Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just want to get back to were I can order a case of rimfire any time I want it.

Last edited by Szumi; 07/27/15.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
How many of us look for .22 ammo anytime we go into a sporting goods store, and if there's any on the shelves buy some? Before 2012, we took for granted that .22's would be there whenever we wanted some, so we didn't buy any unless there was a really good deal, or we wanted some to plink or hunt with sometime soon.

How many of us keep more on hand than we ever did before?

Did recently hear through a local sporting goods store owner that one of the major ammo makers was cutting back on .22 rimfire production. The reason? They never made much profit on it anyway, and what with hiring on more workers and having to pay them overtime, they've been making even less profit since 2012. They've been going pretty much 24/7 since then, and it still hasn't fill the demand, so why should they continue to barely make a profit? And if they invest in another factory, they'll be making "cheap" .22 Long Rifles (the kind we keep demanding) at a loss for several years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
How many of us look for .22 ammo anytime we go into a sporting goods store, and if there's any on the shelves buy some? Before 2012, we took for granted that .22's would be there whenever we wanted some, so we didn't buy any unless there was a really good deal, or we wanted some to plink or hunt with sometime soon.

Did recently hear through a local sporting goods store owner that one of the major ammo makers was cutting back on .22 rimfire production. The reason? They never made much profit on it anyway, and what with hiring on more workers and having to pay them overtime, they've been making even less profit since 2012. They've been going pretty much 24/7 since then, and it still hasn't fill the demand, so why should they continue to barely make a profit? And if they invest in another factory, they'll be making "cheap" .22 Long Rifles (the kind we keep demanding) at a loss for several years.

Not buying that. Raise your price to account for higher costs. You don't cut production to make less money. Only a fool would do the above. Demand remains at an all time high a a public willing to pay a higher than historic price.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jnyork: I disagree with your theory.
I know LOTS of gun store owners who give me a different view of things - to a person they say they are seeing LESS 22 ammo nowadays, WAY less than in previous years to stock their shelves with!
I think part of THAT is the big mail order outfits are selling more through the mails and it never sees a stores (LGS) shelves!
And I think the ammo makers are concentrating more and more on the high profit centerfire and 17 HMR markets - foresaking the obvious need for MORE 22 L.R. quality ammo?
I don't know for sure - but I do know for sure that ALL the stores I frequent seldom if ever have quality American made high velocity hollow-point 22 L.R. ammo - and this has been going on since October of 2,012!!!
I know that is when this "shortage" started because I was paying attention and wrote it down - October 2,012 (thats when it became glaringly obvious that barack husein obama would be re-elected!).
Thats 33 straight months now of "not enough" 22 ammo on stores shelves - something nefarious is afoot - NOT just some hoarders and greedy people.
I, like you, do FEAR the coming presidency of the hildabeast though!
LOTS of things will get worse when that comes about - not just ammo shortages
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

This.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Also -- a slightly higher price from the manufacturer and corresponding increase at the retail store will stop the re-sellers and hoarders.

After they stop the price will go back down. Just look at what happened recently with bacon prices...

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Good point ya got there.
Too bad it's on top of your head.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember the good ol' days, when a brick still had 500 rounds in it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just to add grist to the rumor mill. The guy behind the counter of Ross coin and gun in Idaho Falls told me the other week that the Federal rep had been in and he told them that there was no way they were going to ramp up production of 22lr. It was making them too much money. They can sell every round they make right now. If they flood the market and meet demand, the demand will go away and they ultimately lose money. The current shortage is also good for dealers according to the Federal rep via the guy at Ross. They can sell all they can get ahold of at higher profit margins.

That all makes a certain amount of sense. I'm not sure I can buy all of it as told but it explains why this idiocy is still going on.

The guy at Ross also said that ALL Federal ammo is going up 20% across the board.

For what it's worth.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I remember the good ol' days, when a brick still had 500 rounds in it.

It's not just .22s. There are a few people here I think are a few rounds short of a full brick.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not buying that. Raise your price to account for higher costs. You don't cut production to make less money. Only a fool would do the above. Demand remains at an all time high a a public willing to pay a higher than historic price. [/quote]

Yep

Economics point zero 01

Even this hick in the sticks can do that math.

Last edited by Archerhunter; 07/27/15.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The truth is, your "pro-gun" Teamster neighbor voted for black guy. Black guy won, and gun owners have been running scared since.

The retailers could end the shortage in 9-12 months, but they're too afraid of drowning in everybody's tears. That includes the loyal Teamster-types because Lord knows they cry they absolute-fugking-loudest.

So buy Eley (or similar), or don't, because I can assure you this problem ain't going away.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
The truth is, your "pro-gun" Teamster neighbor voted for black guy. Black guy won, and gun owners have been running scared since.

The retailers could end the shortage in 9-12 months, but they're too afraid of drowning in everybody's tears. That includes the loyal Teamster-types because Lord knows they cry they absolute-fugking-loudest.

So buy Eley (or similar), or don't, because I can assure you this problem ain't going away.

Travis

Quit making sense.

Yeah, I took off ignore already.
GFY

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Waste of time to look for it around here.
Stupid question is --'Got any 22?'

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I haven't seen any cheap ammo for a long time, but several local stores have been stocking quality target ammo pretty regularly for several months. It is 14-16 cents/round but not out of line for what you get.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Still hard to find here, too.

I tried reloading some.
Seating primers is a bitch.

TFF laugh

Swifty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
.22LR is a bitch to find, .22 mag even worse. 17 hmr is everywhere, gonna buy one soon. For my .22 plinking I have went from my rem 597 to my savage 24 cause I don't burn through it as fast.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It is going to go down. There will come along some new thing like air rifles, or something that will make that stuff obsolete.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TheOldTree
It is going to go down. There will come along some new thing like air rifles, or something that will make that stuff obsolete.

Mmmmmmm.... no.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Still hard to find here, too.

I tried reloading some.
Seating primers is a bitch.

The super secret attachment for Dillon works great for seating primers... cool grin

[Linked Image]\

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cabelas up here has had it on the shelf the last two times I've been in.

Prices are up a bit from last year.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.