Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
since I fell on my hip a week or so ago, and aggrivated the severe osteo arthritis in my hip, I have been taking some sort of pain releiver.
Had some Percocet 5/325 left over from dental surgery, and half of one of those helped. Extra strength Tylenol other wise.
Ortho doc gave me some 10/325 Norco tabs. Those tend to keep me awake, but do kill all the pain. I took those for about a week, and then got off of 'em. Back to a single extra strength Tylenol.
One severe side effect for me, was an instant bump in my BP after taking one of the Norco tabs, and for a day after. About a 20 point jump. I got the ok from my cardio doc, but he said to use the Norco tabs sparingly.

stay away from narcos for osteo pain

celebrex or cheaper version mobic

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have interaction issues with Celebrex and a couple of my heart meds, or so I am told. Not suppsed to take any NSAIDS.
I am off the Norco now anyway, so it's a moot point.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kinda snapping out if today's umbilical hernia surgery.
While waking up, had an anxiety attack.
Was a mild one. Had to sit up, and made them open the doors in the room.
They gave me an anti anxiety pill, and it's working.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Paging Rattler.......

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what? yeah the stuff keeps some people awake....far from an unusual side effect for the stuff

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Not that it helps in any way, but after seeing three people get addicted to Hydrocodone, it is one drug that scares the crap out of me. When I had my ACL replaced, the surgeon prescribed it for me, but I just took Ibuprofen to manage the pain. That said, I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but everybody is different, so what works for me may not work for you.
Same here. I've had two shoulder operations, one of which involved taking a bone graft out of my hip to rebuild the socket. Only took Vicodin once or twice. I didn't need it and didn't like the way that it made me feel.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Well, it's a week after my unfortunate "incident" and I'm mending well. Took those damn pills for almost a week, at times, 3 per day. Had to take the last one nlt 6pm to get any sleep. Now that the pain is gone, I have ZERO urge to start popping pills. They took the edge off of the pain, but did nothing else for me.

"The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by DoeSlayer
Well, it's a week after my unfortunate "incident" and I'm mending well. Took those damn pills for almost a week, at times, 3 per day. Had to take the last one nlt 6pm to get any sleep. Now that the pain is gone, I have ZERO urge to start popping pills. They took the edge off of the pain, but did nothing else for me.

Good to hear.

Keep healing!

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The old lady is back home tomorrow after being gone for almost 2 weeks cry.
Another week of peace & quiet would have greatly aided my healing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Not that it helps in any way, but after seeing three people get addicted to Hydrocodone, it is one drug that scares the crap out of me. When I had my ACL replaced, the surgeon prescribed it for me, but I just took Ibuprofen to manage the pain. That said, I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but everybody is different, so what works for me may not work for you.
Same here. I've had two shoulder operations, one of which involved taking a bone graft out of my hip to rebuild the socket. Only took Vicodin once or twice. I didn't need it and didn't like the way that it made me feel.

the addiction thing is SOMEWHAT overstated....there are two different things, physical and mental addiction....if your a coffee drinker(or other type of caffeine) or a smoker you deal with physical addiction....not that hard to deal with, you just taper yourself off over a couple days and you dont have much of an issue

the psychological addiction depends pretty much on how your brain is wired....with most people its a nonissue....they just will never actually become addicted....ive taken opiates daily for 15 years and this has been a non issue because its not how my brain is wired.....every time the docs want to try something else ive been all for it, unfortunately nothing else works well one thing does but its frowned apon even more.....

if you are recovering from surgery and the doc is saying your gonna need pain meds for a short while i would not worry bout the whole addiction thing at all....you are usually far better off taking the meds so that you can do the physical therapy pain free or nearly so as it will shorten the healing time and get you back to 100% or nearly so alot faster and get you out of being in pain alot faster...you are dealing with short term acute pain which is what opiates are great for, its the treatment of chronic pain where most the issues arrise

as im guessing BGG is just giving me chit over is my b!tching in the past, my b!tching has been related totally to the physical addiction end because of what i take and the political bullchit(not medical) thats lead to what i have to deal with getting my meds from a doc, chit im sure most people wouldnt be anymore willing to put up with than i am if they were in my position.....

