Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the market for a 13-1500 cu inch day pack for use when deer hunting. I have an ancient Badlands Monster Fanny (~ 10-1100 cu in), Eberlestock X2 (1800 cu in), and a Badlands SuperDay (2200 cu in). The Badlands is what I've been using for a whitetail day pack but is is jammed full with all my necessary junk plus food and water. 14-1500 cu in or so is absolutely perfect.

I spent several hours at Bass Pro yesterday and tried on BP, Tenzing, and Badlands packs. Really like the Tenzing packs.

Here's my issue: I'm 5'8" and have a 33" inseam which means I have a really short torso ~ 15" from C7 to Illac Crest. I'm actually looking at women's packs but can't quite go the pink trim. My other issue with women's pack is that I have a 43" chest which means most women's packs are a little narrow in the shoulder department.

Any idears?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm 5'11" and have a 29" inseam. I'll trade you inseams...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am built a lot like you and have found the Sitka Flash 20 is very comfortable but it does not do well to pack anything out with. I generally cary 25 lbs +/- in it.

The Mystery Ranch Bighorn with small yoke/belt also fits me well and can handle much more weight.

They are both bigger than you are looking at.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What don't you like about the X2?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've got an old Bianchi Pack that has 1500 ci. I don't know if they are still made, but it was my hunting pack until I decided I needed more capacity for extra clothing, etc., and went to a Kifaru Spike Camp.
Other than that, I'd head to a back packing shop, like REI, and see what fits in that size. I just gave away a small Badlands Pack. I've found that few companies that make packs, or clothing, for hunters can compete with those that make such things for mountaineers.
Trying to get by with a small hunting pack is tricky to do. I have been caught a out w/o proper clothing a few times. Hypothermia can kill uopu a few hours if you can't deal with it. E

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing wrong with X2 for that purpose. I use it alot when I'm hunting high and far. I'm trying to shave weight plus it has more capa ity than I need for my planned hunt this year - Adirondacks. I'm backpacking in and will also take a small light daypack so I don't have to use a 5000 cu in backpack. I put all my deer day hunt stuff in both the x2 and super day and there is alot of extra room and weight.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm calling Badlands on Monday to discuss their Stalker pack. 1400 cu in. I'm not crazy about the little skinny waist belt but my stuff only weighs 10.5 lbs with food and water.

Anyone have/use a Badlands Stalker?

Last edited by bwinters; 07/26/15.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
bwinters, I am also 5'8" and have 32" inseam. I go nowhere without a pack and it usually has way too much gear but that's what I do. Anyway, after using what seems to be a huge variety of packs I settled on the Crooked Horn master guide pack for most of my day/shorter hunts. It took me almost ten years of hard use but I have about worn mine out (but I have a backup that I bought here).

For anything extended I run an Eberlestock J1. Until you get into camping/hunting or something technical, I can't think of a better all around pack.

Crooked horn on left coming out heavy

[Linked Image]

Eberlestock out where it belongs

[Linked Image]

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bison Gear Lost River

Made in Montana

Warrented forever

Mine is 10 years old this fall.....5 states and 2 continents with plenty of blood stains and still going strong

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey David,

I've seen Crooked Horn before but have never had one in my hand. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Thanks.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tedthorn - those are nice looking packs. I really like a fanny type pack because you don't run into the short torso thing unless the yoke is designed 'tight' and results in a weird angle by your neck.

$275 is a bit stiff but if it was exactly the right pack, I'd by it.

Another call tomorrow.

Thanks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bwinters
Hey David,

I've seen Crooked Horn before but have never had one in my hand. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Thanks.

There's a lot to like in the Crooked horn. Padded spotter pocket, roomy cargo area, padded shoulder straps and belt. I would add a HPG water bottle carrier to the belt for easier access but other than that I've found no downside. If you'd like to try one out first I'd ship you my spare-see what you think of it and send it back. I won't need it til fall.

side view

[Linked Image]

front

[Linked Image]

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
Tedthorn - those are nice looking packs. I really like a fanny type pack because you don't run into the short torso thing unless the yoke is designed 'tight' and results in a weird angle by your neck.

$275 is a bit stiff but if it was exactly the right pack, I'd by it.

Another call tomorrow.

Thanks.

It's not a fanny pack

Its a lower 2/3 pack

Comes with a first load meat hauling system that will hold an entire elk hind quarter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like I said

Made for you....in Montana USA....NOT CHINA....one at a time

Forever warranty

Mine is a custom with no waist belt with internal pockets and longer lash staps

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am going to check out some Bison Gear stuff relatively soon, I think.

As if I need another pack, but...

Thanks, tedthorn!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have any experience with Nimrod packs, but I use one of their bino harnesses that is well-made. Their packs are pricey but made in the U.S. The pack harness comes in three separate sizes (M, L, XL), and the separate harness appears to be more than capable of supporting the 1300 cu.in. lumbar-style pack. Here is a link:

Nimrod Day Pack

Hill People Gear supposedly makes some good gear, but I haven't tried it. Here is a link to one of their U.S. made packs:

HPG Tarahumara Pack

Last edited by CoalCracker; 07/27/15.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey David - that is a very generous offer - thank you much. I may take you up on that in a week or two. I talked to a bunch of pack people yesterday and have 3 on the way to the house to review.

I'm likely to have a Badlands Super day and an Eberlestock X2 for sale in the near future. I really like both of them but my needs have changed in the last 5 years. I do alot more remote hunting and roaming. As such weight is a premium as is a lifetime warranty. I'm a bit hard on gear.....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Ted

I checked out the Lost River and liked the idea alot. I called them yesterday and got their VM. I'll try again today. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CC - thanks for the links. I'll check them out today as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SLM
I am built a lot like you and have found the Sitka Flash 20 is very comfortable but it does not do well to pack anything out with. I generally cary 25 lbs +/- in it.

The Mystery Ranch Bighorn with small yoke/belt also fits me well and can handle much more weight.

They are both bigger than you are looking at.

SLM, this reminds me I need to order the small yoke/belt as well. E-mailed MR last Fall and they said call but of course I forgot.

BW, I also used a BL 2200 for a few years and then bought a MR bighorn about 6 years ago. Major upgrade but pack fit is obviously subjective. The MR doesn't fit me perfectly(6' 200lbs) but close enough for the few times a year I actually find the time to use it.

I'm far from a pack expert but you can adjust the pack for length and also choose between different belts. It might work for you and make a great pack for day hikes and or hauling out a boned out deer.

Last edited by SamOlson; 07/27/15.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.