Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I am getting back into shooting (rimfire) and last few days been perusing my favorite forums to read what folk are shooting for casual bench or steel in centerfire rifles. This is not a question asking for help. But an observation, which maybe totally due to my limited perspective. It does not seem the average grade varmint or sniper rifles perform any better than say Remington 40x from the 1960's.

I been considering CZ Varmint, Savage varmint, Sako, etc or the new Ruger Precision for less traditional platform. None seem to measure up to the old 40x. Granted the 40x cost more back in the day.

I mention the Remington because I watch a shooter fire small one hole groups. group after group, I mean "SMALL" under 1/4 moa. I though, hey I want some of that. He had an old scope that mounted on the rear of the receiver and rear of the barrel. After 60 years with CNC and improvements, I expect medium grade guns should be alot better today than higher grade from 60 years ago. I dont see that.

yes the 40x was a top gun in its day and I am looking a medium guns. yet, I would have expected more. The few guns with accuracy guarantee are 1 moa (some only three shots). I would think 1 moa was a given and the builders would compete with 1/2 or better guarantee.

Look at the Ruger Precision, best super match 6.5 ammo and 3/4 inch groups reported in American rifleman. What is that? I dont need a new gun to do that.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
four, I have friends that were killing woodchucks in the 60's at 1200 yards.. With target model 70's and target scopes of that period..

I think the custom builds like those Scenar Shooter and others have and the new super accurate bullets make such shooting easier.. But guys were doing this long ago..

Molon Labe
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The differences are in accurate range determinations (that you can carry in a pocket), all weather stability of gun/stocks, and durability and reliability of scopes and adjustments.

You mentioned sniper rifles and there is no comparison from 60 years ago to now.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The biggest difference is now most beginners do not want to practice and hone their shooting and wind reading ability.
They just want to write a check and shoot 1/4 inch or smaller groups.

But, I do think as a general rule rifles are now built more accurately than they were 4, 5, or 6 decades ago.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The differences are in accurate range determinations (that you can carry in a pocket), all weather stability of gun/stocks, and durability and reliability of scopes and adjustments.

You mentioned sniper rifles and there is no comparison from 60 years ago to now.

Add to that list better ,more consistent bullets. read few benchrest articles from the 50s and 60s, all benchrest records were set with handmade bullets with very limited availability. Now those bullets are readily available. Scopes are clearer and more precise tracking. Back then it was possible to make an accurate custom rifle, with lots of work and practice. Now you can by a Ruger in a 6.5 creedmore, put an good scope on it and buy a case of factory loads and it will be accurate to way out yonder for cheap. I think on average the accuracy of rifles has been improved. Rimfires ammo has not seen the improvements other rifles have and I believe lots of older rimfire rifles are just as accurate as the current ones.
Although I have shot some .17 mach2"s that are ridiculously accurate when compared to other rimfires.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of rimfires: I once fired a fourteen shot group at 100 yards with my Remington model 34 with Stingers. It measured 7/8". I was told my particular rifle was made in 1934.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Interesting. I particularly like the reminder about the hand made bullets. I do remember reading with amazement about that back when I used to read magazines. I guess that was before Al Gore invented the internet.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. I particularly like the reminder about the hand made bullets. I do remember reading with amazement about that back when I used to read magazines. I guess that was before Al Gore invented the internet.

When I was working up loads for a 7 Weatherby I tried some Nosler 150 Ballistic Tips and some handmade 140 grain hollow point bullets. I could regularly get 1" five shot groups at 100 yards with the BT and 1/2" five groups with the handmade bullets.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
the 2.5-8x32 rifle scope i put on my pre-garcia sako .243 in 1968 was a great scope for its day. it does not even compare to a vx-1 leup, today. How ever my sako .243 rifle from 1967 is as good as any todaynot matter whether you are comparing the model 70 super grade or remington 700 from the custom shop. scopes are way better , rifles no.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better bullets and scopes.

Cheaper rifles, some of which shoot really well, but many of which don't always work so hot.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cant speak for rimfire cartridges/rifles being more accurate in modern times, or production centerfire rifles, but as far as centerfire custom rifles go, everything now is much better...barrels, actions, stocks, bedding, scopes, bullets, powder, cases, on and on.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.