Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm going to touch on this and let you do your own info search...
I have received a phone call with regards to PSA co plete rifles being sold with imported ( Chinese) internals and BCG that are suffering cracks due to improper heat treating.
I won't say from whom or how this info came to me, just that I consider it to be reliable.
I consider him to be reliable and in a position to know.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just did a Google search and the only mentions of bolt carrier issues with PSA are several years old and nothing on PSA using Chinese internals.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Their premium BCG that was on sale for $89 states that it's made in the US on the BCG.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like someone just wants to trash PSA.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
PSA Premium BCG's are made to Mil Spec standards. They are GTG!

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ringworm
I have received a phone call with regards to PSA co plete rifles being sold with imported ( Chinese) internals and BCG that are suffering cracks due to improper heat treating.
I won't say from whom or how this info came to me, just that I consider it to be reliable.
I consider him to be reliable and in a position to know.

Nice grenade launch without having to substantiate anything.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Whatever, I'm from SC and own older PSA stuff...almost went to work for them once.
I have nothing to gain trashing them and I have 100% confidence in the source.
So its your money. But I'll hold back.
They, PSA, are tring to fix the problem but the executive response was to ask my course if the items could be salvaged by heat treating.
Forgive me for attempting to pass along some Intel...
GFY!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So if they have sold BCG with improper heat treating as your first post stated:

1) Where are the reviews online?

2) What good will heat treating bolts already sold and cracked do?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I take it that was supposed to be, "I'm going to touch on this so do not do your own info search."

based on the GFY that you handed out after I did the info search?

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sherp
So if they have sold BCG with improper heat treating as your first post stated:

1) Where are the reviews online?

2) What good will heat treating bolts already sold and cracked do?

This was an internal issue that was brought up among a handful of PSA employees and couple people they came to looking for answers.
#2 it won't fix anything and that's what they were told.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whatever, I'm from SC and own older PSA stuff...almost went to work for them once.
I have nothing to gain trashing them and I have 100% confidence in the source.
So its your money. But I'll hold back.
They, PSA, are tring to fix the problem but the executive response was to ask my course if the items could be salvaged by heat treating.
Forgive me for attempting to pass along some Intel...
GFY!

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I have same info at times, and won't divulge it other than trust me if you want to. I know the data is good but you'd have to trust me.

Worth the info for sure! Appreciate it.

Anyone can get bad stuff. Happens to em all at times. Its how the folks handle the issues that matters most.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a lot more to a BCG than just saying that it's "mil-spec". What about the quality of the spring used for the extractor? What about the quality of the staking for the gas key? Those are things that matter, a lot. Probably more than the steel used in the carrier.

And in my experience of one, PSA sucks balls for extractor springs. Just printing "MPI" in the advertisement doesn't necessarily make it quality.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I run PSA bolts in 2 different guns, probably a combined 3500 rounds. Both bolts good to go. I would have no problems running another one.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by smarquez
I run PSA bolts in 2 different guns, probably a combined 3500 rounds. Both bolts good to go. I would have no problems running another one.

Assuming you didn't just run 3k of ammo today your rifles probably are not CURRENT...as the title of the thread indicates.
Therefore your addition to the conversation is, in a word, irrelevant.
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are these bolts in question going in a certain line of rifles such as the "Freedom" line, or are all their bolts sourced from China?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RW,
I just received my first and only AR. Of course it was/is a PSA Freedom rifle kit.
You can PM if you have any Intel that will help a newbie AR owner.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Straight from the horses mouth:

"Thank you for your responses. Not only do we not use Chinese bolts, but it is our understanding that there is a federal law against importing firearms and their parts from China. This is just another unfounded gun show rumor.
Palmetto State Armory"

-PSA

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Outstanding.
I'm glad my friend of 20 years has decided to lie for no reason.
Enjoy your rifles.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
One company, Wotech Industrial Co., Ltd of Shandong, China took note of the panic buying and and the increased interested in DIY firearms from consumers unable to purchase a gun or unable to afford the guns that were available to purchase. Wotech is advertising 80% forge AR-15 lower receivers for $50 a piece. The company says that is has the ability to supply 3000 tons of AR-15 lowers per year. -

See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...80-ar-15-receivers/#sthash.gFU3NOCh.dpuf

I googled this up in .2 seconds.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Some countries cannot import to the US. IIRC my chinese AK polytech is now illegal to import.

Not sure what applies here.

But just because its Chinese its only cheap if the folks wanting to import them want it cheap. Chinese can make exactly what you want, you just have to pay for it.

The middle man is what makes almost all chinese stuff cheap.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smarquez

Assuming you didn't just run 3k of ammo today your rifles probably are not CURRENT...as the title of the thread indicates.
Therefore your addition to the conversation is, in a word, irrelevant.
[Linked Image]

Now are they trying to heat treat these Chinese bolts they have not sold yet or are they trying to heat treat Chinese bolts they have already sold and they already cracked which is what you stated?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
There's a lot more to a BCG than just saying that it's "mil-spec". What about the quality of the spring used for the extractor? What about the quality of the staking for the gas key? Those are things that matter, a lot. Probably more than the steel used in the carrier.

And in my experience of one, PSA sucks balls for extractor springs. Just printing "MPI" in the advertisement doesn't necessarily make it quality.

The "G" in "BCG" would apply to spring, rings, bolt, extractor, staking, cam pin, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, gas key, cap screws, and so on.

Don't think they print "MPI" in the advertisement concerning the extractor spring.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don't worry, those of us with a brain knew exactly what Blue was saying.

