Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I am hoping to do a moose hunt in Newfoundland, and will use my Remington 700 .300 Winchester Mag. I used Nosler Partitions on an elk hunt last year and they did their job fine on that hunt, but I'm intrigued by these Barnes bullets and would like to try the,. Does anyone have any doubt that they would not kill a moose in my rifle (dumb question, I'm sure), provided they shoot well enough? Also, is there any real difference between the TSX and the TTSX in performance? From what I have seen the tipped bullet has a little better BC, but in actual on game performance is there any difference?

Part of the reason I am asking is when I was hunting in WY, a hunter came in while I was there and shot a bull elk with them in a .338 RUM, and the bullet was literally stopped on the shoulder of the elk. The hunter and his guide were scratching their heads on that one,it was a good shot and was confirmed when they skinned the bull, but that was after a lengthy follow up and several more shots. I believe it was a 225-grain TTSX that the hunter had the failure with. It was a failure, too- the guide was convinced after the bull was down that it would not have killed the elk given the penetration from the initial shot. I know "stuff" happens, but I just wanted to make sure this was an isolated incident, before I spend much time finding a load my rifle likes with these bullets.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That elk story sounds like a fish story. You're not going to have any trouble with a Barnes. I've read that the plastic tip initiates expansion better, so might be better at the longest ranges where velocity is falling off. In theory.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve put somewhere over a dozen XFBs and TSXs into or through various moose in the making of meat. I still have the very first one I killed a moose with - after breaking both shoulders with a 225 XFB from a 340 Weatherby. They’re a very good bullet when they work right, and they are an excellent choice when shooting bone or when using one of the faster cartridges. The TTSX is the way I’d go though for moose which are heavier obstacles, either will undoubtedly work. Be not afraid to shoot bones with these bullets; (it’ll do nothing but make them work even better.) Don’t be surprised if you catch a bullet though. I’ve had over half a dozen Barnes monos stay inside various moose I’ve killed.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The ttsx is my favorite bullet these days - it shoots accurately in my rifles and breaks bone if needed. From a 7mm RM my 150 broke spine and shoulder on a large boar at a little over 500 yards. I've had them penetrate end to end on an elk facing me and drop them in their tracks from better angles. I don't think you will be disappointed with them.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
First time Ive heard of a failure with ANY TTSX....Hmmmmmm...

That said, Im a fan. Load them up and go slay a moose!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I find it hard to reason how a 225gr .338" diameter solid piece of copper might have been stopped in its tracks on the near side shoulder, unless perhaps buddy had a squib load and didn't realize it.

Anyway, yes the TTSX is among the best bullets in existence for use from your .300WM on moose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How, exactly, did the 225 grain .338" fail? If it did not expand, I can't see any way at all that bullet didn't zip through like an FMJ without it being a severe squib load or the equivalent at extremely long range. If it expanded and stopped, then the same velocity issue is the only way I can see that happening.

Also, define "good shot"? A broadside shoulder shot just doesn't make sense with that little penetration (see above). Now, if it was a raking shot through the "rear shoulder" forward and the bullet stopped after that much penetration, then that's a different story.

Something just doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 4ager

Something just doesn't make sense.

Yeah...... since this was secondhand heresay..I have real doubts.
I couldn't tell you how many Nosler Partitions Ive heard of that have "failed".....all second hand. Never seen one myself.

Same with this .338 TTSX...I'd have to see it to believe it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I don't know the exact angle of the shot because I wasn't with them, the bullet did expand, they showed me the bullet they pulled out of the shoulder bone. Maybe it was a squib load, they said the shot sounded ok, like I said- they were scratching their heads on that one too, couldn't explain it. I just wanted to make sure it was a freak thing, because I really would like to try them out on my next hunt, I'm definitely not knocking the bullet because before that, I heard pretty much nothing but good about them.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm curious if he bounced the TTSX into the elk.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Even is smaller bores they do well.

In my 26 Nos, the 120 TAC-X is the most accurate bullet, half MOA at 400 yds. And, at 3,400 fps, they do impressive damage to hogs and WT's.

I'd probably go with a bigger bore for big critters, but think this one would take one out, pronto.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JustinL1
I used Nosler Partitions on an elk hunt last year and they did their job fine on that hunt

The Barnes are some of my favorites but, man, if it ain't broken.........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by JustinL1
I used Nosler Partitions on an elk hunt last year and they did their job fine on that hunt

The Barnes are some of my favorites but, man, if it ain't broken.........

Yep.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
secondhand heresay..

OK spelling nazi, is that supposed to be hearsay, or heresy?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
secondhand heresay..

Would you believe spelchek let that one slip by?....... whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Below is the first big game animal I took with a Barnes 168 tsx out of a 300 wsm back in 2004. One shot quartering away bullet under a pocket of skin on opposite shoulder. Bullet weight was 167 grains after recovery, heck might of been that before but one way or the other it's pretty good retention.

I have used nothing but tsx, ttsx, and lrx since then all with the same boring outstanding results. Different game, different cartridges, different distances, different conditions it all ends the same for me.

I even included a pic of a 225 grain ttsx out of a 338 win mag from a bear a few years ago.

I'm not worried about any failures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking bullets. The 338 bullet worked just fine on that bear.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
210 ttsx, 338-06 not at top speeds, moose at about 125 yards, broke neck, through scapula on off side, found under skin

210 grains.

No doubts in my mind...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
130 grain TSX out of a 270WBY MAG at 3500 fps kills everything I put one through. Shoots as flat as the 26 Nosler, don't know my they think they reinvented the wheel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
secondhand heresay..

Would you believe spelchek let that one slip by?....... whistle

Yes, because it let spelchek (sic) slip by...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.