but i am not taking a few vicoden a day for a week or two after surgery and i cant just quit taking my meds with out a severe reaction.....me just stopping because i cant get my meds means missing several days of work while my body goes through withdrawls....but once again im on significantly more than docs gives a person to recover from surgery....if you took the pills every day for 10 days the doc gives you for post op than quit cold turkey your gonna have a crappy day but not a big deal...taper off over 2 or 3 days and your not gonna notice much of anything....

trying to heal in pain is often very counter productive, especially when dealing with things like neck, back and shoulder surgery, the muscles unhappy and tense during the healing will often cause more long term issues...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Doeslayer,

There is always this advice for your pending meeting...

Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Calling Dr. Daniels, Dr. Jack Daniels...

YMMV

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My experience has been likewise. After suffering furious sciatic pain, hydrocodone produced zero pain relief and only made my nose itch. Recently, I have wrenched my right shoulder. The first tramadol pill I took seemed to reduce the level of pain abed but when I take them while using my right arm on the mouse or shaking hands or otherwise reaching out or over this drug is useless.

I want to express my best wishes to the OP for quick and painless as possible recovery.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The pressure will be good for you now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was sent home from the hospital from having brain surgery to remove an acoustic neuroma tumor with a script for hydrocodone.

I slept fine with it. The only side effect I noticed was things seemed bigger. The 24" TV seemed like a big screen. The small portable phone seemed like one of those huge field military phones in my hand. The funny thing is I could sit there and talk about it knowing that it wasn't real.

The stuff worked...never in any pain and weaned off of the drug after 2 weeks.

Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if hydrocodone doesnt work for you and you do need the pain relief following surgery there are other opiates to try...ive never had the itching side effect with the 4 different opiates ive been on over the years but have talked to plenty of people where only one of the bunch caused itching and a few where all did....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lockhart
My experience has been likewise. After suffering furious sciatic pain, hydrocodone produced zero pain relief and only made my nose itch. Recently, I have wrenched my right shoulder. The first tramadol pill I took seemed to reduce the level of pain abed but when I take them while using my right arm on the mouse or shaking hands or otherwise reaching out or over this drug is useless.

I want to express my best wishes to the OP for quick and painless as possible recovery.

speaking from experiance, opiates, even really strong ones do jackchit for sciatic pain.....they are good for pain at the source like post op pain or a broken arm but "phantom pain" where the pain is away from the source due to a nerve being pinched it works really poorly.....i had better luck with advil for relief from a bulged disk due to it reducing the inflammation at the site than i did morphine....in that case all opiates do is knock you loopy so you dont care your in pain and thats where you run into addiction risks cause you start chasing tolerance build up

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I learned that and thanks for the affirmation. I chuck 4 Advil for routine pain. AT 270 that always works for me but not for this shoulder. 2 Alleve do no good either and Tylenol has killed too many so I shun that no matter what.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
different NSAIDs work best for different people....been on them all trying to stay off the opiates for my knees and in the end stuff like Celebrex has been a godsend for some but for me Advil works the best of the group, far better than any of the perscription ones but none works truly really well for me for more than a headache or very minor stuff(pinched nerve from bulged disk being an exception)....if something doesnt work for you but seems to work for alot of people with the same issue its generally a good idea to check and see if there is something else in the family of drugs that may work better for you....

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My preferred poison was scotch. Nothing fancy, usually Johnny Walker Red. I don't do that anymore, though this past week may have been a mite easier w/a little help wink.

My wife's not a bad one as women go. Of course, she has some of the gender's faults, though not all. I plan on taking that up with God in a few years. I guess I could be worse off.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by DoeSlayer
My preferred poison was scotch. Nothing fancy, usually Johnny Walker Red. I don't do that anymore, though this past week may have been a mite easier w/a little help wink.

My wife's not a bad one as women go. Of course, she has some of the gender's faults, though not all. I plan on taking that up with God in a few years. I guess I could be worse off.

More good news! You are truly a lucky man...well, outside of the burns!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.