24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone ever hunt deer during the first week of November in the Adirondack mountains?

Looks like my elk trip isn't going to happen so I'm looking for options. I hunted the 'Dacks back in the 1980's for bear but never hunted for deer. I had a couple of friends do it back in the mid 1980's and they went 3 for 3 on nice bucks.

Any tips or advice freely accepted.

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hunted the Weaverton Riparious area in the mid '70's, big country with the chance for a big buck but they're not there in great numbers. Perhaps others will report in regarding more recent experience in areas that are more productive.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You won't have a problem finding a place to hunt or getting bothered by other hunters. The most effective strategy used by those in the know who hunt the Dax, is to pray for fresh tracking snow and burn some shoe leather. Look for some written material from the Benoits or the Horn Hunters from the Glens Falls, NY area and good luck!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have hunted the Dacks for thirty five+ years.We usually go Veterans day week.Dont expect to see many deer,if any.That said,I have experienced some of my most enjoyable hunts in the Big Woods!As shawlerbrook said,plan on putting on alot of miles on foot,find pockets of deer,and hunt daylight until dark in all weather ,every day.Good luck,I think that you will enjoy the type of hunting that the Adirondacks offers.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. The older I get, the more I like the wild areas - less people, quiet, big bucks. I dig it all. I hunt several areas like this in east Tennessee. Killed a dandy 8pt 2 years ago here in TN hunting a remote area.

Of those that have hunted there, where did you find bucks? I'm assuming they aren't that much different than big bucks in the wilder areas of PA - thick areas, adjacent to a food source, cruising for does in early November. Also read some internet gospel that grunting and rattling work in the remote areas.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Find the does and the bucks wont be far away.

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Keep driving and try Ontario DIY.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by a12

Please educate me. I was under the impression that nonresident aliens had to hire a guide to hunt in Canada. Does that vary from Provence to Provence?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by a12

Please educate me. I was under the impression that nonresident aliens had to hire a guide to hunt in Canada. Does that vary from Provence to Provence?

KC

I don't think you need a guide in Ontario for at least deer hunting.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have lived and hunted in the Adirondacks all my life. If you can kill a Buck here you can hunt anywhere. That saying you won't see alot of bucks but I saw 6 last season.and yes I got one. I agree about veterans day If you can come later its better. I usually take vacation the last two weeks of season. I would suggest area 5G for seeing more deer or 5 H for big country and big deer but not so many. You can PM me and I'll help you out I know the eastern/central side pretty well. Bruce

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
KC, in Ontario, you need to go a bit further north. The Rainy River unit requires a guide. Further north like Kenora you dont. BruceBruce, if you saw 6 bucks you did better than almost everyone. My uncle in Utica has 300 ac. to hunt there and never does. He is asked by his friend that owns the land and a cabin . I am sure Canada is better , they log a lot more but have wolves too. Funny, I almost grew up in Utica.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I own some land in the Catskills with some partners, in my early years I thought it would be a great idea to hunt the Dacs since we already had the license. We hunted opening day weekend (3rd weekend in October I think) in Hamilton County, East Canada Lakes Region and Louey and Long Lake areas, for years and no one ever saw a deer or bear! We saw tracks, rubs and scrapes but never a deer! One opening day when it was raining sideways we were in a bar having lunch and a guy came in with a small racked 8 pointer that weighted 170 lbs., only buck I ever saw taken. Tough hunting up there, like Maine I guess. We stopped hunting up there when NY started charging $50 for a bear tag instead of including it with the NR license. If you kill a deer up there you really earned it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We get our eyeballs on deer (both sexes) every year but getting a shot.....well that is an entirely different matter.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
NW Ontario is done for. Most of the lodges close up after fishing season now. 10 years ago it was GREAT! It was hard to even rent a room/cabin a year in advance (no NR camping during deer season). It's empty now.

Wolves, winters and hunting pressure.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hunting up here early is tough I see deer because I track them. But there are deer here.early season its so thick deer will let you walk right by.but after the leaves fall game time

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I hunted the tupper lake and speculator tree farm when I was 19 years old with a few friends. We saw a lot of tracks but no deer other then a monster hanging from someones garage and one we saw at a check station on 87. It was a 4-5 hour drive there from NJ where I lived, wished at the time it was closer.

That said I would love to go up there a time or two in the immediate future.

H
H
It's not legal in ny but the locals that shoot deer every have one thing in common ? They bait bait bait plus ride the roads

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Our party has been hunting Hamilton County 35yrs and have taken at least 46 Buck's with at least 15 or so that dressed from 175 to 205lbs dressed.

A
A
Best option is to join a sportsmen club in the adirondacks. Better hunting and you will see more deer.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I loved the solitude in NY hunting but love the deer population much more in NC. It is an experience hunting in NY. If you look at it that way and go with some mates you will enjoy it. My best memories are from hunting camp there. Haven't been in about ten years but the guys still go every year.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
172 members (444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.