Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a bumper crop of peppers this year. Definitely more than I can eat but I don't have a dehumidifier.
Is there a way to dry them in my oven for use down the road.
Mostly Poblamo's and Anahimes if it matters.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 07/22/15.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have done it in an electric oven, top rack, lowest setting on a cooling rack with a drip pan below. Depending on what the lowest oven setting is you may have to crack the door a little to keep the temp from getting too high and charring them.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks

I too have an electric oven. I'll give it a try.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wire rack and sunshine? Cracked oven door and lowest setting? Hair dryer and a cardboard box?

Lots of ways have worked for centuries, don't over think it.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Alton Brown of Food Network dried jerky with some househould air filters holding the meat bungee corded to a box fan.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Wire rack and sunshine? Cracked oven door and lowest setting? Hair dryer and a cardboard box?

Guess I didn't realize that simply asking if it could be done in an oven was overthinking it. Sorry...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My mom has always had good results with dicing them up fresh and putting em in the freezer.
I know that it's not drying them but they are just like using fresh peppers down the road.

I string my cayenne's and just let em dry that way.

Last edited by tndrbstr; 07/23/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is what I do with my bell peppers, except I don't don't dice them. I just seed them and cut in halves or quarters.

Originally Posted by tndrbstr
My mom has always had good results with dicing them up fresh and putting em in the freezer.
I know that it's not drying them but they are just like using fresh peppers down the road.

And this is what I do with my cayenne's and Thai's.

Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I string my cayenne's and just let em dry that way.

Last edited by local_dirt; 07/23/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've not done it myself, but I've had the anaheim's roasted and frozen and found them pretty good. I think the skins were charred on a grill, covered in plastic, and the skins slid off. Then they were frozen. I've frozen jalapenos and serranos whole, then chopped them fine for cooking. Seems to work well. Not sure of the quality, but dried peppers are readily available and cheap at the grocery store.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bucktail
Not sure of the quality, but dried peppers are readily available and cheap at the grocery store.

OK,,,, I'll just throw these away and buy some at the grocery store.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Guess I didn't realize that simply asking if it could be done in an oven was overthinking it. Sorry...

Sorry myself, wasn't attempting to be a smart ass.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Sorry myself, wasn't attempting to be a smart ass.

No harm done.
Doesn't matter anyway. I threw them all away and drove 30mi to the grocery store in town.
Turns out, they're not "readily available" everywhere.

Kidding of course, but they truely aren't available in stores around here per the blanket statement above.

I've got a bunch of em that are almost ready to pick. I'll try a few in the oven and see how it goes.
Might try freezing some too.
Thanks

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
We have frozen chili and jalapeno peppers with good luck. I just wash them and pop them into the freezer bag whole. When I that one, or more, out I just dice them up and into whatever sauce I am making. They are a bit "limp" but work fine in a sauce. FWIW, I also freezer sweet red and green peppers. Just dice and bag them up, works great.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can wash, dice/slice, and put them on a sheet pan in the freezer. When they're all frozen pull them out and put them in a bag. That way you can take out what you want and they aren't one big, frozen block. We do the same with okra, but we bread it before freezing.

Last year I dried all my jalapenos and they all fit in just a couple of empty spice containers. They'll be used up before the end of the summer and I can do it again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did my peppers in the gas oven a couple years back. Worked alright but had to keep a close eye on them, door cracked, and honestly I don't think they got as dry as I would of liked.

If I grew more, I'd be tempted to spread them out on a window screen and set up a fan to blow on them. As hot and dry as it's been, I think it'd work great.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

- Rogue
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My wife (from southern AZ) and I pick up a bushel of Hatch chilis every year.

We have then roasted from our local source. We let them sit, hot, in the plastic bag for a few hours. Then the skin slides right off.

Some of them are frozen whole in freezer bags.

But 2/3 of them are rough chopped, and put into ice cube trays with a splash of water. Freeze, pop out, and keep in freezer bags.

We toss a chili ice cube or two in almost everything we cook all winter long; white chicken chili, red and green chili, eggs, corn bread, hamburger topping, burritos, chicken, beef, cat... you name it. We also toss a handful in a baking dish and cover with cheddar cheese and broil - makes a great topping for steak.

--Duck911

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had my wife pick up some hatch peppers so I could try the neat pork stew recipe that was up on here a few days ago. The store only had one bin of a few so they were not labeled mild or hot. Needless to say, the stew was so hot(spicy) it could have cooked itself. I finally managed about a good half plate full over rice, I could tell that the mix had great flavor but having to cough and gasp for breath and drink water too much didn't let me enjoy it fully. It did clear my sinuses and may have repaired(welded)any other body parts it may have contacted. I am a real fan of Mexican food but it has to be a warm glow thing. I think I will find a substitute pepper for the recipe. Any ideas.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Next time, Mike, try your peppers ahead of time. You can very easily substitute Anaheim, California, or New Mexico green chilies ( they're all pretty much the same ). Adding a few pasila or pablonos also add great flavor with little heat. If it is not hot enough you can add two to how ever many jalapenos it takes to get it where you like it.

Sean
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks, Sean. The last time I had this dish it was made by the Mexican mother of one of my employees. It was so damned good I foundered on it. This time I took a nice big mouthful and it literally put me on my knees. I will never trust another pepper as long as I live and my life felt like it was going to end last night. Since I don't live in a real target rich pepper environment, I will do the picking and choosing from now on. Anaheims may be what I am after and will look for some. Thanks again, Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.