Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Don't have the range of experience that you guys do, but a breasted puddle duck cooked rare is as good as it gets for me. Baste with butter, lemon juice, grape juice, and Worcestershire sauce, bake at 450-475 for 10-15 minutes, serve with rice.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I haven't had any Elk Mule Deer or antelope in years but like them in that order.
I Love squirrel ducks doves and whitetail deer.
I love pheasants, and quail.
Never tried possum and never had any coon that was good.
Rabbits are good but close to the bottom. Wild turkey is good. Never had any good geese.
Best game meat I have had were 4 little pigs around 20 pounds each. that kept stepping out as I shot them in the head. I strung them up on my drag rope. Drug them to a cold stream and gutted them and tied them out in the cold water to chill them. I cooked them whole on a smokey charcoal fire and they were among the best things I have ever eaten.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elk
Quail
Dove
Buffalo
Pheasant
Deer Backstraps and Jerky

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just a quick read over this.. I am with Jwall.. We age our mulies at least 7-10 days and our elk 10-14.. I have had one bad mulie killed in the rut.. Several bad elk.. Antelope, we don't age.. They go into jerky or into the freezer for jerky later..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Deer jerky in the dehydrator as I type. Muddy

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like it all some is better than others duck & goose at the bottom of the list .No ground hog as of now ,will have to give that a try.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have an archery 3D shoot at my house once or twice a year with a deep pit BBQ. All of the meat is seasoned with a dry rub - paprika, garlic, salt, pepper and some other spices. Wrapped in foil with most game in turkey bags then wrapped in wet burlap placed on a bed of oak coals at least 12-14 inches deep covered with a metal plate then buried under 3' of dirt overnight served after about 14 hours in the ground. The meat falls off the bone but stays moist in the cooking bags and is always a big hit.

So far we have cooked deer, elk, boar, moose, rocky mtn goat, dall sheep, wild turkey, duck, and domestic pigs, beef and turkeys. The meat is from more than one source and care method but comes out better than good every time. The entertainment value of digging up lunch is tough to beat.

Even the tough old boar came out tasty and fairly tender. Its an old method used by lots of cultures but is only worth doing for a large gathering. Freezing and or canning the leftovers makes for easy meal prep later.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Rupert's pretty much dead on. I don't add fat or bacon to my game burger. Quality olive oil mixed in just before cooking works well.

Define "gamey" flavor.

If one is talking about rutty animals, I've had some experience with that, unfortunately. (Not all animals obey the calendar - and I might have pushed things a time or two...)

If you are talking about the natural variance of game flavors- just don't hunt the things you don't like... I like the different species flavors, and have no desire to eliminate them or camouflage them with marinades.

As for the OP's flavor list, in my opinion, his taste buds are all ef'ed up..... smile.

For example, I'll take quality moose, caribou, white-tail, and mule deer in no particular order over elk any day. YMMV. I like pronghorn done right better than elk, also. Bison is below elk, Musk ox up with the first mentioned.

There isn't anything native to NA better than wild sheep or a young mountain goat, IMO

Last edited by las; 07/23/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
712 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.