Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There's always a lot of drama on the Campfire, especially when it comes to cartridges. Apparently you can't see any value in the .375 Ruger without insulting the .375 H&H, which is of course as "venerable" as Mom and apple pie, even if it is British in origin.

Same deal with the .17 HMR and .22 Magnum, Leupold and any other scope, pre-'64 Winchester M70 and Remington 700, etc. etc. This seems to be particularly true when somebody has never even tried the newer stuff, yet they still "know" all about it.

Personally, I kinda like having choices.

Well said.....

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There's always a lot of drama on the Campfire, especially when it comes to cartridges. Apparently you can't see any value in the .375 Ruger without insulting the .375 H&H, which is of course as "venerable" as Mom and apple pie, even if it is British in origin.

Same deal with the .17 HMR and .22 Magnum, Leupold and any other scope, pre-'64 Winchester M70 and Remington 700, etc. etc. This seems to be particularly true when somebody has never even tried the newer stuff, yet they still "know" all about it.

Personally, I kinda like having choices.

Based on that I can go into Cabela's on any day and find three or four different 300 Magnum cartridges for sale on the ammo shelves. How's that for choices!
I'm don't think that the 375 Ruger is dying either, John Barsnes

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rattler

do believe some dont understand a niche cartridge.....really dont think Ruger planned on selling a million 375 Rugers....from the looks of things they pretty well knew and nailed what the market share was going to be for the round.....not to mention as John said you can find ammo for it on the shelves in the out of the way places where a 375 rifle makes sense so it really doesnt sound like its dead or stillborn....if you got two braincells to rub together anyway.....not every round is brought out expecting to crack the top 10 or even top 20....companies do understand the term 'niche' even if alot of the public doesnt seem to....

rattler,
Don't ever quote me again!

You do have the personality of a rattle snake.

I have both an Africa plains rifle and a DG stopper, so do know some about these cartridges. You, with maybe 2 brain cells, on the other hand missed both by points. And I have no desire to try to fix your stupid.

If you "think" you have something to say - Then say it, but don't quote me ever again.

Ray
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Ruger LH SS Alaskans in 375 at CDNN. Laminate. Those fall outa' trees all the time. I have no use for a left handed rifle but those are Marlin 3030 prices. I mean cmon'!! It's $600!

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RaySendero
Originally Posted by Kudu11
Is the Ruger 375 dead you ask! - Was it ever alive. - me thinks it was stillborn!

Yep - That's my thinking, too.

Nothing wrong with most of the new cartridges Ruger has developed (or helped with rifles/hand guns) over the years.

Most haven't caught-on.

Off-the-cuff, I can think of only 1 that "HAS", but a long list of "HAS NOTs".

Sorry, but the 375 Ruger is one that "HAS". It's found all over Africa now and is common in Alaska, especially in the rifles designed for that environment. I much prefer the Ruger to the H&H in standard Mauser type actions. To get a 375 H&H to fit a lot of metal has to be removed from the Mausers. The feed ramp and lower locking shoulder suffer, making the actions less rigid and weaker. Not so with 375 Ruger-chambered guns.

Custom gun makers are using standard length actions to chamber guns in the Ruger now.

I love older guns and cartridges. I shoot several short-chambered 16 gauge guns and a lot of old European rounds, but I also recognize excellent new offerings, as do many experienced hunters.

The 375 Ruger will stick around. It's what H&H would have designed, had they brought out their 375 these days. There's no need for the antiquated cordite powder case designs.

(I also love my 375 H&H Mdl 70 and my Sako 375 Wby wink )

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
luv,

I don't have an iron in this fire - Just my opinion. Never saw the niche in the 9.3x62, 9.3x64, 375Whe, 375HH, 375Wby, 375RUM, 378Wby mix. I do see just one of my favorite suppliers offering 375Ruger dies and another offering the cases, so for your sake I hope your right.

Ray
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ray,

I remember well when everyone was saying the 264 was gone for good and there was no use for it, but brass and ammo are still hanging around.

Ever price a pre-64 in 264? wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Ray,

I remember well when everyone was saying the 264 was gone for good and there was no use for it, but brass and ammo are still hanging around.

No - I've never seen a M70 264 in person, But I'd like to. I do have 2 pre WWIIs a 270 and 30/06 carbine. My most haunting miss was passing on a Pre-64 375HH for $400 (still haunts me).

