-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In light of recent political discussions and news, I was reminded of something my wife found out about a few weeks ago which lead me to do a little digging. You'd think given the state's fiscal shape they would concern themselves with leaning down. Apparantly the Alaska Legal Service Corporation doesn't think that applies to them and I'm sure it's also related to this:

http://projects.360north.org/alaska-legal-services-corp-receives-hud-fair-housing-grant/

What I heard is they are hiring people to pose as renters so that they can file suits against anyone who is discriminating against renters. So if you have any perspective renters that seem to prefer the company of their own gender and you decide not to rent to them, don't be shocked if you find yourself in a descrimination suit.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yep, and you can no longer refuse HUD. They are supposed to have to meet your written criteria though and they can't if you have income requirements. I have a trashed duplex right now because my wife felt sorry for a single mom. Cops have been there 31 times in the last six months. With very few exceptions, I have found most renters lie and damage property.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Great news. Your property and you can't do as you see fit.

Another nail in the lid.

When Mom is gone, we'll have to rent her house out rather than let it fall apart and its a nice big house.

Guess I"ll have to get with an attorney as to how to write the lease...

Damn shame.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for that info.

We don't discriminate, my wife loves all people, me I hate em all!

jk, but serious about the thanks, forewarned is forearmed

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thinking any lessor/lessee might ought to read their state statutes closely. Both sides have been known to be loose about scruples at times.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are plenty of reasons you can refuse a HUD applicant. Time to closure is a real consideration, for one. If your place is vacant, you want to get it rented as soon as possible. Not wait around for HUD to lollygag through their red tape system. A job is another. Past history of evictions. Non payment of utilities. Credit issues. It's a long and valid list.

rost, you want to start with a tight lease. You also want to get at least 3 mos. up front. That way, the tenants have a stake in keeping the place maintained and paying on time. BTW, it's not 1st, last, and security. It's 1st and security, with security being at least 2 mos. rent. If they have any record of past evictions or credit problems, police records, whatever, you can use them as leverage to collect additional security. ALWAYS collect a non-refundable deposit for each dog or cat, or both. Any withheld information relating to any of the above represents a breach of contract. Another oh by the way, make sure your lease states that all security deposits are automatically forfeited for any eviction, regardless of cause. If you have a pool or hot tub, or fire pit on the property, make them sign a release from liability and hold harmless agreement.

I'm just gettin' started. Protect yourself. It's a business. Do your social work elsewhere.

Last edited by local_dirt; 06/28/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks. This aint' gonna be a business, wish we didn't even have to face this in the future, I don't want anyone else here on our place but with a big house on a slab there really is no other choice.

Selling it and a parcel is even a worse choice.

Will be getting with an attorney to get all this done when the time comes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There are 3 kinds of renters.
1) Those starting out.
2) Those starting over
3) Scum of the earth.

#1 is risky because they have no history
#2 is risky because they have too much history.
#3 Is a catch all for all the rest.

#1 and #2 can easily turn into #3. There are no other kinds.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

Another nail in the lid.

When Mom is gone, we'll have to rent her house out rather than let it fall apart and its a nice big house.

Damn shame.

That lid has been nailed ever since some scumbag(s) came up with the idea of property taxes and zoning.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
There are 3 kinds of renters.
1) Those starting out.
2) Those starting over
3) Scum of the earth.

#1 is risky because they have no history
#2 is risky because they have too much history.
#3 Is a catch all for all the rest.

#1 and #2 can easily turn into #3. There are no other kinds.

Yes there are. At least two.

And I'm keeping them.

But I've had yours...... One of them died on us in the house. AIDS. But it ain't catching thataway...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by local_dirt
There are plenty of reasons you can refuse a HUD applicant. Time to closure is a real consideration, for one. If your place is vacant, you want to get it rented as soon as possible. Not wait around for HUD to lollygag through their red tape system. A job is another. Past history of evictions. Non payment of utilities. Credit issues. It's a long and valid list.

rost, you want to start with a tight lease. You also want to get at least 3 mos. up front. That way, the tenants have a stake in keeping the place maintained and paying on time. BTW, it's not 1st, last, and security. It's 1st and security, with security being at least 2 mos. rent. If they have any record of past evictions or credit problems, police records, whatever, you can use them as leverage to collect additional security. ALWAYS collect a non-refundable deposit for each dog or cat, or both. Any withheld information relating to any of the above represents a breach of contract. Another oh by the way, make sure your lease states that all security deposits are automatically forfeited for any eviction, regardless of cause.

In this state that would be very bad advice. Check to find out what you can do AND what you can't do. Before you do anything. Each state allows different things and doesn't allow other things.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by rost495

Another nail in the lid.

Damn shame.

That lid has been nailed ever since some scumbag(s) came up with the idea of property taxes and zoning.

Agreed. Luckily there is no such thing as zoning where we live. Where I work there is. Folks choose to live there. Ok by me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,905 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,019
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.