Other countries are prohibited from importing certain parts but there's plenty of small parts being sold from over yonder and I'd imagine bolts would be part of those small parts. Though in fairness, if I was caught selling junk parts, I'd deny it as long as I could too.

There's a reason why I only use quality parts from companies I trust, take this new barrel I have on order made from Reardon steel... smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
Don't worry, those of us with a brain knew exactly what Blue was saying.

Other countries are prohibited from importing certain parts but there's plenty of small parts being sold from over yonder and I'd imagine bolts would be part of those small parts. Though in fairness, if I was caught selling junk parts, I'd deny it as long as I could too.

There's a reason why I only use quality parts from companies I trust, take this new barrel I have on order made from Reardon steel... smile

Lots of ignorant people delight each other in conversations in which none of them have a clue what the other is talking about so of course you would pipe up.

A bolt carrier group is just that. It is not the bolt by itself or the bolt carrier by itself.

The US prohibits many foreign made semi-auto parts thanks to the triumphs of the Bush family in placing gun control laws on the books outside the legislative process.

You have already indicated you don't know the difference between a group of parts and individual parts and wish to chime in with other lack minded individuals to support each other.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Knew I'd have to explain it to you so here goes, the thread is about the bolt and the bolt is what they mark MPI, the extractor and spring is part of this bolt so if one part is junk, like Blue said about the extractor spring, chances are good the rest of the parts are junk too. Though they could still mark it MPI, It, meaning the bolt, which is part of the bolt carrier group, though the bolt is the only part they test and mark but some companies only batch test so not all their marked bolts are really tested and while we're at it, unless they HPT before they MPI, they are waisting their time.

Try and keep up.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Everybody is always looking for a good deal but I just see no point in a race to the bottom when I purchase the thing that holds the cartridge head away from my face and eyes. If you ever see a gun accident then you think some. I saw a guys son that I hunt with tattoo his face with burned/unburned powder when his dad loaded a .270win into a .280 bolt gun, lucky his eye was up close to the scope. Some also wants to light fireworks mortars on their heads, I don't know, but cannot feel sorry for morons. The cheapest BCG I have is a 6.8spc from Stag at $135.00, hope its not a chinese import, so far 40 rounds and it has not let go yet.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not pushing the PSA as a top of the line bolt. Just that this rumor has been circulating and I decided to get PSA's input on it. Whether you like to base your decision on hearsay or information from the manufacturer is up to you. I don't own a PSA bolt and personally prefer Daniel Defense or BCM if I were buying a new one because as Blue said, there is more to it than the steel.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Straight from the horses mouth:

"Thank you for your responses. Not only do we not use Chinese bolts, but it is our understanding that there is a federal law against importing firearms and their parts from China. This is just another unfounded gun show rumor.
Palmetto State Armory"

-PSA

Palmetto State Arms CEO laugh

[Linked Image]

Could this be true? I suppose maybe it's possible but I really have a hard time believing it. I'm going to a gun show this afternoon. I'll try to confirm it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
Knew I'd have to explain it to you so here goes, the thread is about the bolt and the bolt is what they mark MPI, the extractor and spring is part of this bolt so if one part is junk, like Blue said about the extractor spring, chances are good the rest of the parts are junk too. Though they could still mark it MPI, It, meaning the bolt, which is part of the bolt carrier group, though the bolt is the only part they test and mark but some companies only batch test so not all their marked bolts are really tested and while we're at it, unless they HPT before they MPI, they are waisting their time.

Try and keep up.

BCG is bolt carrier group.

Ahh yes, 1 spring failing for what ever reason is evidence of everything being wrong and the whole thing should be scrapped. Car dealers in both of your areas probably dick with your windshield wipers and tire pressure so you will come in for a trade(massive loss on your side) out of pure disgust with the faulty equipment.

Are you sure you need to explain anything to anyone considering that issue and your failed attempt at letting us know what they are doing with time?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Everybody is always looking for a good deal but I just see no point in a race to the bottom when I purchase the thing that holds the cartridge head away from my face and eyes. If you ever see a gun accident then you think some. I saw a guys son that I hunt with tattoo his face with burned/unburned powder when his dad loaded a .270win into a .280 bolt gun, lucky his eye was up close to the scope. Some also wants to light fireworks mortars on their heads, I don't know, but cannot feel sorry for morons. The cheapest BCG I have is a 6.8spc from Stag at $135.00, hope its not a chinese import, so far 40 rounds and it has not let go yet.....

So if one loads a .300 Whisper in to a 5.56 chambered AR then all will be well if the extractor spring is from a campfire approved vendor, but if the extractor spring is from PSA then PSA is 100% at fault?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
your proctologist pull some of your teeth Sherp? You seem a bit testy.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Just to inform the people who doubted my source...
The first installment of 2000 BCG are on the table for re-heat treating.
After they are being shipped to be tested then returned to PSA.
enjoy

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Without proof, I'm calling horse feces.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
....the extractor and spring is part of this bolt so if one part is junk, like Blue said about the extractor spring, chances are good the rest of the parts are junk too.

Blue has his point of view which is probably correct for his uses. But he ain't everybody and his uses aren't the same as everyone else's either.

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe the extractor was set up for rifles? As I just posted in another thread, what is good for a rifle isn't necessarily good for a carbine and vice versa.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PSA generally makes good stuff and I have faith that they will correct problems.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only difference in a rifle and a carbine bolt is the spring and insert and actually the insert is probably the same just colored differently. In fact has anyone seen a blue insert in the past few years?

But anyway the extractor is the part most companies scrimp on.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
PSA generally makes good stuff and I have faith that they will correct problems.

They are correcting it.
But its still a problem that they bought junk in the first place.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

644 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,317
Posts18,449,266
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.