-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I gave up on Redwing pullon boots many years ago. I wear Danner lace ups and ARIAT pull ons.

Made in China....... but they are made well. They are the only ones I've found that don't just keep on stretching out of shape.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

L
Lawdwaz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You can't get any American made shoes with glued-on soles. The EPA outlawed the only glue strong enough to hold. Only sewn or nailed on soles can be made here.
I got that from a Danner rep when they went off shore with many of their boots.

I don't know how many pairs of (higher end) New Balance shoes and sneakers I've bought since I was diagnosed with degenerative osteoarthritis in my right toe/foot junction. With the orthotics on-board they have been great EXCEPT for the damned soles constantly coming unglued.

I've been gluing them here and there all the time but then the glue I use fails........flopping soles can be a real hazard when driving or walking.

Thank you EPA..............

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 07/24/15.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wear their Irish Setters for bird hunting. Had to put in a special sole liner to make them comfortable on long days,
I like them.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ariats here

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Back when I worked as a Park Ranger, I was assigned to the department Maintenance Section, doing everything from metal fabrication to constructing pipelines, heavy equipment repair and logging operations. I wore White's Boots after wearing Redwings for years.

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php/index.php.

My favorite was the Smoke Jumper model with 10" uppers. I also wore custom orthotics made from casts of my feet for many years. They fit inside the boots quite nicely. Later I was promoted to a supervisory position and still went with the Whites Boots, as ordered direct from White's they were fitted from measurements of my feet. Down side is the are expensive, although my uniform allowance reimbursed me. Here is a list of ready-made White's:

White's Boots at Amazon

Upside is that they are completely rebuildable; I still have a pair from 1980 and another from 1986 that were rebuilt. The 1986 pair was rebuilt in the late 1990's and are still used on occasion, although I retired in 2005. Using two pairs allows one to rest and dry while the other is being worn, especially important when they get wet or sweated up. They are not for everyone, as the Arch Ease support is best for people with high arches, flat footed people may find them uncomfortable until they are broken in.

P.S. The soles and heels are sewn, screwed and nailed on, I never had anything come loose in 30 years of wearing them.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 07/24/15.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Thoughts on Red Wing Shoes these days??

I'm thinking of something like these-

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/88875-red-wing-shoes/88875-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

I'm having a hell of a time finding something comfortable lately. I wear prescription orthotics in my shoes so that complicates things.

Thoughts on the USA made Red Wings in general?

I wore that same boot for over 40 years working as a carpenter. Loved em!!!!
I still wear their Pecos boots (same sole but a wellington style).
Not sure how they work with "orthotics" though. Hell,,, I'm not even sure what "orthotics" is:) You'd have to try some on and see.

As far as current quality goes,,,, just like several other good boot manufacturers,,,, stay away from their glued together chinaland stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I gave up on Redwing pullon boots many years ago. I wear Danner lace ups and ARIAT pull ons.

Made in China....... but they are made well. They are the only ones I've found that don't just keep on stretching out of shape.

For what It's worth, Brooks Brothers now stocks Red Wing boots in place of the very similar Alden 405, the boots known as the "Indy boot" worn by Harrison Ford in the Indiana Jones series.

I have a pair of Indys that I wear in all kinds of situations. I would not hesitate to use the Red Wings in their place, although I really like the oil-resistant soles on the Indys.

Danner was bought by LaCrosse, and the combined company since 2012 is owned by ABC-Mart, Japan's biggest sports shoe retailer that also owns White's Boots,Inc. through LaCrosse.

ABC-Mart started out about 20 years ago in the America-mura section of Osaka, an area of war surplus and similar stores for adolescents. Its owner is now one of the richest men in Japan and I happen to know through mutual friends that he got most of it through his real estate deals.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Back when I worked as a Park Ranger, I was assigned to the department Maintenance Section, doing everything from metal fabrication to constructing pipelines, heavy equipment repair and logging operations. I wore White's Boots after wearing Redwings for years.

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php/index.php.

My favorite was the Smoke Jumper model with 10" uppers. I also wore custom orthotics made from casts of my feet for many years. They fit inside the boots quite nicely. Later I was promoted to a supervisory position and still went with the Whites Boots, as ordered direct from White's they were fitted from measurements of my feet. Down side is the are expensive, although my uniform allowance reimbursed me. Here is a list of ready-made White's:

White's Boots at Amazon

Upside is that they are completely rebuildable; I still have a pair from 1980 and another from 1986 that were rebuilt. The 1986 pair was rebuilt in the late 1990's and are still used on occasion, although I retired in 2005. Using two pairs allows one to rest and dry while the other is being worn, especially important when they get wet or sweated up. They are not for everyone, as the Arch Ease support is best for people with high arches, flat footed people may find them uncomfortable until they are broken in.

P.S. The soles and heels are sewn, screwed and nailed on, I never had anything come loose in 30 years of wearing them.

Nicks are everything whites are and a little bit more quality. Either will do fine. I'm still stomping in my nicks packers from 1999 and just had whites rebuild my buffaloes that my dad bought me with the last child support check he ever paid when I was 18....I'm 40 now.

Quality leather is worth it.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I bought some Irish Setter's in kangaroo, a few years ago. I liked them a lot and they were comfortable and did not require any break-in, to speak of. However, the lugged sole wore down quickly and in a year it was smooth with a hole started. Those were $180+ chukas, and I would have liked to get a bit more use out of them. I still have them around and have thought about getting them re-soled but they were just a bit snug and re-soling often makes them tighter, so I doubt I'll pay the bucks to get some used shoes that hurt my feet.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You have to watch Redwing. Some of their boots are made in over seas.

I started wearing Redwing 26 years ago. I loved the Irish setters.

Now I wear the Pecos, They are still made in the USA.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I won't have anything but!

I put 40-70hrs a week on mine.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I got that plantar footy-itus, or what ever u call it, the deal where your feet feel like they have been tenderized with a 2 lb hammer until the heel bones weep bone fluid.

Anyways, I recently grabbed a pair similar to the op's model.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/10875-red-wing-shoes/10875-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

I wear them every day, I don't sit down much. I'm on my feet on concrete for 8 to 14 hrs a day. These have helped me some. They come with no insole at all, hard slick leather bottom. But the boot leather I think is very nice, soft. They warned me of "break in" at the red wing store. They have obviously never broken in a pair of danners. I consider these to have little to no break in.

So far the best I have been able to do is to drop in a pair of the danner hard white plastic orthotics, borrowed from a pair of danners I have.

I need to improve on that as my feet still aren't doing great. I have heard about some insoles from sweet feet or something like that which I may try soon, if I can find them.

The Dr scholes plantar orthotics are no good for me, they feel like your sock slid down and wadded up in a pile between your heel and toes.

Last edited by northern_dave; 07/25/15.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 338rcm, 31 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,338
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.