A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

I was just curious smile

Culling? Depredation?

I'm setting up a G43 and I think it may be a sweet enough shooter to try on some small game - squirrels, rabbits.

TIA

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Go for the 34/35s. Then get a 357 sig barrel for the 40 cal model. Or get a Model 40 10 mm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A G20 10mm works well on deer.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
We actually can only use "revolvers" with caliber larger than .357 for deer on private land in Connecticut.

We can use any centerfire handgun on private land for small game, however. A 10mm is a bit much for squirrels, no? HEH-HEH! It would be great on coyotes though. Hmmmm....

The G43 seems to shoot well easily for me. So much so that it may be a really good "kit gun" because it is also so small and handy. That fact that it is a 9mm makes it a bit more useful for self defense than rimfire -> a major plus for me.

Whatever, I may get me a G20 anyways! smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My son had his compact Glock .40 with him last week, when the SW Virginia black bear was trailing him. He did not have to shoot the critter, but he says it was comforting to have the Glock.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a number of Glocks, but the Glock 20 in 10 mm is my hunting Glock

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A G43 would make for a nifty little kit gun.

I just acquired a G19 and it has accounted for three rabbits so far, but it is only a few weeks old after all. I'm still getting used to it because compared to my G20, it is a whole nother animal. I see 9mm as being good for critters up to about the size of a coyote, maybe a little larger with hot loads. I'd never hunt deer with it although it probably could be done under ideal conditions.

The G20 is what I use most. In either 10mm or .40s&w, as well as a .22 conversion. I killed my turkey with it this year using the .40 barrel at about 15 yards. 10mm is great for hunting but don't discount the .40, I've killed enough large hogs with both to have come to the conclusion that it doesn't come in very far behind the 10mm at all. Most animals will never know the difference.

The 10mm's main advantage is it's ability to handle heavy hard cast loads IMO.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
I have a number of Glocks, but the Glock 20 in 10 mm is my hunting Glock

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have shot a few deer and hogs with a Glock 20 10mm. It works well.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Can't out here in the heat of Arizona...they melt! wink

Ken
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hunt

[Linked Image]

Teach

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wrench on
[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Compete

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

again teach..

[Linked Image]

again hunt...

[Linked Image]

The last one was a lasered 63 yards. Popped him in the grape, walked out and lased back to the truck. It was the only thing shot on that particular coyote hunt.

[Linked Image]

A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Oh my! shocked

Hey Mackay,

Do you think most any Glock can do rabbits to 25y if the shooter does their part or do you find that you must find a "select" one or change barrels and upgrade trigger parts?

I really like the idea of the G43 as a kit gun. So much so that I am hoping a rimfire conversion kit comes out for it so that I can put in more trigger time. It deserves such a thing - maybe even with an RDS. I have a buddy that just did that with tall sights for co-witness. The G43 is a really great, easy to shoot package for me. The trigger reach seems to hit the sweet spot to allow really good, controlled pulls - more like a SA's length of pull.

Last edited by alukban; 07/24/15.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Most Glocks are substantially more accurate than some shooters give them credit for. That said, it has been my experience the .40 cal Glocks are the least accurate by a wide margin.

9mm and .45 Glocks are very accurate if you can master the trigger, including follow through.

As an example, years ago when I was a state police firearms instructor, I made a point of doing a 50 yard demo from the roll over prone, and would place all the rounds in the head of a standard B27 silhouette with the issued .45 Glock 21. I could not do that today, accuracy wise, but the gun can.

Ringing the 100 yard plates with my G34 9mm is no problem.

I have only fondled the 43 and have not shot one yet. I cannot comment on their accuracy potential, but if they are similar in accuracy to a 26 or 19, you will have zero problems whacking rabbits/small game well beyond 25 yards.

My partner at work and one of our detective sergeants both just picked up 43s. I will see what they can do the next range day. smile

I like your idea of a 43 as a kit gun. Talk about light and small!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Glock 10mm and my Glock 32 in .357 sig are the two most accurate Glocks I own. Both will shoot 5- shot one inch groups at 25 yards off of a sandbag if I do my part. My Glock 19 and Glock 43 will both do 1.5 " groups.

It would be nice if Glock came out with a .22 LR Kit for the Model 43 with a threaded barrel for a Supressor. I'd be all over that like stink on ShiiTT.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I cannot shoot 1 inch 5 shot groups at 25 yards. Chili has got me beat hands down there!

That said, I like the idea of a rimfire conversion and I bet it is only a matter of time.

A suppressed 43 would be a hoot.

A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I just felt movement, in my pants... shocked

Seriously though, I ran some handloads going about 850 fps from 124 gr JHP's over 3.9 gr of Unique in the G43 this weekend and it shot as soft as a rimfire and I had some clover leafs at 10y standing. I started looking at this little single stack 9 and my hands, scratching my chin, going hmmmmmm...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I was going out to myhuntng lease with a brand new Glock 32 one day and spotted a cotton mouth in the road and stopped to dispatch him (I hate cotton mouths) but when I got out he was too quick and was in the woods before I could shoot him. Just as I was getting in the truck I spotted another one about 20 yards up the road. I figured I would give it a try and hit him in the head. That was the first time I had fired the .357 Sig and to say I was impressed was an understatement.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry a G23 with me while hunting and take game with it if I don't want to waste a rifle round. The last thing I took with it was an armadillo. It is accurate enough but my G17 that I sold and the G30 and G21 I shot were dead on!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"As an example, years ago when I was a state police firearms instructor, I made a point of doing a 50 yard demo from the roll over prone, and would place all the rounds in the head of a standard B27 silhouette with the issued .45 Glock 21. I could not do that today, accuracy wise, but the gun can."

