Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
First off I need to apologize to Jim for having taken so long to post this. Unfortunately I've had some "distractions" of late.

I finally got to shoot this rifle which I had Jim work on a while back. It started out as a standard action Pre War opened up to a 7mm Rem by Jack Belk. That rifle sat in my safe for nearly a decade as I just couldn't get it to shoot- no consistency irrespective of powder, bullet weight, etc. I sent the rifle to Jim and had him pull the LW barrel and put in a Broughton. He contoured, cut, threaded and chamber it to .300 Win. I had Jim open up the bottom (cloned a Pre war H&H action) and chisel out the stock to fit the H&H box. I also had him pillar bed the barreled action.

What is really impressive is not the quality of Jim's work, which is top notch but the "ungunsmith-like" quick turnaround time. I guess gun builders don't [bleep] around like gunsmiths (personal joke to Jim). I have used him for a few other projects, and again, very quick turnaround time and quality work. I can unequivocally say that Jim is an absolute pleasure to work with.

I no longer am allowed to shoot at home (we have 8 horses, cows, etc). So I dropped off the rifle to a retired gentleman with a full range outside his house who reloads for the local gun shop owner and the smith. He has the time and the setup to shoot POI groups when he works up loads- shoots one shot, brings the rifle inside, cools it off and again shoots one shot, again and again over the course of a day.

Well. Jim built me a shooter. That guy's worked up many a load for the shop and he said "that rifle will flat out shoot!!!!" Rifle's sweet spot is 71gr Norma MRP, WLRM, RWS brass and 180gr TSX @ 3055 fps. That day he settled in on that load every group had touching bullets.

Thanks again Jim.......outstanding work!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Sigh. Makes ya wish you had money and lived nearby.
(I got taxidermists I think the same about.)

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks.

Jim

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You know that I will second that with Kobe. He is quick, honest, and does very good quality work. He has done several rifles for me.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
+1 on Jim.

Great work, quick turnaround and fair prices.

DF

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
++1, Jim's work is top notch, fairly priced and delivered in a reasonable length of time.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Nice rifle, but holy hell let's hear about that Coues!! Great buck!!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks. He's an 8 x 7 with palmated beams. One of these days I'm gonna take him to a B&C scorer.....but been saying that for years though. Sonora Ol' Mexico ? '05 or '06. Shot 2 mulies back to back and a coyote that morning.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yeah, Jim threw a wrench into my plans too. I dropped off a rebarrel project with him. He said it would probably take 2-3 months, depending on barrel delivery. About 3 weeks later he called to let me know it was ready to be picked up. I just happened to be working from the Cities that day - so I had to change my whole plans for the day and run down and pick it up. Done a couple months before I anticipated it would be done. Darn him.

Looks like I'm going to take a few pictures and post them too once I get the load work up tuned in. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you hit the target when the bullets go in the same hole.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, same deal with my 98 FN/Shilen 6.5x55.

He has some stroke with Shilen and seems to be able to get a barrel much faster than most.

Not a bad problem to have.

DF

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beautiful!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim,

Is that a reworked bolt handle or a replacement? It appears to be thinner and could solve my pre-64 bolt handle/scope clearance issue.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by MikeS; 07/26/15.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
549 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.