Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The dry paper is brutal. I did that a few times, then I taped it into large bundles and put them in trash bags and soaked them overnight. I took them out of the water a few hours prior to shooting and also used some dry print to stop anything that made it through the wet print. I also had ~2" of particle board at the front. The recovered bullets looked exactly like bullets recovered from game. One bullet, the SST, turned to powder in the dry tests, but did quite well once damp. The LRAB might react similarly.

GB1

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am using hard cover books at least one inch thick and stacked tightly end to end.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any mono's in the mix?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
prm,

Heavy bone is also "brutal" to some big game bullets. I have seen a few reduced to tiny fragments that were very close to powder when they hit the big shoulder joint of game larger than deer.

For years many bullet companies used wet paper to test hunting bullets because the bullets turned into such nice, pretty mushrooms--just as almost any bullet will when placed behind the shoulder in the ribs. But dry paper provides a much more realistic look at what can happen to a bullet that hits heavy bone. And on BIG game that's what we're really interested in.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35

Scenar 180 HPBT.....9.0" penetration. Same as the Nosler Partition. It flattened out to 1.6" and 75 grains.

1.6 inches? Typo?

IC B2

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
1.6 inches? Typo?

No, I measure the complete width of the bullet, exactly how I pull it out of the print. It was sideways, and these bullets are hot!

Again, I am more than happy to text pics of the bullets to anyone who wants to PM me a number to text/pic to.

Any mono's in the mix?

If I can get some I will test them. Also,

I also need to hit more garage sales to get more books to shoot. I usually get 3 shots into a book then its done.

Bob

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have some old original Barnes X bullets that you can have if you want them. They are REAL long.

The Sierra results are interesting. They must have upped their game a bit. Any Sierra that I ever used shot very well and performed poorly.

Last edited by sbhooper; 07/18/15.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
pm sent.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
Kodiak Bullets by Alaska Bullet works perform very close to the Bitterroot. Tapered and bonded gilded metal jackets but seems to have a higher copper content than most. Very similar to the Woodleigh in performance too.

And good luck getting them to group if you can get them to group around and inch, better call it a day. But from what I heard and read they are a very tough bullet that hold together very well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When most think of the Sierra bullet thin jackets, lung shots, and try not to hit bone usually comes to mind.

The 175 7MM Sierra Gameking however is a bit of a unique beast with a Double Tapered jacket and special alloy core designed to ensure deep penetration and to perform at 7 MM magnum velocities.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 07/21/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll gladly mail some Barnes bullets (120 and 140 TSX/TTSX) and 150 ABLR for you to test if you'd like.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SU35
All the bullets were loaded with 70.0 grains of Retumbo for an average mv of 2,950 to 2,970.

Hornaday 175 round nose.... 8.5" completely shattered bullet.

Drop that MV down to 2,400-2,500. Would you get better penetration?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I killed a lot of game with the Sierra 160 gr spitzer boat tail before I knew that they wouldn't work shocked

lefty C

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hornaday 175 round nose.... 8.5" completely shattered bullet.

Drop that MV down to 2,400-2,500. Would you get better penetration?

That is a good question, I'll let you know. It did cause a pretty massive hole.

I'm going to do a 120 grain test next.

I have,

Barnes 120 TTSX
Sierra 120 Pro Hunter
Nosler 120 Solid Base
Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip

If anyone wants another particular brand or style in this weight you can send me a couple. PM me.......

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
prm,

Heavy bone is also "brutal" to some big game bullets. I have seen a few reduced to tiny fragments that were very close to powder when they hit the big shoulder joint of game larger than deer.

For years many bullet companies used wet paper to test hunting bullets because the bullets turned into such nice, pretty mushrooms--just as almost any bullet will when placed behind the shoulder in the ribs. But dry paper provides a much more realistic look at what can happen to a bullet that hits heavy bone. And on BIG game that's what we're really interested in.

Just saw this. I agree, I think the particle board and then wet print (though not too wet) replicates a rib, heart/lung shot. I would like to find something easy to test with that replicates about 2-3" of bone prior to the wet print.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good stuff here on the 7mm heavies, particularly on the 7mm 175 GK.... It's been around for a while and you just don't hear much about it, just gets overlooked I believe.

My 'clay bank' test yielded different results @2900 with the sierra GK. Not blowing there cores so much, just expanding all the way down into the taper of the boat tail to a flat lead coated jacket.

The 7mm 175 NP opened up, folded back and dug in 6-7 inches.

The 7mm 175 GK made it at most 2 inches but with a noticeable larger creator upon impact... Even found one of the GK's just laying in the creator it made.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
dennisinaz

Not really, it's called animals.

Normally one wants to do a good job with his hunting bullet on the first shot. About forty years ago I switched to Nosler 175 partitions because a Hornady 175 grainer fragmented on a blacktail deer shoulder blade. The deer turned and I shot it in the tail. Even that bullet fragmented. I was using a 7 Rem Mag. That was before I started testing on media. Now I use either sawdust or water filled one gallon milk jugs. This way no animals are wounded or require three shots to finish the job.

I had a 175 gr Hornady Spire point tumble and break up on a 150 pound Whitetail from a 7x57. From my 7MM RM I had another come apart on a behind the shoulder hit on a 7x7 Bull Elk. I had to shoot the Elk again to keep it from getting into a deep ravine, this bullet was not found but it did not exit. This shot was at 90 yards and was going as fast as R22 could push it from a 24 inch barrel. This was one Hornady bullet I won't be buying any more of.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here’s a 175 Bitterroot from my Mashburn.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a recovered BBC from an elk.

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Id be interested in hearing what Mule_Deer has to say about sierras, but it's my understanding that using heavy for caliber sierras work just fine. I have very little experience with them on game so take it for what it's worth

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have shot elk with the 175 Partition and 175 Hornady and both did their jobs. I settled on the 160 Partition at 3000 fps and never looked back. I don't think they give up anything to the 175s from any maker-except the all-coppers. It is interesting to see these tests and it does give a pretty fair idea of what a bullet will do, but there are still lots of variables in the field. If you read long enough you can find a "failure" from any type of bullet.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

308 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 30 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,607
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.