Print Thread
Hop To
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I was lucky enough to come into a 1920/26 a couple months back but haven't yet had a chance to shoot it. Tonight I was testing the trigger pull and came to the firm conviction that it's nothing more than a standard military two-stage pull. With that in mind I worked the trigger back in forth with the bolt cocked while being careful to not trip the sear. In a short bit the first stage cleaned up nicely and lost its stagey feel. I am sure I just knocked loose years of gunk, but it now has a fairly respectable two-stage pull that breaks at 4 3/4-ounces. Of course it's hard to tell how this translates into a real world value until I get it on a bench where, at times, it can feel like it takes the weight of the world just to trip a few meager ounces.

Last edited by S99VG; 07/15/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Use it a while and you'll get used to it. No big deal. It was a product of a time when a generation of guys had been exposed to bolt action high powered rifles for the first time, via The Great War, in which two stage pulls with their meaty sear engagement were de rigeur. Having grown up shooting Krags and Springfields such trigger pulls are second nature to me, in fact I have to catch myself sometimes when I shoot a gun with a "regular" trigger as six of my rifles have the two stage pull, including the M1920 and my Winchester 54 .30-30- commercial bolt guns that had no link to military use.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I too have logged in a number of hours on Springfield’s and Krags and find double pull triggers second nature. So I have to say that Savage 1920s and 20/26s actually have respectable two-stage trigger mechanisms and not the spongy one-stage systems that so many seem to complain about.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Somebody on GunsAmerica is trying to sell a blown up '03. Anybody interested?

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ooh ooh, pick me, pick me! (Not!)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a tricked out 1903 A3 Remington made. It was beautiful and glass bedded with perhaps a Douglas barrel. The bolt worked as slick as calf slobber. It was god awful heavy for my standards and still had the Military two stage trigger. I finally was able to get sub inch 100 yard groups with work and concentration (I had a cheap scope on it). I once handed to my friend who shoots 1000 yards a lot with Sakos ......he tried to dry fire it first before he shot it..........handed it back to me said he couldn't or wouldn't do it. My Uncle observed once to me ........we spent all this time bad mouthing the military two stage trigger.....then savage makes the accutrigger....and it is the bees knees. A different good buddies wife hunts with the A3 now. It ain't 4 sale she loves it.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an old Savage 99 with a trigger that feels very much like a 2 stage. Is this possible?
The initial pull is very long, then it hangs on a very light and short pull for the remainder.

Thoughts?

This is an old gun, in excellent shape, and very clean and gunk free inside. Serial number not handy but its at least 1922 or a bit earlier.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I could guess that the top half of the engagement surface on the hammer (striker) is a little rough, and the surface down low is smooth where the last bit of the tip of the sear is left hanging before let-off? Another one of those impossible to diagnose things without having the gun in front of you.

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
What gnoahhh says makes sense to me about 1899guy's trigger. I guess you either like or hate two-stage pulls. I never found them overly challenging. You take up the slack until you feel the sear engagement and then, at that point, you are ready to do your business. You never pull a two-stage trigger through in one continual stroke. Of course it is possible to have a very crappy two-stage trigger, i.e., tons of creep in the final stage.

Last edited by S99VG; 07/21/15.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A few days ago while shooting down at my hunting pard's farm, another guy showed up who was a self proclaimed "expert". My buddy assured me I would enjoy meeting him as he "really knows his stuff". I had my '03A1 Springfield, Winchester 54 .30-30 bolt gun, and a couple Savages with me. After criticizing me soundly for shooting cast bullets so much ("You'll ruin your barrels"), he flatly refused to shoot any of my rifles because of the 2-stage triggers on the bolt guns ("They mess you up for shooting 'real' guns") and because the Savage 99s (1899s, actually) are weaker than bolt actions and as such are dangerous to shoot [sic]. He then proceeded to brag about the multiple deer he killed with the rig he had with him- a Remington of some sort, .300 magnum of some sort, Hubble telescope on top that I swear was 1/2 as big as the rifle, and a bipod (of course)- utilized for scraggly whitetails in close range brush. After shooting, and stashing the guns, we all settled back for 'beer and bullshit'. After an hour or so more of listening to his inane pronunciations, I finally had enough and sort of blew up at him and told him to get his head out of his ass and make an effort to learn something instead of depending on old wive's tales, slick gun rag 'writings', and latrine gossip. I definitely did not make a new friend on Saturday...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
A few days ago while shooting down at my hunting pard's farm, another guy showed up who was a self proclaimed "expert". My buddy assured me I would enjoy meeting him as he "really knows his stuff". I had my '03A1 Springfield, Winchester 54 .30-30 bolt gun, and a couple Savages with me. After criticizing me soundly for shooting cast bullets so much ("You'll ruin your barrels"), he flatly refused to shoot any of my rifles because of the 2-stage triggers on the bolt guns ("They mess you up for shooting 'real' guns") and because the Savage 99s (1899s, actually) are weaker than bolt actions and as such are dangerous to shoot [sic]. He then proceeded to brag about the multiple deer he killed with the rig he had with him- a Remington of some sort, .300 magnum of some sort, Hubble telescope on top that I swear was 1/2 as big as the rifle, and a bipod (of course)- utilized for scraggly whitetails in close range brush. After shooting, and stashing the guns, we all settled back for 'beer and bullshit'. After an hour or so more of listening to his inane pronunciations, I finally had enough and sort of blew up at him and told him to get his head out of his ass and make an effort to learn something instead of depending on old wive's tales, slick gun rag 'writings', and latrine gossip. I definitely did not make a new friend on Saturday...

Sounds like a real piece of work. I wouldn't have made it 5 minutes with a clown like that. These days my patience is about zero though.

LOL
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Sometimes it just feels good telling some well deserving yahoo to pull his head out of his ass. Afterwords you feel like you did the universe a necessary right, kind of like Steinbeck put it best,"once again the world was spinning in greased grooves."

Last edited by S99VG; 07/22/15.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 1899guy
I have an old Savage 99 with a trigger that feels very much like a 2 stage. Is this possible?
The initial pull is very long, then it hangs on a very light and short pull for the remainder.

Thoughts?

The apparent two stage trigger could be due to the hole, through the receiver bolt that the firing pin slides in, being excessively large for the diameter of the firing pin shaft.

Starting with a cocked 99 mechanism, as the trigger is pulled to the rear, it levers down the sear. The sear is holding back the cocking piece fixed to the rear of the firing pin.

If the firing pin hole in the bolt has too great of a diameter, where the sear contacts the cocking piece varies depending on the position of the firing pin shaft in the sloppy hole. If the firing pin shaft is at the bottom of the hole when caught by the sear, the trigger will have less travel before it breaks. If the shaft is at the top of the hole when caught by the sear, then the trigger will have some travel before the firing pin shaft makes contact with the bottom of the hole so it can then be tripped.

By taking off the butt stock and then working the lever, one can observe if what is described above is taking place.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Just another example of all the subtle things that take place inside a 99 action!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
... we want video or at least sound recordings from the event! grin

Keep up the good work. smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,275
Posts18,467,528
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.