Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by bearstalker

Any way you can ditch the sniper mentality? We're talking hunting rifles here.

So am I. My first response was to people that I are claiming near bench rest gun accuracy from 7lb magnum Kimbers.

Reality isn't for everybody.

I understand your point but I suspect most who claim benchrest accuracy are referring to less than 1 MOA or even 1/2 MOA with hunting rifles and groups, rather than "x's".

Dave

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am easier to please than most in what I expect out of my rifles. I just wanted the lightest gun I could buy for around $1K that was stainless and could shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards.

Kimber was easily the best option and haven't been bit yet. Yup it will never likely be shooting .5" groups ever (both due to the rifle and me). But for the ranges I shoot from on my hunts heck even a 2 MOA rifle at 300 yards is only 3" off center and still in the kill zone so I am more than good with my 1-1.5" groups.

Sure I'll get a fluke group that is between .5"-.75" but that isn't every time and don't need it to be. I just wanted the lightest gun to haul up the mountain that I could afford and still get it done simple as that.

If you are looking for extreme accuracy then my first advice would to not start with a rifle that starts out at 5 pounds or less. smile Not saying you can't get it at all, just saying I don't need extreme accuracy to shoot basketballs at 300 yards....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone ever check out a 6 lugger ultra lightweight? 5 3/4lbs just might be the answer, and from my experience you d on t have to phuqe with e m....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I am easier to please than most in what I expect out of my rifles. I just wanted the lightest gun I could buy for around $1K that was stainless and could shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards.

Kimber was easily the best option and haven't been bit yet. Yup it will never likely be shooting .5" groups ever (both due to the rifle and me). But for the ranges I shoot from on my hunts heck even a 2 MOA rifle at 300 yards is only 3" off center and still in the kill zone so I am more than good with my 1-1.5" groups.

Sure I'll get a fluke group that is between .5"-.75" but that isn't every time and don't need it to be. I just wanted the lightest gun to haul up the mountain that I could afford and still get it done simple as that.

If you are looking for extreme accuracy then my first advice would to not start with a rifle that starts out at 5 pounds or less. smile Not saying you can't get it at all, just saying I don't need extreme accuracy to shoot basketballs at 300 yards....

Real world perfect. Kimbers are not BR rifles, but carry around rifles. Those that think they are other than a good in the hand rifle and expect them to consistently shoot 0.5 or better are missing the role they play.

Melvin Forbes Nula's are extremely accurate for their weight, but he has mentioned their primary function is to be shot in the hand and in the field. They are hunting rifles first.

Last edited by battue; 07/26/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by battue

Real world perfect. Kimbers are not BR rifles, but carry around rifles. Those that think they are or try and hold them to the same standards-consistently 0.5 or better-are missing the role they play.

Melvin Forbes Nula's are extremely accurate for their weight, but he has mentioned their primary function is to be shot in the hand and in the field. They are hunting rifles first.

Very well stated. Those who think they shoud shoot along with their BR guns or the favorite PD poppers are missing the intent of the rifles. All of mine shoot very well for hunting rifles but I don't take any of them with me when its PD season around here. Same same if I want to impress my frieds with BR accuracy targets on the internet.

That said, they get the job done very well for their intended purpose which is being LW hunting rifles.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So what I have concluded from all your replies is I have a 50 - 50 chance of getting a bad rifle....

I am Canadian.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm two for two on good ones.

One was a .338fed that kicked too much to enjoy shooting it all that much, and it bounced too much off the bench for me to shoot consistent MOA. However, off the bench it rang steel out to 300 and I had more than a little confidence in it when hunting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by simplyme
So what I have concluded from all your replies is I have a 50 - 50 chance of getting a bad rifle....

I'm 7 for 7 with being happy with my Kimber results in the past roughly 8 years. I'll let you do the math for me.

To some extent, Kimbers are like Remington 700's. You generally only hear about the bad ones, which all makers do turn out occasionally. They are factory rifles and not custom rifles, but I'll buy another one when the right one comes along, and I won't worry all the way home wondering if I spent my money wisely. If it doesn't shoot 0.5 MOA "all day long if I do my part", I won't worry about it because it will likely shoot more than adequately for a LW hunting rifle with little or no tweeking.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

My sentiment as well. Genius really. grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My brand new .223 is shooting sub moa at 250 off a pack with fire form 50vmax and new brass. Relieved magbox in stock, adjusted trigger. Maybe I got a dud...

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I don't particularly have an issue with a true 2moa rifle for big game out to 500 or even pushing 600 yards. But My version of sub MOA, must be vastly different than most. I have used and seen quite a few really shot and have not seen a true sub MOA factory Montana bigger than 6mm. Even guys who swore that theirs was, right up until it came tme to shoot. Then there is all manner of excuses as to why it's not.

Have seen some that were 1-1.5 MOA and a bunch that were 1.5-2moa which is fine.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
...😁

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't particularly have an issue with a true 2moa rifle for big game out to 500 or even pushing 600 yards. But My version of sub MOA, must be vastly different than most. I have used and seen quite a few really shot and have not seen a true sub MOA factory Montana bigger than 6mm. Even guys who swore that theirs was, right up until it came tme to shoot. Then there is all manner of excuses as to why it's not.

Have seen some that were 1-1.5 MOA and a bunch that were 1.5-2moa which is fine.

Just a 'group' is not enough.

One to 1.5 moa is not my only requirement for an effective big game hunting rifle.

My first shot gets it done. The first shot at big game is by far the most important.

That the rifle stay sighted in is most important. Follow up shots want to be on as well but 'groups' are less important than hitting the game and not missing it with a 'group'!

I keep records that my hunting rifles stay sighted in. The Kimbers do very very well

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Just a 'group' is not enough.

One to 1.5 moa is not enough for an accurate big game hunting rifle.

My first shot gets it done. The first shot at big game is by far the most important.

That the rifle stay sighted in is most important. Follow up shots want to be on as well but 'groups' are less important than hitting the game and not missing it with a 'group'!

I keep records that my hunting rifles stay sighted in. The Kimbers do very very well

You say some weird schit. The accuracy of the rifle is different from the staying zeroed ability of the optic......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes hunting rifles differ from target rifles.

My target rifles get sighter shots when the match starts.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah - he hasn't had a clue in a while....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[/quote]
I keep records that my hunting rifles stay sighted in. The Kimbers do very very well [/quote]

Shouldn't you be giving praise to whatever optic you have mounted on the rifle instead of the rifle when referring to how well they stay sighted in???

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by GregW
Yeah - he hasn't had a clue in a while....

Ha! Pretty funny.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My Nula's are notorious for staying sighted in. Model 70's also and just recently a MRC rifle. Kimbers also.

And for more than one shot. Cousin had a Rem 760 pump that pretty much did the same. Hmmmmm

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Isn't accuracy the rifle's ability to duplicate the last shot(all things being equal) and marksmanship the ability of the shooter to place shots? I would rather have a larger group around the 'X' than a tiny group a ways off the 'X'.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,098
Posts18,464,148
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.