Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a neglected mossberg 22 single shot that has seen neglect where the barrel is rusted, but not real pitted. The birch stock has seen better days and the finish is wearing off.

I have $25 into this rifle and it shoots extremely well.

I'm thinking about painting the barrel a low luster black and the stock a military green.

What low cost paints do you recommend for this?

Krylon camo that I used for my duck hunting stuff?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

HD

Last edited by humdinger; 07/13/15.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The nice thing about krylon is that it's easy to do touch-ups. I've used it and am surprised at how it holds up. Prep work is key, remove all wax, grease, oil and don't touch bare metal with your hands before paint. Use a good degreaser, a tack rag and a metal primer.
I just got done refinishing a .22 that had seen it's share of abuse, but I didn't krylon this one. I used Alumahyde II from Brownells for the metal/aluminum parts. As an epoxy paint it's more durable, but it has a much longer cure time.
For filling pits and such I use JB Weld "Kwik Weld" and sand smooth. No priming needed with the Alumahyde.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the krylon natural stone for stocks. Gives you a slightly grippy surface and I like the looks of it.

[Linked Image]

You should be able to find a color you like.

Never painted a barrel, but hard to go wrong with flat black.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would look at Aervoe. It bridges the gap between traditional rattle can and cerakote/duracoat.

Here's link to their colors:

http://aervoe.com/paints_coatings/Military-Vehicle-and-Recreation-Camouflage-Paint.html

http://aervoe.com/paints_coatings/Military-Digital-Pattern-Camo-Paint-1074.html

Brownell's carries it.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-aerosol-paints/camo-paints-prod126.aspx

They should be able to order any color for you. I would tack it onto a bigger order. Shipping is $15.95 due to the aerosol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used the stone paint on the B&C I fitted to a Mauser. I like the texture and color, but it's not the eaiest paint to use. The first can seemed to have a center cone that made it tough to apply evenly. Second can was better. I would definitely suggest at least two cans for your base color as coverage is affected by the texture medium. If you can't find t locally, Amazon has it.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'll second the Aluma Hyde II. I have used it successfully on trigger guards and other small parts, and am thinking about using it on a stainless barrel that had the Cerakote where off.

I have used the Krylon on stocks and one barrel. To me its just too crude for metal work. One tip for using it: if you use it on a stock, make sure to put a clear matte finish over it afterward. This greatly increases the lifespan and reduces the need for touch-ups.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks guys.

Got any tips on how to paint the old school military patterns with the green and dark brown & black amoeba shaped dots. I think the pattern was Vietnam era, but not tiger stripe.

Is there patterns to print out and cut out to make stencils? (got links?)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by humdinger
Thanks guys.

Got any tips on how to paint the old school military patterns with the green and dark brown & black amoeba shaped dots. I think the pattern was Vietnam era, but not tiger stripe.

Not sure on your pattern exaclty, but bulldog stencils are pretty highly regarded if you dont want to make your own.

Check around for what you're after:

http://www.stevensonenterprise.com/bulldogarms/

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For painting wood stocks you might want to consider first spraying it with Dupli-Color truck bed coating in the spray can. It's got great texture and durability, but not too much texture. After spraying I let it set for a week to let the solvents evaporate then spray with Krylon or whatever.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Originally Posted by humdinger
Thanks guys.

Not sure on your pattern exaclty, but bulldog stencils are pretty highly regarded if you dont want to make your own.

Check around for what you're after:

http://www.stevensonenterprise.com/bulldogarms/

Thanks. GAP is the pattern I like.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Alumna Hyde is tough stuff...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
354 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 37 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.