But he can still hit a 3x3' target with his .45 Glock at 780 yards...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The double hole in the bottom is where his .45 bullet intersected one of my earlier .41s...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm waiting for the 40/10mm to come out...that should be a "huntin' machine".

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes. G20 loaded with Federal 185 grain loads. Great hog medicine especially with multiple targets of opportunity.

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What Bob didn't mention is that it took a whole magazine to hit that target.

I ended up aiming into the clouds, as the .45 ACP was dropping like a woman's credit card at a shoe sale!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's still a hell of a shot Mackay. I'd hate to have you shooting at me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That said, it has been my experience the .40 cal Glocks are the least accurate by a wide margin.

interesting statement, what would you attribute that to?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
That said, it has been my experience the .40 cal Glocks are the least accurate by a wide margin.

Ron,

I am really not qualified to give an expert's assessment of why the .40s are generally less accurate, but I can say that the only truly accurate .40s I have seen have all been one off custom 1911/2011 type race guns with hand fitted barrels.

The one exception being a couple of Glock 27 sub compacts that were surprisingly accurate, but in general the G23s and G22s have been mediocre at best in the accuracy department.

Full size .40 M&Ps that I have fired have been absolutely dismal. Again though, the compact M&P .40s have been more accurate on average.

Perhaps it is that the compact barrels are more rigid. I just do not know, but the observations have been very consistent.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

I've noticed the same thing, but don't have an explanation either.

My first Glock was a 23, and it made me swear off Glocks for at least 10 years, until I tried a 21 and saw what I'd been missing. I do like the 9 and 45 Glocks now, but still not a fan of the 40's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
arent most 40's a 9mm barrel profile? kinda like bull barrel versus whispy barrels.....yeah you can get whispy barrels that are accurate but on average more bull barrels are gonna be accurate....which would also explain the smaller guns being more accurate, the shorter barrel would be stiffer al else equal and why the 1911 guns tended to be more accurate(45ACP profile im guessing)

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've never killed anything with a Glock, but I've wandered through the woods menacing deer with them a couple of times. Shots are short where I live and the deer are small, so I think a Glock 17 loaded with a fast 124-grain handload should be fine.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really hunting on purpose, per se, but a buddy of mine killed a black bear this year with his glock 29. He was in refreshing a bait site (he planned on hunting with his bow out of a tree) and a bear came in and started circling him at close range. He shot it with his 29 - he didn't know if he had hit it or not, so he called me and another buddy in to help him search the thick stuff. Sure enough, we found it dead about 50 yards away, one 10mm shot to the shoulder area did the trick.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mackay

What is your go to Glock field holster?

Thanks

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Glock 40 .. that's interesting. Does it use the Glock 20 sized grip or the Glock 29 sized grip?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Glock 40 .. that's interesting. Does it use the Glock 20 sized grip or the Glock 29 sized grip?

They hide that sort of information on the internet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ted Nugent is a huge fan of the 10mm Glock and has harvested several species of animals with it. He finished a wounded cape buffalo of with the 10mm Glock. Not sure about the "armor piercing" round he was talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcTiIfBbJ_c

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Mackay

Thanks

I don't want to put words in my friends mouth, but I do believe from our past conversations, Mack prefers the Milt Sparks 55BN with a straight drop as his range/carry holster. If you look closely at some of his pictures you can make it out.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks. I thought that holster was either a Sparks or a Kramer. Wasn't Mackay's was used for open carry and or field conditions. My Kramers are very secure but sometimes I wonder if under certain circumstances a retention strap should be considered.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RJM
"As an example, years ago when I was a state police firearms instructor, I made a point of doing a 50 yard demo from the roll over prone, and would place all the rounds in the head of a standard B27 silhouette with the issued .45 Glock 21. I could not do that today, accuracy wise, but the gun can."

But he can still hit a 3x3' target with his .45 Glock at 780 yards...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The double hole in the bottom is where his .45 bullet intersected one of my earlier .41s...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm waiting for the 40/10mm to come out...that should be a "huntin' machine".

Bob

That is just great!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alukban

I was just curious smile

Culling? Depredation?

I'm setting up a G43 and I think it may be a sweet enough shooter to try on some small game - squirrels, rabbits.

TIA

I setup a Glock 20 SF 10mm just for the purpose of hunting with it.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rattler
arent most 40's a 9mm barrel profile? kinda like bull barrel versus whispy barrels.....yeah you can get whispy barrels that are accurate but on average more bull barrels are gonna be accurate....which would also explain the smaller guns being more accurate, the shorter barrel would be stiffer al else equal and why the 1911 guns tended to be more accurate(45ACP profile im guessing)

No, .40 S&W Glock barrels are larger diameter than 9mm barrels, cant fit a .40 barrel in a 9mm slide.

The 10mm barrel is the same diameter as the .45, so they're thicker and stiffer, but less accurate in my experience.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/07/15.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by frogman43
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Mackay

Thanks

I don't want to put words in my friends mouth, but I do believe from our past conversations, Mack prefers the Milt Sparks 55BN with a straight drop as his range/carry holster. If you look closely at some of his pictures you can make it out.

Frogman is on the money. The 55BN is my favorite all around holster. Well made and comfortable enough to wear all day. Ive carried it both concealed and exposed for work and play. Outstanding holsters. If I was forced to have just one style holster for all my autos, it would be the 55BN.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
bea175....who makes the rear sight on your gun?

Thanks...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Appreciate your comments.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJM
bea175....who makes the rear sight on your gun?

Thanks...

Bob

Mepro

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 5 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,200
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.