Ray
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Ray,

No - I've never seen a M70 264 in person, But I'd like to. I do have 2 pre WWIIs a 270 and 30/06 carbine. My most haunting miss was passing on a Pre-64 375HH for $400 (still haunts me).

eek eek

$400.00! Say it ain't so!

Condolences sent... frown

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep $400 - And I've had to live with that mistake ever since!

Last edited by RaySendero; 01/12/15.

Ray
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'll throw in my 2 bits (might be all it is worth). I like the idea of the 375 Ruger! Been hunting for more than 50 years, most of those years in SD and states west. Didn't know about the issues regarding the extraction problem other than what others said (did have extraction problem on a 721, replaced the extractor and didn't again). I've had extraction problems with a Mouser 98. I hunt in the cold and wet, didn't know about the trigger rust issue (even old dogs learn new tricks). Admittedly my 338 is in a claw extractor Model 70. I have a 7mm RM in a Ruger 77. I was going to sell the Ruger since it is a red pad version and it hurts when I shoot it with heavy bullets. My other rifles 280 and up have limb-savers or something like limb-savers. Maybe I'll ignore the resale value of the 77 and put a good recoil pad on it also.
Tho I always wanted an 375 H&H, if I get a 375 now, it will probably be the Ruger version. The 375 H&H following will last for quite a while. Us old farts will die and we'll be replaced by younger ones. Judging from the cheaper rifles now being sold, I expect that the cheaper cost on the Ruger version will be a major reason why the Rugers will grow in market %.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep $400 - And I've had to live with that mistake ever since!

Hell you guys are young...I recall walking right past pre 64's chambered for 300 Savage and 35 Remington.....for $350 bucks. sick

And thinking, "Gee...those are odd chamberings". smile

I paid $150 bucks for a NM 22 Hornet. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Well, I am doing my best to keep the .375 Ruger alive; I just bought one of the $600 ones that CDNN has--the LH stainless/laminated stock/20" barrel version. It will end up being my son's, and paired with his .270 Win on a M70 is about everything he needs for big game.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't think it's dead. Last I heard though, it's not feeling well.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
utah I suspect those two will do it!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mossberg announced at SHOT that their Patriot LIne will include the .375 Ruger...

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Bump

Thanks to Ruger for putting the cartridge in a great rifle, their Guide Gun, it's not dead at all for being a 375. Especially here in Alaska where the game is big/dangerous and the cartridge is well supplied here. I completely understand if it's not taking off in places there the biggest stuff are feral hogs and a likely trip to someplace with very big game (Africa) has a rich history in the H&H and lots of reasons to go up to the true big bores.

The Alaskans and African models were pretty good, but the Guide Gun took it from moving across the runway to up in the air. The rifle has buttstock inserts to adjust the length of pull, comes with muzzle device options, great express sights, very handy stainless 20" barrel, controlled feed, stable in the wet weather laminate stock, and in a perfect total weight (8.5-9lbs). Oh, and it's available in right AND left handed actions. For any southpaw looking for rifle/cartridge package better than the 338 WM on a budget, this was a god-send.

If the rifle options for the 375 Ruger were the same as your typical H&H version, we'd never be talking about it. But a cartridge doesn't live or die on it's own merits (or lack thereof). There are a couple 358's, 9.3's and other 375's that can do 99.9% of what the 375 Ruger can do with less powder and recoil. If they were optimized with similar attention and supply from a company like Ruger, they'd be at least as successful. But, now we see at least 4 different companies putting out good rifles chambered in it for well under $1000: Ruger, Howa, Savage, and Mossberg. That's more rifle options to leverage the cartridge, and I predict there'll be a couple more companies putting out factory ammo soon. Perhaps they already are but I don't keep up with that since I handload all I need.

Just some observations from up here.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Factory ammo choices for a .375 H&H-36.

For a .375 Ruger-7.

Source is Midway.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only need one good one.

Even if not a single .375 Ruger ever makes it to the Dark Continent, the good ballistics combined with the solid, affordable, and (in Alaska) very popular Ruger rifles pretty much guarantee the success of this one, even if on a small scale.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I seen Ruger has offered the 375 Ruger in left handed version, not sure if they still do? Seems like a good option for southpaws.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.