Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Maybe. But where there is one, there is usually more than one. I can't see Savage just throwing old stock out. That makes no sense either. There are plenty oddball 99's out there. It makes for a sound argument, but I still doubt there was an exact stop point. The whole thing is weird, including the OP's letter from Savage, which started all this.
I like 99's and occasionally pick up a beater to mess around with, but am hardly a collector. I will tell you a true story. Before the internet came along, you had to deal with SAAMI on the phone if there was something not in their book. Sometimes they had the information, but it was not printed in the book. I wanted a copy of a chamber drawing for a .22 HiPower to make a reamer. The guy on the other end said "I never heard of that". Then he said "Hello?", because I was speechless and he thought I had hung up. Just because he never heard of it did not make it less real.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Chicopee 250 F barrel with V threads. But you all know that. there are one or two odd ducks around I'm guessing.

LOL
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Anywaaay, the local sports shop called and my rifle is in. I might get over there Saturday. Now I can see if I guessed right or bought a very expensive parts gun.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There are some tang safety post mil-99's with Chicopee barrel addresses. Wonder if they're square thread or V thread? I had one for a short time and figured it was a leftover pre-mil barrel.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
David, there are probably some very early 1960 guns with Chicopee Falls barrels that are square threaded, and others that are V threaded. If the barrel was threaded at Chicopee Falls it would have been square and I bet they would have square threaded a receiver to use it up rather than toss it. If the barrel hadn't been threaded yet, it probably would have been done with V threads. If I recall, we've seen a very few samples of both - Fireball2's barrel is probably one of the latter.

But guns put together to use up leftover parts isn't what we are really talking about... We all know never to say never.

But all new production of barrels at Westfield was V threads as far as anybody has been able to tell. And no rifles made And assembled at Chicopee Falls with 1959 or earlier date codes should have V threads.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since you asked for the opinion of a former Savage employee that worked the line how about you contact John Callahan. He is presently the Savage Historian and the source of all "Factory" letters these days. His contact info is posted in the Misc Good Info thread above. Just admit you made a mistake and move on.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
And I believe he's on a VERY well deserved vacation as we speak.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
This needs to move to it's own thread. Has the makings of becoming epic.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
skidrow, I may have been confused as to the serial number sequence, but make no mistake about this: There are 99's out there that have "V" threads on the barrel under the 1 million mark. I know it disrupts your collecting agendas, but that is the way it is. There is a BIG difference between a collector and some one that can actually work on one. I have seen a lot of unsubstantiated rumors on this forum. Instead of actually trying to get the facts together, the norm seems to be to "Move on". There does seem to be quite a following on this forum that actually likes to shoot their rifles and have an interest in the mechanical aspects.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So you talk about seeing unsubstantiated rumors on this forum while at the same time saying there are premil receivers with V threads....

Epic irony has been reached. grin

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ha, Ha. I was on the way off and noticed the Collectors Assessment post.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes. No proof what so ever and the one million rumor lives on. Two people on this forum have had the barrels from a pre-million time period and one has the receiver it came out of. There are probably more. Even Murray's book (Yes, I have one) constantly uses "(approx.)" liberally throughout the book when dating items. Curiously enough, I just noticed that the change to longer cartridges is mentioned. "a longer magazine carrier was adopted to accommodate the rimless...." Nowhere is making the receiver longer mentioned, a rumor that was on this forum many times.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
Yes. No proof what so ever and the one million rumor lives on. Two people on this forum have had the barrels from a pre-million time period and one has the receiver it came out of. There are probably more. Even Murray's book (Yes, I have one) constantly uses "(approx.)" liberally throughout the book when dating items. Curiously enough, I just noticed that the change to longer cartridges is mentioned. "a longer magazine carrier was adopted to accommodate the rimless...." Nowhere is making the receiver longer mentioned, a rumor that was on this forum many times.

Sorry, the rumor you are promoting that the 243/308/358 was discussed as having longer receivers needs to be verified. Can you provide links to a few of these "many times" that lengthened receivers were talked about?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not going back looking for specific posts, but over the years it's been called a few different things, all rather loosely discussed at times. I myself have asked about the exact nature of the change due to the ambiguity of the early info.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Newer folks occasionally mention longer receivers for the 243/308/358, but the lowly and uninformed collectors here set them right as soon as it's brought up. Kind of like folks wandering in and thinking there were thread changes when the 243/308/358 was introduced. We try to set them right as soon as it's mentioned.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Newer folks occasionally mention longer receivers for the 243/308/358, but the lowly and uninformed collectors here set them right as soon as it's brought up. Kind of like folks wandering in and thinking there were thread changes when the 243/308/358 was introduced. We try to set them right as soon as it's mentioned.

So you acknowledge that they have been called "longer receivers", proving gunplummers point.

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The reference to the receiver being lengthened has been very infrequent and quickly put to rest by a simple explanation of the facts. Or, what Calhoun said.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No.. he did not say longer receivers had been mentioned here, he said longer receivers were "a rumor that was on this forum many times."

Having folks who pop in and mention longer receivers once or twice a year and be corrected immediately doesn't make it a rumor that's being propagated by this site.

You know, this has been kind of fun but it's getting counter productive. Since Gunplummer is brighter than anybody and everybody on here and wants to continue to go his way where A serial numbered rifles were made in the 50's and there are tens of thousands of V threaded premil 243's/308's/358's out there, then God Bless him.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yeah, I have had enough nonsense. As usual, I have not learned a damn thing other than somewhere around a million the serial numbers were reset. I sent a section of receiver out to someone on this forum that was going to get the chemical composition checked where he worked. Never heard anything. I guess that was BS too. There is another classic rumor. "The receivers were not heat treated before the longer cartridges came along or were re-heat treated when the longer cartridges came along". What BS. People that work on guns can not afford to just fly with "It only makes sense" kind of facts.

Last edited by Gunplummer; 07/24/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Night GP. I'm sure that you work on a lot of firearms in your dreams. Take care, have a nice day and thanks for all the fish.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,192
Posts18,465,818
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.