Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
"does anyone shoot name brand top line tubes on their ARs anymore?"

I've got one coming made from Readon steel...

After a long 10 days or so in my life that have been miserable in ways, that one got a chuckle out of me!

Not in yet?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
ARIC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SMACK
That Mod1 barrel isn't for competition. It's for varmints and predators. If your either. Those first three rounds are no joke.

And at 500 or 600 yards with a yote, one of the next 5-7 rounds will be a miss for sure.... just the way it works when posting 3 round groups.

Not that many folks I guess will shoot a yote or even a deer that far off though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what 240B is for... 750-950 rds a minute your going to hit something eventually smile

Last edited by 79S; 07/26/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
What's the intended use? Here is one for you Lawrence save youself $300-$400 bucks

https://www.stagarms.com/model-3g/

I've been eyeballing the hell out of that one.... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Stag 3G is a very good value........but they only guarantee 1.5", 3 shots.

They do guarantee < 1", 3 shots, with their Varmint model.

FWIW

MM

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's good to know. Thanks MM...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
That Mod1 barrel isn't for competition. It's for varmints and predators. If your either. Those first three rounds are no joke.

And at 500 or 600 yards with a yote, one of the next 5-7 rounds will be a miss for sure.... just the way it works when posting 3 round groups.

Not that many folks I guess will shoot a yote or even a deer that far off though.

[Linked Image]

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
After fondling some AR's today, I'm wondering what I should expect for accuracy from a Daniel Defense MK12? This one has a very nice Geissele trigger. Any of you guys running the MK12? Are they worth the $1,800.00 price tag and is there a better rifle to buy out there for less money. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the newbie questions, but have been kicking around the idea of getting an AR for a while now. Thanks...

I do own a Daniel Mk12. It is well made and reliable, but not a tack driver.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've managed a couple groups around 1.4 MOA for 10 shots. So far I have yet to hit on the combo that gives better accuracy. By contrast I have an Armalite bull barrel gun that is currently in 2nd place in the AR Challenge, which cost a heck of a lot less than the Daniel.

The DD MK12 barrel is an 18" CHF and nitrided barrel, which I expect should shoot fairly well for many thousands of rounds, hot or cold, rain or shine. Maybe I'll hit on the trick that makes it really shoot well, but I'm thinking I need someone else's barrel.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
After fondling some AR's today, I'm wondering what I should expect for accuracy from a Daniel Defense MK12? This one has a very nice Geissele trigger. Any of you guys running the MK12? Are they worth the $1,800.00 price tag and is there a better rifle to buy out there for less money. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the newbie questions, but have been kicking around the idea of getting an AR for a while now. Thanks...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've managed a couple groups around 1.4 MOA for 10 shots. So far I have yet to hit on the combo that gives better accuracy. By contrast I have an Armalite bull barrel gun that is currently in 2nd place in the AR Challenge, which cost a heck of a lot less than the Daniel.

The DD MK12 barrel is an 18" CHF and nitrided barrel, which I expect should shoot fairly well for many thousands of rounds, hot or cold, rain or shine. Maybe I'll hit on the trick that makes it really shoot well, but I'm thinking I need someone else's barrel.

Damn that news sucks. I still haven't made my mind up, but looking at some RRA rifles after shooting my buddies the other day. It shoots very well. I like the match grade trigger as well, but like the Geiselle SSA-E two stage better in the DD MK12. Your rifle is very nice. I'm kind of bummed your not getting better accuracy out of her...

BSA MAGA
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn that news sucks.

Keep in mind that's a 10 shot group. Not the best of the bunch but pretty respectable.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep, there's enough sub MOA 3 shot groups in there to make any 3 shot hero proud.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

[Linked Image]

Something that large you could easily hit at 500-600 yards with about any AR I'd suspect.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Damn that news sucks. I still haven't made my mind up, but looking at some RRA rifles after shooting my buddies the other day. It shoots very well. I like the match grade trigger as well, but like the Geiselle SSA-E two stage better in the DD MK12. Your rifle is very nice. I'm kind of bummed your not getting better accuracy out of her...

1800... buy a lower, without trigger, put Geiselle in it, go to White Oak Precision or any of the other top line smiths, have an upper done with a top line barrel, and everything concentric etc....Suspecting you can come in at 1800 or less with a proven shooter IMHO.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1800... buy a lower, without trigger, put Geiselle in it, go to White Oak Precision or any of the other top line smiths, have an upper done with a top line barrel, and everything concentric etc....Suspecting you can come in at 1800 or less with a proven shooter IMHO.

plus 1 on this advice

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'fraid I'll agree with Rost, at least as far as a practical using rifle.

In the case of the DD I've wound up replacing the trigger with a Geissele DMR, and replaced the stylish DD stock with the Magpul STR. I ordered a replacement bulb for my borescope, as I want to scrutinize the bore before I do anything else to it. Perhaps something simple will turn up.

One school of thought I have heard is for resale purposes, you are never going to recoup your investment with a parts gun - a complete unmodified rifle from the manufacturer will hold its value better. So depending on what I do, I'll save the parts, should I ever sell it.

But one of Noveske's barrels is looking pretty good right now. smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the match grade trigger as well, but like the Geiselle SSA-E two stage better in the DD MK12.

It has an SSA, not an SSA-E.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
YOu have to remember when folks talk accuracy, my mind goes straight to match winning acccurcy, I just don't like so so guns. Even though I hunt with a couple, I still don't like it.

Also, I don't sell guns, so resale is a non issue with me. I buy/build/have built what I want for specific uses or buy something for fun. Hence not selling.

I just don't buy and sell to play with things.

If I was buying for resale, it would be a big brand name for sure, like Colt mostly... as even the top names like Wilson Combat Noveske and so on can be hard to get your money back out of at times, while Colt has historically held value.

That said, I own a colt lower... came as a whole rifle but was junk for match shooting so thats the only colt I have, just the lower half sans the trigger.... learned that basically the cheapest upper, with the right barrel would shoot better than most factory assembled guns.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Show us a 10 round group.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep they just replaced my barrel with a new one I am not convinced it is better.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Noveske has no accuracy guarantee

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,368 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.