Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Been a few threads lately that make me assess levels of "Collector".

#1- Brutally serious collectors whom only want absolutely as close to perfect specimens in the safe, no tolerance for anything less.

#2- One rung down from #1 collector, who will tolerate some cosmetic blemishes, but in original condition, no noticeable field use.

#3- Those who want original condition, but will live with cosmetic blemishes from being used for their design intent, rarity factored in, and will still hunt them with care as that is their intended purpose.

#4- Those who like original grey rats with field use and character, and can tolerate a few minor alterations and will regularly shoot them and hunt em.

I understand the mentality of the #1 collector, am am glad there are a few of them around to insure the future of totally unmolested Savages remain so future generations can see them in all their glory.

The #2 collector is barely distinguishable from #1, but still won't take them out hunting even if the weather and terrain conditions aren't conducive to a flawless outing.

#3 is what I consider myself. EVERYTHING in my safe WILL go out and fill my freezer. I shoot all mine in rotation on a regular basis. I have heard, and said " If only this gun could talk". I understand the need for #1 and #2, but can't help but feel for the #1 people whom have NEVER shot their dream specimens. What the hell good is a pristine Savage 1895, 1899 or 99 that won't shoot for sheit. How do you know if you never put lead down range? Last year I took flak from co-workers for filling my freezer with my 1899-B. They said how can you take a 115 year old sweet gun out to the woods? It filled the freezer, and you know what? I looked as good when it came in as it did when it went out. I guess a #3 could be considered an "acquirrer.

#4 are folks who don't have thick wallets and still appreciate Savage levers for what they are. Dammmm good looking and dammmm fine shootin irons. Won't hesitate to refinish a sadly in need of stock, or reblue etc... to make it look like its former self.

I might be way off base, but I'll bet a pound of bologna a majority of folks on this sight relate to #3 and #4. As previously stated, #1 and #2 have their place, but economic reality's and personal convictions prevent a healthy amount of us from being #1 or #2.

Just my 2 cents. I might ruffle a few feathers, but it won't change my attitude or thoughts as to what I have put in text, but welcome difference of opinion.
Jerry

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sounds about right to me.

I would fall under 3 and/or 4, as well. Although, it would be hard not to shoot a 1 or a 2....... grin

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I have a #4 in my safe now. Its a 99G, made in 1925 and was reblued, refinished with class, and I sent the lever to Canada to a gent that did great old school case hardening. The checkering looks better than any original in my safe, and it shoots absolutely great. Proud to own it, but its far from a "collector" grade, but I love it as if it were an original.
I have a couple in the safe that might pass as a #2 grade, but still hunt/ shoot em. However, I do draw a line at extra holes in em. (my 99T is the only exception, but rarity price reflected that.)

Last edited by oldotter; 07/23/15.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3.5 to 4

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have lots of #2, a few in #3, and only a couple in #4. I really don't care for gray unless there's something special that draws me to the gun. Of the 5 1920's I have, all have been altered in one way or another,,,,,,,,,,,,,but they all make me happy!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I think most are Okay with the grey rat, honest used for its purpose but not abused or added to. In the beginning I looked past grey rats because the collector world seemed to talk poorly about them and then when pictures of collections started showing up seemed to me lots of grey rats became safe rats.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm probably a 4-1/2, just one or two guns above "accumulator"....it's good to finally have a metric for this.

We should require our rank(le) in our public profiles before any comments are allowed to be submitted to this forum!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JeffG
I'm probably a 4-1/2, just one or two guns above "accumulator"....it's good to finally have a metric for this.

We should require our rank(le) in our public profiles before any comments are allowed to be submitted to this forum!

I'd be a number 5.....Accumulator.

If it blows my skirt up, I'll bring it home. Condition and originality be damned.

I think your assessment is spot on.

Last edited by gregintenn; 07/23/15.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
1+ Jerry! If I own it Ill shoot it, and Hunt it! but the few I have now, are all altered in some way! even my grey 1901 engraved B 303, all orinal but for the 1895 butt stock and plate! in the past I had some Dandys that are now owned by Friends, and Collectors on here! Once a Friend took a few of us out to shoot, we had a ball, I belive the cheapest rifle out there that afternoon was a 300 "K" I got to shoot probly one of the few Engraved SRC 1899 30-30 ever made!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to be a #1 or #2 but am closer to a #3. I don't shoot them all...not enough time.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I have lots of #2, a few in #3, and only a couple in #4. I really don't care for gray unless there's something special that draws me to the gun. Of the 5 1920's I have, all have been altered in one way or another,,,,,,,,,,,,,but they all make me happy!!!!!!!!!!!

"But they all make me happy" is the bottom line. No truer words were never spoken.You summed up in one line what I tried to say in multiple paragraphs. Happy hunting to all Savage collectors, regardless of what category you fall into.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have some #1's, but they really piss me off just sitting there waiting to get safe dings. I guess I'm a shooter.

LOL
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
yep, what gregintenn said...certainly don't begrudge #1 or #2...I now own "17" 99's after buying my first 5 years ago and I do my best to keep'm looking good and real clean but I'm hunt'n with everyone of them cause when I'm gone it won't matter to me what happens to them anyway. I guess that makes me a #6 or #7 but man I love to shoot and hunt with all my 99's smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad you guys started throwing all those 1/2's in there. I'm a 2 1/2. There's no way I'm going to shoot some of my 99's. But I do shoot and hunt with some of them. Some of you guys may remember me falling on a really nice DL in 284 and gouging the lever, receiver and stock out elk hunting last Fall. Every now and then a gray rat comes home with me too. I got a first year production gun last Fall that looks really bad. It came from a Sheriff's sale in Sweetwater county years ago. It's still got the name of the criminal it was confiscated from on some brown paper dated 1955 glued to the stock.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I range from a 2 to a 6... Though I'll happily grab 1's for the right price. grin

Prefer the ones with character more than the safe queens, but too many to shoot them all any more.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am definitely a 4 - I can take the guns out hunting or shooting with qualms whatsoever and enjoy it too! Mel Chung

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm probably a 4 as I buy what I want that I can afford and shoot everything that I own. That doesn't change the fact that this is a collector's forum, many of whom are 1s and 2s and if someone shows up with a pigs ear and is trying to pawn it off as a silk purse he's gonna get some flak.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm a 4 and some day I hope to own a couple "1's". I think I got lucky and got one "special gun" with the Malcolm, and I plan on hunting it early this year. I'm gonna try for the "Savage Slam" this year. Four bucks with four cartridges. I don't know if I could own a gun and not shoot it. Maybe not hunt it, but definitely some range time. I'm kinda wanting a rat to make a 270 Titus. I'd really like to find one that Titus built himself. I guess I'm just a hunter and gatherer, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd be somewhere around a 2 1/2. I own a few 99s that I've never shot, but it's not because I have chosen never to shoot them; I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I hunt and shoot the majority of the guns in the safe. I've never been a fan of new in the box rifles and I have actually sold a few guns because they were just too nice to shoot.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Somewhere around a 2 1/2. I really like nice condition and go to great pains to take care of my 99's. Wish I could afford to be a 1. In fact I have a NIB R in 243 that I'm planning on selling because I'm not going to hunt it and it seems a waste (for me) just to have it because it's NIB. crazy

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
783 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,065 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.