On the trail, not so much.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, but then again so is ASA.

For myself, ASA works the best for short term general pain relief. Motrin comes close. On the prescription side Celebex. Vioxx was spectacular, but is no longer with us. MD friend felt it was the the equivalent of Vicodan.

When it comes to serious general pain relief, none of the so called naturals will match any of the above. wink

Take it to the bank fish breath.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
When it comes to serious general pain relief, none of the so called naturals will match any of the above. wink

Take it to the bank fish breath.

No need to be insulting. Besides, I'm pretty sure that your astute observation on the relative effectiveness of naturals was already made; read it and weep, fart-blossom:

Neither one is as good as NSAIDs but they both help.

And if vioxx was as good as vicodin, you'd still be abusing it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.