Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
No it wasn't wind, dead calm day and my other guns were producing nice round groups.

I was shooting a new to me 6.5 x55 and it was consistently shooting groups 2 inches wide and about half an inch high, using very widely varied loads that have proved very good in my old swede

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Same issue 2 weeks ago!!! every rifle I shot was great except my new one and it was 3-4" groups, horizontal, ended up being the scope. BUT, A trigger job tightened it up some and new mounts/bases, finally swapped scopes and she's shooting fine.

No real one issue with horizontal, could be alot of things or a combinations of little bits here and there.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
No it wasn't wind, dead calm day and my other guns were producing nice round groups.

I was shooting a new to me 6.5 x55 and it was consistently shooting groups 2 inches wide and about half an inch high, using very widely varied loads that have proved very good in my old swede

CastleRock,

Does the horizontal string walk from right to left or left to right?

Or,

Is the pattern random?

If the pattern is random I'd guess scope

If the pattern walks the stalk may be pressing against the side of the barrel.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I agree could be few different things.
If it were me I'd check scope mounts and action screws first.
Since rifle "new to you" you don't know if it always shot like that or something changed.
Next I would try free floating barrel, I have seen where barrel touching stock causes horizontal stringing. When ya fire a shot barrel may move slightly in its channel and "rest" in a different spot on each shot.
Eliminating barrel contact with the stock has made some of my hunting rifles real tack drivers.
Ive also had some with "featherweight" barrels that would not group well over three shots due to barrel heating up. They will put 2-3 almost touching then forth shot on up group widens.
Just my thoughts...Great cartridge..Good luck to you

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the ideas
Barrel is well floated, heaps of clearance , and it is about a Remington sporter or No 3 I guess
The only trend is probably one shot seems a bit further to the left as well as stringing
Edited to add thanks Nick scope mounts I am pretty confident about Leupold PRW

Last edited by Castle_Rock; 07/23/15.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Shodd's comment is the probably the most pertinent.

Does the stringing occur randomly or does the generally rise with each succeeding shot?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Shodd

CastleRock,

Does the horizontal string walk from right to left or left to right?

Or,

Is the pattern random?

If the pattern is random I'd guess scope

If the pattern walks the stalk may be pressing against the side of the barrel.

Shod

I had an un bedded scope base that caused horizontal stringing. Bedded the base and all was good.

Last edited by jwp475; 07/24/15.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Every time I have experienced horizontal string with a rifle, the culprit has almost always been the scope mounts/rings. Make sure everything is seated and all screws tightened to spec. Good luck.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Maybe the barrel is shot out or just no good. Does that cause stringing?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Even a new barrel can strong horizontally if it wasn't correctly stress-relieved. It can also be caused by loose threads in the barrel/action connection.

Or as some people have pointed out, by the mounts. I've also seen it a number of scopes, especially new scopes or those that have been shot a lot. Once ended up several days into an African safari with the .375 H&H that had shot sub-inch groups when checking the zero at the beginning of the safari shooting horizontal groups several inches wide and less than an inch high.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Does the stringing occur randomly or does the generally rise with each succeeding shot?

It is random, my gut feeling is the scope is to blame, but I would have thought if it failed grouping would be even worse

I will change it and try again

I am happy with the scope mounting and the barrel is a fairly new Shilen

Last edited by Castle_Rock; 07/24/15.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Scopes fail in many different ways,I once had a scope that would walk the bullets right about 1/4 moa every shot.Not saying it's the scope but don't discount it.
I find scopes fail quite frequently if you shoot enough.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

It is random, my gut feeling is the scope is to blame, but I would have thought if it failed grouping would be even worse

I will change it and try again

I am happy with the scope mounting and the barrel is a fairly new Shilen

Lock the rifle in a vice, use a culminator to ensure there is no side to side movement as you apply pressure to the scope. If the bases do not fit the receiver perfectly the culminator will show the movement. Even with tight screws movement can occur if a less than optimal fit is achieved with the scope bases.

Last edited by jwp475; 07/26/15.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am guessing automatic spell-check is the reason for "culminator" and "culmination."

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yes, you are correct, I should have proof read. I changed one and missed the second.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the ideas
Barrel is well floated, heaps of clearance , and it is about a Remington sporter or No 3 I guess
The only trend is probably one shot seems a bit further to the left as well as stringing
Edited to add thanks Nick scope mounts I am pretty confident about Leupold PRW

How's it bedded??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sometimes this occurs with a heavy trigger and the direction is determined if you shoot Left Hand or Right Hand

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was shooting a new to me 6.5 x55 . . .

You didn't mention the model of the rifle you were shooting. The only time I ever experienced horizontal stringing
was when I was sighting in a new to me hunting rifle. Each sucessive shot walked horizontally away from the previous impact.

I later found out from the previous owner of the rifle, that this particular model was designed to be lightweight for field carry
and the lighter barrel was extremely heat sensitive - thus causing the string pattern.

Once I sighted it in, barrel cold, I never had a problem using the rifle as intended - at least for the 1st shot.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Had a 300wsm that had a "crooked" crown (cut more to one side of the bore than the other) that would string horizontally in a very random order, no pattern to it. Even shot some nice sub-MOA groups, immediately followed by a 2-3MOA group with very little vertical spread.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
cas..,

Happened to me twice. Both times it was a cracked stock. One split behind the recoil lug the other cracked behind the tang.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (222Sako, 163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.